Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
Cute article, tailor made for the Canadian Audience with the detail about where their country ranks on that list(info about the criteria and just how they are weighted is not provided by the way), as well with the info that all Canadians want to know: how America is ranked.

This is so true about Canadians in general( yes some exceptions): they are just so fascinated with America. For example, if there were no laws on the books regarding Canadian radio stations, not a single Canadian performer would be heard as the Canadian listening audience would only want to hear Americans singing. So the laws are there to ram something into the ears of people who don't want to hear it. And like good little sheeple, they don't complain.

Sorry, Ds, he's inadvertently hiding behind you but I have to take my shots.

Oh by the way, as of the noon exchange rate, the Canadian Dollar is only worth 97 cents of American currency.

Must really suck traveling as a Canadian these days( if it sucked for us when your dollar was higher ,Klein, then it must suck for you when our dollar is higher).

Yup, we alwaays compare ourselves to other countries, esspecially our neighbour the USA.
I know the US media stays mostly away from comparison their neighbor (must be a reason).

As for songs playing on the radio, you are right, that 15 or 20% of radio songs must be from Canadian artists.
But, we as a country also have the second highest people in the entertainment sector on this world.
If we don't listen to the songs here from Canadian artists, then we hear them from the Superbowl or in Vegas (Celine Dion), or in American movies (Titanic / Celion Dion - Bryan Adams / Robin Hood).

Other great singers and bands include the "Guess Who", "BTO", Shania Twain, Nickleback, just to name a few out of hundreds of famous Canadian singers.

As far as the Canadian dollar goes, we are more than happy with a 90cent to a US dollar.
Everytime we get near the par per dollar, it really hurts our manufacturing sector.
We do earn more money here, then US workers.
Our minimum wage is even higher then you pay part timers at UPS there !

Besides, a dollar value doesn't mean diddly - You think Greece is better off then America because they have a Euro that is worth apprx $1.30 per US buck ? Or England at around $1.50 per pound against the greenback ?

klein

As per our national anthem :

"The True North strong and free!"

righttodie_cp_450.jpg

B.C. Supreme Court gives woman right-to-die

Laws banning doctor-assisted suicide are deemed unconstitutional and discriminatory for the grievously ill. Details

klein

Since the US, Detroit and Michigan are broke, Canada will build the damn thing !

harper_450.jpg

Canada to build new $1,000,000,000 bridge to U.S.

Our nation is expected to pick up the tab for the new crossing, created to alleviate congestion at the busiest border. Location

P

pickup

Yup, didn't even take 16 hrs to capture him, even though he managed to drive over 1000 miles from Edmonton (he must have driven all night and day).
The Mounties always get their man ! :)

Yeah, after a foreign country arrests him.

P

pickup

It says near the US border ! Not the US border !!!!!
Wishful thinking though !

Are you drunk? Seriously. Captured by U.S. Border officials IN Washington State. The American town in which he was apprehended is near the border. Do you bother reading these articles???

moreluck

golden ticket member
Are you drunk? Seriously. Captured by U.S. Border officials IN Washington State. The American town in which he was apprehended is near the border. Do you bother reading these articles???
Maybe Lynden, Washington was annexed to Canada and we werent' aware of it.......I hate when that happens !

klein

ok, I opologize, both of you are right.
Then again , I didn't expect him to be able to cross the border anyways, after an international manhunt for him was released.
I assume they ley him cross over, just to not have some kind of clamotion going on at the border, and then set up road blocks.

Good job, people ! :)

klein

Hey, I`m dead tired today, worked until 1am last night, woke up before 6am, did day shift, got home at after 5pm.
Been working 14 days straight - finally have 2 days off now, it`s a blessing :)

DS

Fenderbender
Must really suck traveling as a Canadian these days( if it sucked for us when your dollar was higher ,Klein, then it must suck for you when our dollar is higher).

When you're on vacation does 3 cents on the dollar really mean anything?
I would like to think that this thread was for stuff that happens here,not a
my dads better than your dad thing.
--------------------------------------------
That said,this is nasty.Some creep shot 3 of his fellow workers in an armored car heist.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/15/three-dead-after-shooting-at-edmonton-university-of-alberta

Last edited: