Official Canada Thread with Current News

klein

Für Meno :)
Wow - same day news , and already out the window for now !

Feds halt border listening plan pending study of privacy implications

OTTAWA - The federal government has put the brakes on eavesdropping at border points.

A spokeswoman for Public Safety Minister Vic Toews says he has told the Canada Border Services Agency to halt audio monitoring until a study of the privacy implications is complete.
Julie Carmichael says Toews wants a privacy impact assessment from the border agency and recommendations from the federal privacy commissioner.

klein

Europe to Canada: Don't lecture us

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has taken his tough talk about the European economic crisis to the G20 summit in Mexico, but his position earned him some criticism Monday from the head of the European Commission.

That kind of tough talk has irritated some of Canada’s key EU partners here.
In a news conference, European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso expressed frustration that Canada and the U.S. have refused to contribute to an IMF fund to help Europe — something all other countries here have agreed to.

Canada and the United States reject the idea of contributing to the IMF, a position Harper repeated Monday. Canada already pledged $10 billion to the fund in 2009.

klein

Sweeping immigration changes to give new power to minister

Sweeping changes proposed in a new immigration bill would give new powers to the minister of immigration, including the ability to allow automatic deportation for any non-Canadian sentenced to more than six months in jail."I think you can call them dangerous, you can call them serious, we don't want them in Canada anymore, and that's the bottom line," Kenney told Chris Hall on CBC News Network's Power & Politics.
"If you are a foreign national and you want the privilege of staying in Canada, don't commit a serious crime.… I don't think that's too much to ask people."

Kenney suggested one of the reasons for the changes is that judges sometimes sentence people to two years less a day to allow them to keep their immigration appeals. The current law allows an appeal for those sentenced to less than two years.
"If you commit a serious crime in Canada, we are going to send you packing as quickly as we can," Kenney said.
In their election campaign platform last year, the Conservatives promised to streamline deportations of "foreign criminals" from Canada.

Kenney last year also froze applications from foreign parents and grandparents to join their children in Canada, but introduced a new "super-visa" that allows family members to visit Canada for up to 10 years provided they have a minimum annual income and arrange their own health insurance.

P

pickup

Wow, same speech by two different prime ministers of two different countries. Especially obvious from 48 seconds on. Australia and Canada, what do they have in common?? You guessed it ? The same Queen and the same scriptwriter.

If you had cameras behind these Prime ministers's backs you would see the Queen's arm up their :censored2: as she practices her ventriloquism.

Bow to the Queen, Bow to the Queen. Good boys.

Stephen Harper and Oz Prime Minister John Howard SAME SPEECH - YouTube

klein

OH well, what can I say ? The 2 richest countries on earth think alike ! :)
(and no, moreluck, it's doesn't go by GDP) !

What was the latest data ? Every single Canadian is worth $195.000 in national worth.
Every single US citizen owns about $55.000 in national debt !

No big deal, only a $260.000 spread between each child, woman, man.
Or a family of 4 just over a $1 million difference. right ?

Last edited:
P

pickup

OH well, what can I say ? The 2 richest countries on earth think alike ! :) They weren't thinking alike, they were following the same marching orders.
(and no, moreluck, it's doesn't go by GDP) ! Oh Golly Gee, so let us see in the next paragraph, what the all omniscient Klein thinks it goes by.

What was the latest data ? Every single Canadian is worth $195.000 in national worth. okay, so I guess it goes by national worth.
Every single US citizen owns about $55.000 in national debt ! oh , now it goes by national debt? Comparing apples to oranges , are you Klein?

look at this link :
Canada's National Debt Clock : The Canadian Taxpayers Federation Looks like the national debt per Canadian Citizen is about $16,900 , round that up to 17,000. So while better than the average American citizen, it appears that you , My Dear Mr. Klein, along with all of your fellow Canadians , are on the negative side of the ledger.

No big deal, only a $260.000 spread between each child, woman, man. According to share of national debt per citizen, the spread is only $38,000 between a Canadian citizen and a US citizen.
Or a family of 4 just over a $1 million difference. right ? WRONG!, yet again.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OH well, what can I say ? The 2 richest countries on earth think alike ! :)
(and no, moreluck, it's doesn't go by GDP) !

What was the latest data ? Every single Canadian is worth $195.000 in national worth.
Every single US citizen owns about $55.000 in national debt !

No big deal, only a $260.000 spread between each child, woman, man.
Or a family of 4 just over a $1 million difference. right ?
So, where is the GDP you mentioned? Gross Domestic Product. Drink another !!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Anyone recall in what thread klein made some remark about Canadian firefighter would be needed to combat US fires ?

[h=1]Colorado's 'Epic Firestorm' Reveals Danger of Air Force Cuts[/h]http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/colorados-epic-firestorm-reveals-danger-air-force-cuts_647897.html

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
canadaday.gif

canadfireworks.gif
canadaday.gif
canadfireworks.gif

DS

Fenderbender
You know,us regular folk are the same as you.I did read today that only one in four Canadians now were actually born here,so maybe that's one difference.I also read that Americans speak more Spanish than we do French.One thing we have in common is politics.I found this today and it made me think about your upcoming election.This is a contest Tim Hortons runs every year.

cam033111_canadian_frustrationrgb.jpg

My wife had to babysit today,so I'm surfing and waving my own flag :)

klein

shhh, he whose name must not be mentioned has not been seen in days , don't encourage him to show up again.

I spent Canada Day and the fireworks at Canada's largest outdoor rock festival selling hotdogs ! Awesome time, again ! They put me in a good spot, too. Right at the Beer tent - barter traded - cold beer for hotdogs ! :) (Beer was $6 a can ) !

klein

mountie450.jpg

Clip wows viewers: 'Canadian police are the best'

A Mountie caught a group of friends shredding in the woods — so he did what no one expected.

The video posted by a user who lives in Lethbridge in southern Alberta shows a group of friends camping in the woods with their band gear when a cop car pulls up.
The posting says the chums thought they'd done something wrong when the officer came over, but he grabbed a guitar and played a bit before jumping behind a drum set.
The video entitled "Coolest Cop Ever Playing Drums in the Woods" isn't clear where the jam session happened.

Now called 'Coolest Cop Ever'

(if you do watch the video - make sure to watch the last 2 minutes) - I'm wondering if the cop will be in trouble - because you even see open beer laying around - which is illegal here on public land).

P

pickup

Right at the Beer tent - barter traded - cold beer for hotdogs ! :) (Beer was $6 a can ) !

So let's see, 8,000 hot dogs brought to the event, 500 sold, 7,500 traded for beer. Net loss: 10,000 dollars. Experience getting drunk : PRICELESS.