Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

moreluck

golden ticket member
I already know that John Travolta is free to fly his personal jet anywhere he wants to. When the Haiti earthquake happened, he was one of the first stars to deliver supplies to the stricken region. He lives in Florida for God's sake! The following will tell you where he chose to fly his personal jet........Yes, I know he's a private citizen, but wouldn't it had been a good publicity for him to help out with the oil spill??:sad-little:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
GULF HELP HELD UP BECAUSE OF UNIONS?

This BP situation keeps getting more interesting. Within two weeks of the spill thirteen nations offered assistance. They have all been turned down. This is nuts and more than hypocritical considering criticism aimed at President Bush for not accepting aid from Cuba after Hurricane Katrina. We are talking about help being offered by our closest allies and nations with vast expertise in deepwater disasters: Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the U.K. (the UN offered help, too). According to Foreign Policy magazine, Belgians say they could clean the mess up in four months or less.

So what gives? The Jones Act, which isn't named after Van Jones but could have been. The Jones Act is in section 27 of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. The act states all goods transported between U.S. ports must carry a U.S. flag, be constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and have a U.S. crew who are permanent residents. The act also says these ships must have union crews. The act has already devastated the U.S. shipbuilding industry, which has been saddled with higher costs and limited opportunities. As a consequence, only 1% of the world's shipbuilding occurs in the United States.

It seems certain President Obama hasn't waived the Act because of his obligations to unions. By the way, President Bush waived the Act after Katrina, and help came in from many nations. As culpable as BP is for this, their partners in crime seem more and more to be the Administration, which appears to take its marching orders, even on environmental disasters, from environmentalists and unions. This is shocking stuff especially as the White House is looking to break more contract law and dictate the actions of an independent business. I don't know if BP is going to fold on the dividend; if there is a hint they couldn't pay for the clean up they should.

diesel96

"Handling the spill" is a gross misrepresentation of what Obama is doing !!

It's not a spill ! It's a LEAK...No strike that...it's a gusher....And ask the family members of those killed on the Oil rig how Obama's handling the Oil diseaster...

Rig families express concerns to Obama

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
The link didn't work, but if the families are voicing their concerns to Obama, that's not results.
What's he doing ??? What's the action .... not the words?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
abc news poll. more americans dissatisfied with the handling of this spill then the handling of katrina

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/M...se-katrina-criminal-charges/story?id=10846473

ABC...one of Obama media lap dogs not giving the Messiah a pass on his piss poor handeling of the oil disaster...Holy Crap!!!:surprise:
Obama-EpicFail.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ya know Im just a truck driver, but I think I would let anyone in who could help, and manage then. I watched a documentary on Discovery last night called disaster in the Gulf. Or something like that and it is eye opening. So many mistakes have been made, and just let every swinging utensil, ship, person in who can help, set up a command post there. The coast guard and the administration dont have a clue what the other is doing. The coast guard says they know it can be waived, but no one has asked for it to be. Browner says no one has asked. Take the gloves off, screw all unions, or get them there. Its totally ridiculous that it has gotten this far, and nothing has been done, except a bunch of in fighting about who is in charge. Hell no one is in charge.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, I wasted 4 mins. of my time....

He discussed rig safety concerns.
He was generous with his time.
He mentioned the "death on the high seas" act.
He's emotionally touched by this.
He mentioned the deep water drilling moratorium.

Where in all that did Obama ever tell what he was doing, if anything to PLUG THE HOLE ???

He is a community organizer and is way over his head and I'm confident he knows it too !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ya know Im just a truck driver, but I think I would let anyone in who could help, and manage then. I watched a documentary on Discovery last night called disaster in the Gulf. Or something like that and it is eye opening. So many mistakes have been made, and just let every swinging utensil, ship, person in who can help, set up a command post there. The coast guard and the administration dont have a clue what the other is doing. The coast guard says they know it can be waived, but no one has asked for it to be. Browner says no one has asked. Take the gloves off, screw all unions, or get them there. Its totally ridiculous that it has gotten this far, and nothing has been done, except a bunch of in fighting about who is in charge. Hell no one is in charge.

Before any of that great stuff can happen, Obama has to lift that Jones Law like Bush did for Katrina.....so everyone can come in & help.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, I wasted 4 mins. of my time....

He discussed rig safety concerns.
He was generous with his time.
He mentioned the "death on the high seas" act.
He's emotionally touched by this.
He mentioned the deep water drilling moratorium.

Where in all that did Obama ever tell what he was doing, if anything to PLUG THE HOLE ???

He is a community organizer and is way over his head and I'm confident he knows it too !!
I like the way you've highlighted the main points, more, great job. Id rep you, but alas, I need to spread the reppage around.:happy2:

tieguy

Banned
It's not a spill ! It's a LEAK...No strike that...it's a gusher....And ask the family members of those killed on the Oil rig how Obama's handling the Oil diseaster...

Rig families express concerns to Obama

I'm reading your post and wondering what the families could possibly say that would stop the oil slicks from hitting our shores.

also wondering why a month later Obama is still trying to figure out who's ass to kick?

Has he met with the CEO of BP yet?

moreluck

golden ticket member
B.O. is scheduled to meet with the CEO of B.P. I just didn't catch the date & time. He's reacting because everybody keeps saying, "Why hasn't he met with B.P. yet?"

Lue C Fur

Evil member
B.O. is scheduled to meet with the CEO of B.P. I just didn't catch the date & time. He's reacting because everybody keeps saying, "Why hasn't he met with B.P. yet?"

Unless it has changed...he is meeting with just the Chairman of the Board of BP and not the CEO and i think its on the 16th of June. My guess is the Obama will ask that they cut the dividend to make it look like they care and also to help make Obama look like he is doing something....which is actually nothing because the Messiah is in way over his head and it shows.

wkmac

some perspective on the oil

posted by lew rockwell on june 11, 2010 09:25 am
writes daniel mahaffey:

just for fun, i looked at how fast the gulf of mexico is filling with oil.
  • the gulf’s volume is approximately 2.5 quadrillion cubic meters, 660 quadrillion gallons (660,000,000,000,000,000 gallons) or 600,000 cubic miles.
  • estimates of the oil released vary from 40 million to 100 million gallons. Let’s use 66 million gallons to make the arithmetic easy.
  • the amount of oil released is 1/10,000,000,000 of the volume of the gulf (one ten billionth).
  • if it has taken 53 days to release 66 million gallons, it will take 530,000,000,000 days to fill the gulf of mexico. That’s 1.45 billion years.
  • if the earth is 4.54 billion years old, it would take 1/3 the life of the earth to fill the gulf.
  • if the universe is 13.75 billion years old, it would take 1/10 the life of the universe to fill the gulf.
stop! This is not possible. Here’s another view:
  • tiber field (on which the platform was drilling) contains 250,000,000 barrels of oil (at 42 gallons per barrel).
  • at 66 million gallons per 53 day period, it would take 8,400 days to drain tiber field (23 years).
  • if emptied, tiber field would cover the 615,000 square miles of the gulf surface with 0.00098 (about 1/1000) inch of oil after 23 years.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Airspace Definition:

Region bounded by:

Latitude: Longitude: FRD:

To: 30º00'00"N 89º00'00"W GPT169024.7

To: 30º00'00"N 87º00'00"W

To: 28º00'00"N 87º00'00"W PFN208149.6

To: 28º00'00"N 90º40'00"W LEV201076.3

To: 29º05'00"N 90º40'00"W LEV258030.1

Altitude: From the surface up to and including 3000 feet AGL Operating Restrictions and Requirements Top
No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).
Pursuant to 14 CFR section 91.137(a)(1) temporary flight restrictions are in effect for deepwater horizon/mississippi canyon (mc252) incident cleanup and reconstitution operations an area bounded by: 290500n/0904000w or the leeville /lev/ vortac 258 degree radial at 30.1 NM to 300000n/0890000w or the gulfport /gpt/ vortac 169 degree radial at 24.7 NM to 300000n/0870000w or the crestview /cew/ vortac 196 degree radial at 52.2 NM to 280000n/0870000w or the panama city /pfn/ vortac 208 degree radial at 149.6 NM to 280000n/0904000w or the leeville /lev/ vortac 201 degree radial at 76.3 NM to the point of beginning at and below 3000 feet AGL excluding the airspace outside of 12 nautical miles from the us coastline. This area is also depicted on U.S. Gulf coast VFR aeronautical chart id helgc as an area bounded from south pelto 2/sp02 then to south pass 6/sp06 then to chandler 39/ch39 then to pensacola 984/pe984 then to desoto canyon 635/dc635 to south timbalair 242/st242 and then back to original point. All aircraft operations are prohibited except those flights authorized by ATC, routine flights supporting offshore oil operations; federal, state, local and military flight operations supporting oil spill recovery and reconstitution efforts; and air medical and law enforcement operations.

FAA has put flight ban on Gulf - only "authorized" aircraft allowed

moreluck

golden ticket member
Day 54 and all I hear from HIM is, "I can't suck it up with a straw." Well buddy, as far as I'm concerned, go do it !!:sick: