Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

I just realized I had screwed up. BUT the premises is the same --EV's are junk when it comes to towing

But Tesla would more than double that, and that means the needs of just about everyone in the half ton market.

Most halftons live their whole lives without doing anything like that test.

If you tow, you dont have a half ton anyway

wilberforce15

If you're pulling a small bass boat to a lake, running a landscaping company, or delivering auto parts and helping people move, the cybertruck is way, way more capable than you will ever need. That's a normal truck life.

rod

Retired 23 years
But Tesla would more than double that, and that means the needs of just about everyone in the half ton market.

Most halftons live their whole lives without doing anything like that test.

If you tow, you dont have a half ton anyway
I towed my 21 foot toyhauler all over the west (lots of mountain roads) with my half ton Silverado. I admit my 3/4 ton does it better but the half ton did it for like 5 years. All over the west and down south and east. Thousands of miles.

wilberforce15

I towed my 21 foot toyhauler all over the west (lots of mountain roads) with my half ton Silverado. I admit my 3/4 ton does it better but the half ton did it for like 5 years. All over the west and down south and east. Thousands of miles.
Congratulations. Do you know what most means?

rod

Retired 23 years
1657937271231.png

The 2028 Tesla truck.

wilberforce15

I bet over 3/4 of the fishing boats and pontoons that come through town (and that is almost bumper to bumper pickups on weekends coming up from Minneapolis and Iowa) are half tons.
And the cybertruck would do that just fine, with little travel time difference.
Go ahead. List the cities. I'll take biased numbers against the cybertruck. And then list the stops. Go ahead.

rod

Retired 23 years
And the cybertruck would do that just fine, with little travel time difference.
Go ahead. List the cities. I'll take biased numbers against the cybertruck. And then list the stops. Go ahead.
We will just have to agree to disagree. on the subject of EV's. I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong. You're young-you will wise up later.

wilberforce15

We will just have to agree to disagree. on the subject of EV's. I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong. You're young-you will wise up later.
It's not a question for debate. I've done long trips in an EV 500-1k miles in a day. Repeatedly. The stops are known. The range hit is known for a given weight of towing. The specs on the vehicles are known.
The cybertruck isn't going to crap out at 85 miles pulling a bass boat.

It's not a ford.

rod

Retired 23 years
It's not a question for debate. I've done long trips in an EV 500-1k miles in a day. Repeatedly. The stops are known. The range hit is known for a given weight of towing. The specs on the vehicles are known.

It's not a ford.
I already admitted I screwed that up. Give it a rest.

wilberforce15

I already admitted I screwed that up. Give it a rest.
I'm not referencing that. I'm saying you misunderstand the vehicle and the charging network. The cybertruck will not give a meaningfully different travel time difference on a trip of any length when pulling a bass boat. It's objectively wrong to say that it will give a meaningfully different travel time over an average day trip.

wilberforce15

An example: Let's take a really long way to pull a bass boat for no reason. 500 miles. Let's also pretend the cybertruck is stupidly hampered by such a light tow and it has to charge twice. Each charge is 30 minutes or so.

So you have 75 minutes of stops on a 500 mile trip. That includes getting of and on the interstate, parking, a little diarrhea, etc.. All the chargers have bathrooms and food. So those are the only stops.

What's your number and time of stops for a 500 mile trip anyway in a gas truck? 10 minutes if you have an iron bladder? Maybe 30 minutes?

Total stop time is 75 minutes with the cybertruck, AT WORST. And this is biased against it. Total stop time in a gas truck is 30 minutes, at best.

So, with all the other advantages (suspension, compressor, ground clearance, horsepower, speed, torque, and payload) you might sacrifice 30-45 minutes extra on a super-long day trip a few times a year?

It's a very silly thing to care about. The numbers don't work as an objection. It's a made-up argument.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.

It's not a ford.
You're completely illogical..