Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

I keep hearing you guys talk about miles a battery lasts, but you are missing the rest of the battery life equation. Calender life and SOC are both critical to battery life, as is stress from fast charging. If you own or want an electric I would read this article.
From 2019.

lol.
Do you have any battery info from 1970? You might as well. The gap is that big.
The battery on a new EV will out last the driver and the driver's kids.

That talks about 1500 cycles. New tech is 15,000 cycles +

wilberforce15

1 million miles isn't even the half-life of new batteries.

Battery replacement isn't a thing. You'll need body-replacement. Put a new car on top of the old battery.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
From 2019.

lol.
Do you have any battery info from 1970? You might as well. The gap is that big.
The battery on a new EV will out last the driver and the driver's kids.

That talks about 1500 cycles. New tech is 15,000 cycles +
It doesn't change the relevance of the other contributing factors you for some reason are choosing to ignore. Teslas owners forum seems to conclude the life cycle of most of their batteries is 8 years, and then they either have to sell or prepare to drop 22k on a new one. You can fan boy all you want, but I guarantee my Truck won't need 22k worth of anything after year 8.

wilberforce15

It doesn't change the relevance of the other contributing factors you for some reason are choosing to ignore. Teslas owners forum seems to conclude the life cycle of most of their batteries is 8 years, and then they either have to sell or prepare to drop 22k on a new one. You can fan boy all you want, but I guarantee my Truck won't need 22k worth of anything after year 8.
Anybody on year 8 is using a battery already older than the old article you posted.

lol.

wilberforce15

You can buy a 2 million mile + battery right now, off the shelf. Forgive me for not caring what the 2019 article says or that a 2014 car needs a new battery.

That's been made irrelevant.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
You can buy a 2 million mile + battery right now, off the shelf. Forgive me for not caring what the 2019 article says or that a 2014 car needs a new battery.

That's been made irrelevant.
Tesla owners forum is showing many stories of 2021 model 3s having to have battery replacements already, and if the new 4680 is so good why does it still carry an 8 year/100k warranty?
You can be a fanboy all you want, the fact is electric still has many problems, and I for one won't risk that kind of a headache on inconsistent tech, and tbh I wouldn't own an electric if the tech was perfect.

I was on the fence for a while, but the memories of me and my dad under the hood of a 65' Fairlane when I was 4 years old, and growing up turning wrenches and building motors reminded me of how much I would miss a gas motor if I changed to electric.
I am a fossil fuel car guy, I taught my son to be a fossil fuel car guy and I will die a fossil fuel car guy. Electric motors and battery packs might be your cup of tea, but they will never elicit the looks and joy that a twin turbo c7 will. Burble, burble pop.

wilberforce15

Tesla owners forum is showing many stories of 2021 model 3s having to have battery replacements already, and if the new 4680 is so good why does it still carry an 8 year/100k warranty?
You can be a fanboy all you want, the fact is electric still has many problems, and I for one won't risk that kind of a headache on inconsistent tech, and tbh I wouldn't own an electric if the tech was perfect.

I was on the fence for a while, but the memories of me and my dad under the hood of a 65' Fairlane when I was 4 years old, and growing up turning wrenches and building motors reminded me of how much I would miss a gas motor if I changed to electric.
I am a fossil fuel car guy, I taught my son to be a fossil fuel car guy and I will die a fossil fuel car guy. Electric motors and battery packs might be your cup of tea, but they will never elicit the looks and joy that a twin turbo c7 will. Burble, burble pop.

As soon as Tesla succeeded at the multi-million-mile battery, they stopped talking about the multi-million-mile battery.

When the next generation is so much better than the previous, revealing that fact can kill current sales. They stopped talking about it as soon as they realized that problem.

They have one moving part. They have basically no scheduled fluid changes. There is no transmission or a dozen other maintenance items common on gas vehicles that the EV doesn't even have. It's inherently superior in power and reliability.

I haven't been to a mechanic in close to 2 years. For any reason.

Tires and wipers. Tires and wipers. Tires and wipers.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

As soon as Tesla succeeded at the multi-million-mile battery, they stopped talking about the multi-million-mile battery.

When the next generation is so much better than the previous, revealing that fact can kill current sales. They stopped talking about it as soon as they realized that problem.

They have one moving part. They have basically no scheduled fluid changes. There is no transmission or a dozen other maintenance items common on gas vehicles that the EV doesn't even have. It's inherently superior in power and reliability.

I haven't been to a mechanic in close to 2 years. For any reason.

Tires and wipers. Tires and wipers. Tires and wipers.
Lots of tire I hear. I am glad you like your minimal service, but for men like me the service is where the fun is at. Metrosexual is a dirty word around here.*
Enjoy your electric, I'm riding my gas to the end.done with this thread.

wilberforce15

Lots of tire I hear. I am glad you like your minimal service, but for men like me the service is where the fun is at. Metrosexual is a dirty word around here.*
Enjoy your electric, I'm riding my gas to the end.done with this thread.
I'm not here to convince you to get an electric. I stop bad information.
Liking the sound, the work with the hands, etc. are all fine reasons. Heavy towing and lots of others things are fine reasons to own combustion.

I'm just stopping misinformation.

People against EV's are a lot like anti-gun nuts. They don't understand the thing they are opposing.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I don't do any highway driving.
My 2002 AWD Highlander Limited gets 16 mpg.
Which is just fine with me.
A 20+ year old car with 175K on it,
If it wasn't for all the rust underneath it , I'd keep it for another 20 years.
So I'll be looking at hybrids to replace it.

wilberforce15

I recall seeing a news story about a company in California that specializes in replacing entire battery packs. They bring the car in, drop the existing battery pack and install a pre-loaded, fully charged battery pack.

NIO uses that model in China. It works really well in places with very high population density, but most of the US doesn't have that. Their battery swaps take 3-4 minutes.

It's a great setup for China, but doesn't work here at scale.

wilberforce15

...not yet....
No, it can't work here at all. Battery swap only works in high population density areas, like with giant high rises in major metros. This was studied endlessly before people even began making EVs seriously. The model does not work with low population density.
That's why one Chinese company is doing it well in China, and nobody else is doing it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, it can't work here at all. Battery swap only works in high population density areas, like with giant high rises in major metros. This was studied endlessly before people even began making EVs seriously. The model does not work with low population density.
That's why one Chinese company is doing it well in China, and nobody else is doing it.