Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

trickpony1

Don't care.

But disposal also isn't going to happen much. Because retired car batteries that have outlasted their car bodies will be used for grid storage. You and your kid will use the car. The grandkids will use the car battery as their house backup power.
Keep drinking the koolaid.

"fantasyland not helping" helping.

newfie

Don't care.

But disposal also isn't going to happen much. Because retired car batteries that have outlasted their car bodies will be used for grid storage. You and your kid will use the car. The grandkids will use the car battery as their house backup power.
thats fine. I'm just saying the EV is a long way from the environmental savior claimed.

newolddude

I think at some point when everyone is able to power off the sun and the cost and waste issues are resolved its a good thing.
but we're a long way from a completely clean ev option.
One of my friends had parents who left him a lot of money. One of the thing he did was put a massive solar rig on his rooftop of his big house. And of course he drives a Tesla. Claims he's close to energy independent at home and for driving.

My guess is that less than 1% of Americans could exist that way.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
One of my friends had parents who left him a lot of money. One of the thing he did was put a massive solar rig on his rooftop of his big house. And of course he drives a Tesla. Claims he's close to energy independent at home and for driving.

My guess is that less than 1% of Americans could exist that way.
Only registered democrats could survive such horror.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Stuff like that happens. I bought a used Ford Explorer as a winter driver/camping/going to bad neighborhoods vehicle for $7500. Had it checked by a trusted mechanic.

Within the first 6 months the transmission crapped out $3300
Timing chain went. $1300
Cat converter thief hit $1300
Water pumps next and it’s not a normal bolt on the front of the motor it’s internal $3500 to repalce

newfie

Stuff like that happens. I bought a used Ford Explorer as a winter driver/camping/going to bad neighborhoods vehicle for $7500. Had it checked by a trusted mechanic.

Within the first 6 months the transmission crapped out $3300
Timing chain went. $1300
Cat converter thief hit $1300
Thats an extreme example with a gas engine and no where close to crapping out 15 k for batteries.

Unless they come up with cheaper options people will send those cars to the junk yard once the batteries need replacing.
If I'm going to spend 15 K on a car I might as well use it as a downpayment on a new car.
If I someday buy electric I will trade it in every 4 years so i dont have to take that hit.

wilberforce15

Water pumps next and it’s not a normal bolt on the front of the motor it’s internal $3500 to repalce

Thats an extreme example with a gas engine and no where close to crapping out 15 k for batteries.

Unless they come up with cheaper options people will send those cars to the junk yard once the batteries need replacing.
If I'm going to spend 15 K on a car I might as well use it as a downpayment on a new car.
If I someday buy electric I will trade it in every 4 years so i dont have to take that hit.
Batteries don't crap out much, unless you were a m*r*n and bought a 2014 Ford EV as in the example.
You can buy an EV right now you can leave in your will.