Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Non liberal

Yes, more reliable.
Reliability means getting from a to b.
By that measure, an EV is just in another league entirely.
It has one moving part and no transmission. It's not close.
Longevity goes along with that. You can guess how long they’ll last all you want, doesn’t make it true. Your data doesn’t exist.

Non liberal

Think about the failing parts that most commonly might cause a breakdown.

Then realize that my car doesn't have those parts.
Blah blah blah, yes I know, it has parts that are ten times more expensive. You don’t get it, I posted the article before from the electrical engineer saying about how expensive and extensive the changeover to all electric was going to be. And the expense that will come with it. Do you think your taxes aren’t going to go up in order to pay for this nonsense when we already have a good enough vehicle to drive? We can’t even handle it now in the summer time and hardly any of the 300 million households in the US are charging a vehicle yet. The whole grid will need to be upgraded, new coal fired power plants, new wiring, and whatever else goes along with that. For nothing. Get ready to open your wallet, that’s all I can say.

vantexan

Most people go the year with only charging at a public station a few times.

You get gas every week.

An EV saves time.
We're talking about spending a leisurely afternoon at the beach, the park, a rest stop, etc on a very hot day with the AC blowing. A Prius in that situation would use less than half a gallon to keep the battery topped off. The Tesla owner would be getting range anxiety. There's more to life than going vroom vroom around the neighborhood.

wilberforce15

Blah blah blah, yes I know, it has parts that are ten times more expensive. You don’t get it, I posted the article before from the electrical engineer saying about how expensive and extensive the changeover to all electric was going to be. And the expense that will come with it. Do you think your taxes aren’t going to go up in order to pay for this nonsense when we already have a good enough vehicle to drive? We can’t even handle it now in the summer time and hardly any of the 300 million households in the US are charging a vehicle yet. The whole grid will need to be upgraded, new coal fired power plants, new wiring, and whatever else goes along with that. For nothing. Get ready to open your wallet, that’s all I can say.
So you just completely changed the subject.

That's cool.
You're wrong on parts, reliability, and recharging, so you change the topic to cost and infrastructure.

Non liberal

So you just completely changed the subject.

That's cool.
You're wrong on parts, reliability, and recharging, so you change the topic to cost and infrastructure.
Well, if you can’t charge it, everything else doesn’t matter. Besides I don’t know how many more times I can tell you my gas vehicle is more reliable. You have no data to back it up, so I’m confused as to how I’m wrong.

wilberforce15

Well, if you can’t charge it, everything else doesn’t matter. Besides I don’t know how many more times I can tell you my gas vehicle is more reliable. You have no data to back it up, so I’m confused as to how I’m wrong.
I just wanted to note the abrupt subject change was primarily caused by being repeatedly wrong on the other stuff.
All of it is solvable, because all of the world's richest people are highly motivated to make it happen, whether any part of it is a good idea or not on a society-wide scale. When a collection of that much money and the brainpower it buys decide to do something, it will be done. Period.

It may be catastrophically bad. I expect it to be tyrannical among other things.

But I make honest assessments. Electric motors are better than gas engines anywhere they can accomplish the task. That used to be narrow. They're getting better, so it's wider.
Everyone has always accepted that electric motors are better if they can be used to do a job. You only use combustion if you have to.

Non liberal

I just wanted to note the abrupt subject change was primarily caused by being repeatedly wrong on the other stuff.
All of it is solvable, because all of the world's richest people are highly motivated to make it happen, whether any part of it is a good idea or not on a society-wide scale. When a collection of that much money and the brainpower it buys decide to do something, it will be done. Period.

It may be catastrophically bad. I expect it to be tyrannical among other things.

But I make honest assessments. Electric motors are better than gas engines anywhere they can accomplish the task. That used to be narrow. They're getting better, so it's wider.
Everyone has always accepted that electric motors are better if they can be used to do a job. You only use combustion if you have to.
I am not arguing for or against electric motors. I am saying the battery packs are not there yet, and unless they come up with a different way to charge them, and untill they can outlast a good combustion vehicle, they are inferior to me.

wilberforce15

I am not arguing for or against electric motors. I am saying the battery packs are not there yet, and unless they come up with a different way to charge them, and untill they can outlast a good combustion vehicle, they are inferior to me.
Multimillion mile batteries are on the road right now, and going into mass production right now. They don't need a new way to charge them, and they already outlast any combustion vehicle you want to choose. And they outlast it without any real maintenance.

vantexan

We're talking about spending a leisurely afternoon at the beach, the park, a rest stop, etc on a very hot day with the AC blowing. A Prius in that situation would use less than half a gallon to keep the battery topped off. The Tesla owner would be getting range anxiety. There's more to life than going vroom vroom around the neighborhood.
@wilberforce15 why are you ignoring this Willllllber?

vantexan

Multimillion mile batteries are on the road right now, and going into mass production right now. They don't need a new way to charge them, and they already outlast any combustion vehicle you want to choose. And they outlast it without any real maintenance.
Then why is Tesla putting lithium iron phosphate batteries in cars now? Why are they contacting customers who are waiting for their order and asking them to consider the new batteries?

wilberforce15

You mean the 16 yr batteries?
The ones that lose 10% of life after 16 years, yes.

That's the industry standard for reporting lifespan on the battery.
The battery works fine for 30, 50, or more years. You just might lose that amount in that given time.
So, if you buy a 400 mile EV, your grandson will inherit a 250 mile EV.

That's because they last forever.
Then when you don't want the car, you strip off the body and turn it into home battery backup power.

Non liberal

OMG! They will dude, once more people start buying them!! We can’t produce and distribute enough electricity to charge everyone’s freaking car! We can’t even let them run an air conditioner at the same time!

wilberforce15

OMG! They will dude, once more people start buying them!! We can’t produce and distribute enough electricity to charge everyone’s freaking car! We can’t even let them run an air conditioner at the same time!
We can. We just choose not to.
When things get hard, different choices will be made. That's how capitalism works. The problem will be solved with a whole lot of money.

Except in CA. They suck at life.

But everywhere else, the grid has plenty of time to expand to accommodate.
I don't think you understand just how slow even the most aggressive EV growth is. It takes a LONG time to cycle through the fleet of american consumer cars. We have a few decades, even on the most 'optimistic' time frame.