Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Non liberal

Only if you're a maroon. The question is about danger in a snowstorm and how long an EV would last. It's a stupid question. It will last for days. That closes the matter.
That maroon then brought up his irrelevant Prius, and I never compared my EV to that.

Because it's irrelevant.
It’s not going to last as long as a battery that is equipped with a 6gallon generator. All depends on temp, wind chill, precipitation. All part of the reason straight evs are stupid.

vantexan

Yes, and it can drive hundreds of miles in whatever cold you want. You'll still get 200 miles in the Arctic.
So, if it has the capacity to propel thousands of pounds down the highway for 200 miles, it has the power to heat a cabin for a few days. Your question is like a toddler demand that I prove that up is up. Or that grass is green.
No, I'm talking about in real world conditions on an Interstate after already driving a couple hundred miles. You're separating the driving from getting stuck. Granted it's highly unlikely that one would encounter such a situation but if you did you'd be happy to have the Prius.

Non liberal

You are so phenomenally ignorant. You can do road trips right now, of whatever length you want, with the total time barely affected by using an EV in most places. Battery swap infrastructure cannot and does not work, and a trillion-dollar company has specifically chosen not to do it. It's utterly unnecessary, and it would hamper development and deployment of EV's.

You'd have to build more batteries than cars, and right now batteries are what limits car production.
Car production would go down if you went this route, and it would be to NO practical advantage.
I've done 1000 miles in a day in an EV, in a trip I'd already done in gas. It made very little difference.
That is absolutely laughable that it wouldn’t make much difference. What are you talking about? At the very minimum it is an hour and a half charging, which is a huge chunk of time when you’re talking about a trip of 5 days and 6 hours of driving a day. It would add another day to your trip! Lol battery swapping already works in China, the company that is doing it is growing at a phenomenal rate. It’s coming to the us, it has to or bye bye ev, it’s that simple.

Non liberal

No, I'm talking about in real world conditions on an Interstate after already driving a couple hundred miles. You're separating the driving from getting stuck. Granted it's highly unlikely that one would encounter such a situation but if you did you'd be happy to have the Prius.
Happens more often then you think. The more fuel the better.

vantexan

Only if you're a maroon. The question is about danger in a snowstorm and how long an EV would last. It's a stupid question. It will last for days. That closes the matter.
That maroon then brought up his irrelevant Prius, and I never compared my EV to that.

Because it's irrelevant.
I brought up the Prius as I have before because I think it's a better solution. It doesn't have the performance your car has, but I'll be dead long before I spend enough on gas to equal the upfront cost of the Tesla. And the Prius is consistently rated as one of the most reliable cars out there from a company famous for reliability. And the Prius is one of the most affordable to own if not the most in spite of being more expensive than the cheapest cars because of the fuel economy and reliability.

oldngray

nowhere special
I brought up the Prius as I have before because I think it's a better solution. It doesn't have the performance your car has, but I'll be dead long before I spend enough on gas to equal the upfront cost of the Tesla. And the Prius is consistently rated as one of the most reliable cars out there from a company famous for reliability. And the Prius is one of the most affordable to own if not the most in spite of being more expensive than the cheapest cars because of the fuel economy and reliability.
Prius is practical and reliable but just not very sexy

vantexan

Prius is practical and reliable but just not very sexy
I have another reason to want one. After my dad passes I'll use my inheritance to buy a new Prius outright. Going to head out to New Mexico. $225 a year camping pass if you aren't a state resident allows you to camp for free all year in their state parks. Or $4 a night if you want electricity. You have to move every 14 days to another park but they have 35 around the state that allow camping. Can be at cooler high elevation in the summer, warmer low elevation in the winter. The Prius will be my living room with satellite radio and Verizon for internet. Gas and insurance will be my rent. Clean bathrooms with showers, trash disposal. At 67 my income will be less than $20k a year. Haven't found a better solution other than living overseas. That has its own issues. And they don't have green chile!

oldngray

nowhere special
I have another reason to want one. After my dad passes I'll use my inheritance to buy a new Prius outright. Going to head out to New Mexico. $225 a year camping pass if you aren't a state resident allows you to camp for free all year in their state parks. Or $4 a night if you want electricity. You have to move every 14 days to another park but they have 35 around the state that allow camping. Can be at cooler high elevation in the summer, warmer low elevation in the winter. The Prius will be my living room with satellite radio and Verizon for internet. Gas and insurance will be my rent. Clean bathrooms with showers, trash disposal. At 67 my income will be less than $20k a year. Haven't found a better solution other than living overseas. That has its own issues. And they don't have green chile!
I car camped a lot when I was younger. A very cheap way to see the country. A tent, a little stove, and a cooler and you can do it for a long time. Especially if you stay mostly at campgrounds with showers. Doing it as a lifestyle choice is a different story and not for me.

vantexan

I car camped a lot when I was younger. A very cheap way to see the country. A tent, a little stove, and a cooler and you can do it for a long time. Especially if you stay mostly at campgrounds with showers. Doing it as a lifestyle choice is a different story and not for me.
I'm never going to be one of those guys who sets up a tent on a sidewalk in L.A. Having done the RV thing for 12 years I'm not going to do that again. Too expensive. My wife just bought a house in Alton, Illinois. It has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I have no desire to live there and she doesn't want to live overseas. I'm really running out of options. Thank God for the Prius. Can sit in air conditioned comfort and be independent.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm never going to be one of those guys who sets up a tent on a sidewalk in L.A. Having done the RV thing for 12 years I'm not going to do that again. Too expensive. My wife just bought a house in Alton, Illinois. It has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I have no desire to live there and she doesn't want to live overseas. I'm really running out of options. Thank God for the Prius. Can sit in air conditioned comfort and be independent.
picdump_4130_34.jpg

wilberforce15

There are lots of cars of all kinds that are much cheaper than Teslas and get the job done. Everyone on all sides knows that. It's completely useless information.

wilberforce15

It’s not going to last as long as a battery that is equipped with a 6gallon generator. All depends on temp, wind chill, precipitation. All part of the reason straight evs are stupid.
If the EV is stupid for this reason, are you not saying that the gas engines that don't heat the cabin as long are even more stupid? You're being super tarded. Nobody cares if you can heat your cabin for 2 days or 3 days. It is an irrelevant piece of information. The only thing you need is to get through the snow storm. All EVS can do that. Therefore you just need to find another topic. Because you're not making a point.

Hybrids are the worst of both worlds. They're garbage at being gas vehicles. And they're garbage at being electric vehicles.

vantexan

Yes and the average EV driver has more fuel in his tank than the average gas driver. They fill up every day at home.
Again, driving some distance, hundreds of miles, in very cold weather when there's a massive pileup ahead and no way to get off. Roads are so bad it takes at least two days to get through. I'll take my chances with a Prius.

vantexan

If the EV is stupid for this reason, are you not saying that the gas engines that don't heat the cabin as long are even more stupid? You're being super tarded. Nobody cares if you can heat your cabin for 2 days or 3 days. It is an irrelevant piece of information. The only thing you need is to get through the snow storm. All EVS can do that. Therefore you just need to find another topic. Because you're not making a point.

Hybrids are the worst of both worlds. They're garbage at being gas vehicles. And they're garbage at being electric vehicles.
Some hybrids yes. Not the Prius. Not the Toyota RAV4. Not the Toyota Sienna.

wilberforce15

Again, driving some distance, hundreds of miles, in very cold weather when there's a massive pileup ahead and no way to get off. Roads are so bad it takes at least two days to get through. I'll take my chances with a Prius.
And again, maroon you are making up a situation in which no person even a maroon like yourself could find themselves. The gas car will be just as low in your crazy artificial situation that makes you finally feel better about your dumb prius. You cannot possibly be silly enough to believe that you are making a point.