Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I'm thinking, outside of the much respected toe to toe sparing, that there is not enough data available to claim EV's are goodder/betterer/worstererer than the petroleum based vehicle.
It seems that all the data, so far, is emotion based cherry picking?

wilberforce15

That's what you say but do you have proof? Already known that severe cold greatly reduces range.
Holy cow. Severe cold reduces range by a lot, yes.
You want proof that heating a car takes less energy than going down the highway for hundreds of miles, which it can do in the extreme cold?
This is so easy it's embarrassing.

You're asking me whether a million is greater than 2+2.
It can drive a car for hundreds of miles in the extreme cold. It can keep a cabin warm for days. This is how energy works.

vantexan

Nothing has to perform as well as the expensive one.
All EV's will keep you alive as long or longer than the gas cars. Heat pumps just add efficiency to an already good system.
For a while, no EV's had them at all. It's a simple matter of measuring energy. This is trivial and silly.
If I have 6 gallons of gas in a Prius that'll run the climate control, lights, radio for 2 days easily. And I don't have to worry about a dead battery. Can always walk somewhere to get more gas.

vantexan

Holy cow. Severe cold reduces range by a lot, yes.
You want proof that heating a car takes less energy than going down the highway for hundreds of miles, which it can do in the extreme cold?
This is so easy it's embarrassing.

You're asking me whether a million is greater than 2+2.
It can drive a car for hundreds of miles in the extreme cold. It can keep a cabin warm for days. This is how energy works.
If it's range is 400 miles and severe cold greatly reduces range then how can it run hundreds of miles in severe cold? And not talking about the best performing Tesla. Talking about the most affordable one. Model S that doesn't have a heat pump.

wilberforce15

If it's range is 400 miles and severe cold greatly reduces range then how can it run hundreds of miles in severe cold? And not talking about the best performing Tesla. Talking about the most affordable one. Model S that doesn't have a heat pump.
All EV's can keep the cabin warm at 2-3% battery consumption per hour in the most extreme cold. This is not hard. It's math. it's not even close. You are embarrassing yourself. However affordable you want.
Good grief.

wilberforce15

You haven't read anything. You know nothing of range, capacity, or conditions, or the technology that makes the heat or anything else. Why do I have the burden of educating you?

I'm stopping.

vantexan

All EV's can keep the cabin warm at 2-3% battery consumption per hour in the most extreme cold. This is not hard. It's math. it's not even close. You are embarrassing yourself. However affordable you want.
Good grief.
Yah, the car was driven 250 miles in severe cold when a pileup on the interstate stranded thousands of cars in -10° for days. I like my chances better in the Prius that started the trip with a full tank and is getting 50+ mpg on the highway.

Non liberal

That will never be possible here, because the distances are too great. The economics from the manufacturerer's standpoint only work with high volume, regular swaps from customers. That battery swapping station has to keep an absurd number of batteries on hand. It's a total waste when production is battery-constrained (meaning the number of EV's produced is limited by the number of batteries we can produce).

On a cross-country trip, that's the only time it could ever make sense for me, and it would save an insignificant amount of time. Meanwhile, nobody is going to build that infrastructure here because it doesn't stand a chance of making money. It isn't going to exist.
And I've done long trips in EV's (500-1000 mi/day as a solo driver), and the time refueling is just not a big issue.
It is a huge issue, and will keep you from doing long trips at all when more people get evs. If you want to keep the status quo as far as total ownership and not grow the ev industry, then the way it is now is fine. Battery swapping can be done, you just need big enough infrastructure. They recharge the dead batteries that come in. It’s doable, and very lucrative if it catches on. It actually needs to catch on if anyone wants the ev industry to grow. They would need to get charging down to under 10minutes at least, and not harm the battery in the process, which is pretty much impossible. Battery swapping is the future, or the ev industry has no future.

Non liberal

If I have 6 gallons of gas in a Prius that'll run the climate control, lights, radio for 2 days easily. And I don't have to worry about a dead battery. Can always walk somewhere to get more gas.
Is he actually arguing his battery is going to run a heater longer then your battery that has a generator? Lol.

wilberforce15

I just read that the Model S has a range of 405 miles.
Yes, and it can drive hundreds of miles in whatever cold you want. You'll still get 200 miles in the Arctic.
So, if it has the capacity to propel thousands of pounds down the highway for 200 miles, it has the power to heat a cabin for a few days. Your question is like a toddler demand that I prove that up is up. Or that grass is green.

wilberforce15

It is a huge issue, and will keep you from doing long trips at all when more people get evs. If you want to keep the status quo as far as total ownership and not grow the ev industry, then the way it is now is fine. Battery swapping can be done, you just need big enough infrastructure. They recharge the dead batteries that come in. It’s doable, and very lucrative if it catches on. It actually needs to catch on if anyone wants the ev industry to grow. They would need to get charging down to under 10minutes at least, and not harm the battery in the process, which is pretty much impossible. Battery swapping is the future, or the ev industry has no future.
You are so phenomenally ignorant. You can do road trips right now, of whatever length you want, with the total time barely affected by using an EV in most places. Battery swap infrastructure cannot and does not work, and a trillion-dollar company has specifically chosen not to do it. It's utterly unnecessary, and it would hamper development and deployment of EV's.

You'd have to build more batteries than cars, and right now batteries are what limits car production.
Car production would go down if you went this route, and it would be to NO practical advantage.
I've done 1000 miles in a day in an EV, in a trip I'd already done in gas. It made very little difference.

wilberforce15

Is he actually arguing his battery is going to run a heater longer then your battery that has a generator? Lol.
Only if you're a maroon. The question is about danger in a snowstorm and how long an EV would last. It's a stupid question. It will last for days. That closes the matter.
That maroon then brought up his irrelevant Prius, and I never compared my EV to that.

Because it's irrelevant.

BlackFriday

better at what?
I've been lurking in this thread for a while now because I know I have a lot to learn before I can lean one way or another regarding EV/fossil fuel.
After reading 95%+ of the replies I have to say I'm calling Wilbur out as a fake.
Thank you very much.

wilberforce15

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now because I know I have a lot to learn before I can lean one way or another regarding EV/fossil fuel.
After reading 95%+ of the replies I have to say I'm calling Wilbur out as a fake.
Thank you very much.
You can call whatever you want, but you haven't been reading. I'm the only one who has provided evidence, typically in overwhelming and condescending fashion, to people who think their Boomer ignorance about EV's from ten years ago make a point.

They're all so dumb they have no idea why Tesla sold 100k, then 200k, then 400k, then a million, and this year 2 million.
And they'll sell 4 million the year after that. It's because all these problems they're pointing out are complete nonsense based on fake info. In 6-8 years, tesla will be the largest car manufacturer on the planet.

wilberforce15

"Your heavy vehicle will sink in a flood"

*posts video of Tesla covered to the roof and still driving, because weight is an advantage.

"You'll run out of heat in a snow storm"

*Posts documentation of battery lasting for days heating a cabin.

"They all catch on fire!"

*Posts primary studies showing a lower fire rate in EV's compared to gas.

"Road trips suck in them! You need to swap a battery!"

* Details trips repeatedly showing a minimal total travel time difference, including having done it myself.

And on and on and on and on.

A dozen pieces of ignorant fake news myths. You all should be thankful that I've been so patient as to condescend and teach you.

BlackFriday

You are so phenomenally ignorant. You can do road trips right now, of whatever length you want, with the total time barely affected by using an EV in most places. Battery swap infrastructure cannot and does not work, and a trillion-dollar company has specifically chosen not to do it. It's utterly unnecessary, and it would hamper development and deployment of EV's.

You'd have to build more batteries than cars, and right now batteries are what limits car production.
Car production would go down if you went this route, and it would be to NO practical advantage.
I've done 1000 miles in a day in an EV, in a trip I'd already done in gas. It made very little difference.
Please re-read and explain this reply.
Thank you and Baby Jesus that this happens.