Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Non liberal

They can create and enforce a gas ration or a gas prohibition on anyone they like at any time if they can get away with it politically. It is not difficult and having a gas car does not protect you from that capriciousness.
Yes, but that is harder to justify because we’re not all using the same energy source to power all of our homes and cars, which in turn ruffles a few more feathers.

wilberforce15

Yes, but that is harder to justify because we’re not all using the same energy source to power all of our homes and cars, which in turn ruffles a few more feathers.
In the short and medium term, I can grant that. But if California does such a thing, at least we know no innocents will be harmed. Anybody with a half lick of sense already left.

Non liberal

In the short and medium term, I can grant that. But if California does such a thing, at least we know no innocents will be harmed. Anybody with a half lick of sense already left.
Oh I fully believe that, it’s the only reason I can see as to why we would be lied to like we are and manipulated. Literally turning events into things they were not. They are literally rewriting recent history as we speak. Imagine what else in our history wasn’t true. That’s why, even if I can’t explain that I don’t trust them when they say this is what we need to do.

wilberforce15

Oh I fully believe that, it’s the only reason I can see as to why we would be lied to like we are and manipulated. Literally turning events into things they were not. They are literally rewriting recent history as we speak. Imagine what else in our history wasn’t true. That’s why, even if I can’t explain that I don’t trust them when they say this is what we need to do.
And yet, the core of the disputes here are whether the machine is actually better when propelled by a batter and electric motor.
A general engineering principle is that one always uses a battery and electric motor when it can accomplish the task. Combustion only exists for when that is inadequate.

And for the vast majority of consumers, and the vast majority of their circumstances, we are already past the point where EVs are superior. They just cost more. That changes over time. This is inevitable.

The other point of contention is that Tesla is better at making them than anyone, and always will be. That is self-evident and any dispute comes from ignorance about just how much Tesla has taken the mantle of what Toyota accomplished in previous decades. Absolutely nobody can make things as quickly and cheaply as Tesla can. And they won't in the foreseeable future. They are all hopelessly behind. They can only sell at Tesla's price and specs if they do so at a loss. Toyota is in the worst shape of all when it comes to EVs.

Non liberal

And yet, the core of the disputes here are whether the machine is actually better when propelled by a batter and electric motor.
A general engineering principle is that one always uses a battery and electric motor when it can accomplish the task. Combustion only exists for when that is inadequate.

And for the vast majority of consumers, and the vast majority of their circumstances, we are already past the point where EVs are superior. They just cost more. That changes over time. This is inevitable.

The other point of contention is that Tesla is better at making them than anyone, and always will be. That is self-evident and any dispute comes from ignorance about just how much Tesla has taken the mantle of what Toyota accomplished in previous decades. Absolutely nobody can make things as quickly and cheaply as Tesla can. And they won't in the foreseeable future. They are all hopelessly behind. They can only sell at Tesla's price and specs if they do so at a loss. Toyota is in the worst shape of all when it comes to EVs.
Well no, as far as evs go actually byd has now surpassed Tesla as the largest ev maker, so one could argue that they do it better, and cheaper then anyone else in the world. Especially since their base model starts at 28k. Evs will never be superior until they can travel 600 miles on a charge, 400 when in tow, and take less then 10minutes to fully charge, period. Until they can do that they are not superior and will not win over the majority of the people unless they are the only option to choose from. And the problem you seem to have you fail to realize that most people don’t really want to find out if a battery is sufficient or not because they don’t want to be without something when they need it.

wilberforce15

Well no, as far as evs go actually byd has now surpassed Tesla as the largest ev maker, so one could argue that they do it better, and cheaper then anyone else in the world. Especially since their base model starts at 28k. Evs will never be superior until they can travel 600 miles on a charge, 400 when in tow, and take less then 10minutes to fully charge, period. Until they can do that they are not superior and will not win over the majority of the people unless they are the only option to choose from. And the problem you seem to have you fail to realize that most people don’t really want to find out if a battery is sufficient or not because they don’t want to be without something when they need it.
They can win over the majority of people because what you are describing is done by a vanishingly small percentage of the population. I'm not sure what world you live in, but that's not the real one.

Almost no cars get 600 miles per fillup. Almost nobody drives more than 600 miles in a day more than once per year. And almost nobody tows anything meaningful for that distance. I'm afraid you simply don't understand what country you live in.
I've given you the data on this. The facts don't care about your feelings or your friend circle.

Most people have power at home. Most people go decades without traveling 600 miles in a day. Most people never tow heavy for a single day in their lives for hundreds of miles.

Your standards are utterly irrelevant to achieving market domination.

wilberforce15

And, even for most people who go long distances or haul that distance, an EV would STILL save net time over the course of the year, because the ability to have a gas station anywhere there is a plug is just amazingly convenient.

I spend less time at a fuel station than you do, and I drive 30k miles a year in an EV.

Non liberal

They can win over the majority of people because what you are describing is done by a vanishingly small percentage of the population. I'm not sure what world you live in, but that's not the real one.

Almost no cars get 600 miles per fillup. Almost nobody drives more than 600 miles in a day more than once per year. And almost nobody tows anything meaningful for that distance. I'm afraid you simply don't understand what country you live in.
I've given you the data on this. The facts don't care about your feelings or your friend circle.

Most people have power at home. Most people go decades without traveling 600 miles in a day. Most people never tow heavy for a single day in their lives for hundreds of miles.

Your standards are utterly irrelevant to achieving market domination.
It may be done by a small amount and friend people, but people like to have the choice if they want to. It’s only like 38 percent of the people who say they would buy an electric car, and charging time And range anxiety are the biggest reasons for not buying one.

Non liberal

And, even for most people who go long distances or haul that distance, an EV would STILL save net time over the course of the year, because the ability to have a gas station anywhere there is a plug is just amazingly convenient.

I spend less time at a fuel station than you do, and I drive 30k miles a year in an EV.
2/3 of America don’t want them.

wilberforce15

2/3 of America don’t want them.
Umm, no, it works for 95% of Americans on a functional basis, and the only thing that remains is cost. Tesla is solving that. They don't want them because they are largely for sale over 30k.

The best new tech always goes to rich people. That's how capitalism works.

Then that funding makes it mass-market over time.

wilberforce15

It may be done by a small amount and friend people, but people like to have the choice if they want to. It’s only like 38 percent of the people who say they would buy an electric car, and charging time And range anxiety are the biggest reasons for not buying one.
Charging time and range anxiety only exist among the ignorant, including you.

Over time, information makes a dent in people's heads, and they realize their worries were stupid.

Non liberal

Umm, no, it works for 95% of Americans on a functional basis, and the only thing that remains is cost. Tesla is solving that. They don't want them because they are largely for sale over 30k.

Price and charging time and range anxiety is what the surveys reveal.

Non liberal

And yes, sorry. It really is 2/3 that don’t want them.

wilberforce15

And yes, sorry. It really is 2/3 that don’t want them.
Yes, and a few years about it was 9/10 that didn't want them.
Before that, it was 99/100 that didn't want them.

You are documenting progress.

2/3 not wanting them is almost total victory. Snowballs only gain speed as they are going down hill.

vantexan

Can't make it mass market over time if you don't have the metals to do it.