Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

Feel free to short Tesla.
It's quite easy to bet on its demise.

But just know that lots of very smart people have already been bankrupted by betting against Tesla.

Non liberal

No, it will take at least 5 years to design and build the new factory and the new models.

It doesn't matter what they know how to do. That's how long it takes to design and construct the building and lay equipment and staffing down.
And by the time Toyota gets its first purpose-built factory constructed, Tesla will have the capacity to make 10M vehicles (about 5 years from now) which will put them at production parity, but with only one of them knowing how to make an EV.
They all know how to make them already. So that would put them tied at best for Tesla. However given the expertise the big 3 have on building cars, even when they are tied at capacity the big 3 quality will be light years ahead. Toyota is already building a $2.5 billion battery factory in the us as we speak. They are ready.

Non liberal

Feel free to short Tesla.
It's quite easy to bet on its demise.

But just know that lots of very smart people have already been bankrupted by betting against Tesla.
I’m not saying they won’t be around. They’re just not going to outsell the big 3 once they get going. I could see them selling a luxury brand car if they can get their quality control whipped into shape, simply because they have brand recognition in that market already.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No, it will take at least 5 years to design and build the new factory and the new models.

It doesn't matter what they know how to do. That's how long it takes to design and construct the building and lay equipment and staffing down.
And by the time Toyota gets its first purpose-built factory constructed, Tesla will have the capacity to make 10M vehicles (about 5 years from now) which will put them at production parity, but with only one of them knowing how to make an EV.
But what if I don't like the models Tesla is selling and/or they don't fit my needs ?
Or the color I want isn't available ?
Tesla may have the capability but people are still going only buy things that they can connect with.
{ This in'ts the days of Henry Ford- only one color available- black }

wilberforce15

They all know how to make them already. So that would put them tied at best for Tesla. However given the expertise the big 3 have on building cars, even when they are tied at capacity the big 3 quality will be light years ahead. Toyota is already building a $2.5 billion battery factory in the us as we speak. They are ready.
The Big Three do not have any expertise on building electric vehicles. Their battery production is pathetic. And they are the ones that need to learn how to do this.

None of them can do it for a profit. That means they suck at doing it.

wilberforce15

But what if I don't like the models Tesla is selling and/or they don't fit my needs ?
Or the color I want isn't available ?
Tesla may have the capability but people are still going only buy things that they can connect with.
{ This in'ts the days of Henry Ford- only one color available- black }
That's great. Go ahead and buy whatever you want. Every EV Ford sells makes them poorer

wilberforce15

I'm still failing to understand how you guys don't get this. They need purpose built facilities to produce these things efficiently. They don't have those facilities. They must build those facilities. They will be selling every EV at a loss until they build them. That's many years away.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1662032021288.png

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I'm afraid you don't understand the mandates are about new sales.
If new sales are all EVs even in 2035 (which probably isn't going to happen) then you would still have plenty of gas cars rocking and rolling until 2060 and beyond.

And even in 2035, if it were all the new sales, it still wouldn't be the majority on the road.
Yepp, definitely noone using these super charges.. now they are waiting in line to use the superchargers. Pathetic is the word that comes to mind..

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/x2vb3k