Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
The article stated that after 40,000 miles the Tesla's battery pack had lost 8% of its capacity. So what if it had 200,000 miles on it? Obviously with capacity degradation it's not going to go as long. And the gas car they used is nowhere near as efficient as a Prius. I seem to recall you saying the Tesla would last a lot longer than a gas car too.
It lasts longer only in his fevered dreams.

wilberforce15

The article stated that after 40,000 miles the Tesla's battery pack had lost 8% of its capacity. So what if it had 200,000 miles on it? Obviously with capacity degradation it's not going to go as long. And the gas car they used is nowhere near as efficient as a Prius. I seem to recall you saying the Tesla would last a lot longer than a gas car too.
It would've lost 15-20% of its capacity, because that's an old battery (new ones are better).
So, thank you for admitting the entire point and now I have to deliver the bad news:
The 200k battery might only keep you perpetually warm for 30-36 hours in a white out!

The horrors!

vantexan

It would've lost 15-20% of its capacity, because that's an old battery (new ones are better).
So, thank you for admitting the entire point and now I have to deliver the bad news:
The 200k battery might only keep you perpetually warm for 30-36 hours in a white out!

The horrors!
You're the one who put up a 2019 as an example, which isn't particularly old. If it had already lost 8% capacity then you're saying 5 times as far would only lose 15-20% capacity? "Might" is definitely the operative word here.

wilberforce15

You're the one who put up a 2019 as an example, which isn't particularly old. If it had already lost 8% capacity then you're saying 5 times as far would only lose 15-20% capacity? "Might" is definitely the operative word here.
It is old, because the tech changes that fast. 2019 is ancient history.

And that's why I laugh so hard at you guys, because your understanding of battery tech is a decade old, which is why you are basically telling me about how moving picture shows will never be able to have synchronized sound effects without a live piano player. That's how ancient you are. It's fun to mock.

I'm sorry that you don't know how exponential curves work.

Multi-million mile battery cars that can be inherited by great-grandchildren are already rolling off production lines as we type, with less than 10% degradation over a few generations. That exists right now. Forgive me for laughing. But you are funny.

wilberforce15

And yes, for me to say a 2019 Tesla would have 80% life left after 200k miles is extremely unfriendly to Tesla, and I'm taking among the worst possible case. They're all better than that.
But I'm throwing so many bones to you guys, it's ridiculous.

Abuse an old, bad, Tesla and you still get cozy warm in a whiteout for 1.5 days.

It's getting very hard to rank the objections by level of stupidity. You are all competing with one another.

vantexan

It is old, because the tech changes that fast. 2019 is ancient history.

And that's why I laugh so hard at you guys, because your understanding of battery tech is a decade old, which is why you are basically telling me about how moving picture shows will never be able to have synchronized sound effects without a live piano player. That's how ancient you are. It's fun to mock.

I'm sorry that you don't know how exponential curves work.

Multi-million mile battery cars that can be inherited by great-grandchildren are already rolling off production lines as we type, with less than 10% degradation over a few generations. That exists right now. Forgive me for laughing. But you are funny.
You make those claims all the time. Do you have proof that the newer ones last that long? Has Tesla actually put cars on the road with multi million mile batteries? And will Tesla bodies hold up for millions of miles?

wilberforce15

You make those claims all the time. Do you have proof that the newer ones last that long? Has Tesla actually put cars on the road with multi million mile batteries? And will Tesla bodies hold up for millions of miles?
The batteries will outlast the bodies, which is what I've said this whole time. That's why they'll be removed eventually after a life of service and used for grid storage. It's a long-term reuse plan.

Yes, cars with multi-million mile batteries are on the road right now. The 4680-cell is ramping production now, and is already in select models on the road.

It deteriorates about 10% for a million miles of cycles.

vantexan

The batteries will outlast the bodies, which is what I've said this whole time. That's why they'll be removed eventually after a life of service and used for grid storage. It's a long-term reuse plan.

Yes, cars with multi-million mile batteries are on the road right now. The 4680-cell is ramping production now, and is already in select models on the road.

It deteriorates about 10% for a million miles of cycles.
A quick Google check says 300,000-500,000 miles or 1500 cycles. The 4680's advantage is it's quicker charging.

wilberforce15

A quick Google check says 300,000-500,000 miles or 1500 cycles. The 4680's advantage is it's quicker charging.
Yes, you are living on a quick Google search, and that's the problem. You don't even know how to do that correctly.
Due to the Osborne effect, Tesla quickly downplayed the capability of the battery. If people knew how much better the next generation was, they wouldn't buy the current generation.

Companies have gone broke in the past by having the next generation too much better than the previous one. So, the million mile+ claims are done by independent researchers all done when the battery came out.

After that, it was downplayed. Welcome to business.

wilberforce15

2025 Browncafe:
Fake Texan says, "Hey Wilmaforce, just because you have that video fo the million mile tesla with 90% battery life left doesn't mean you're right!"

Kidding. I'll be retired by then.

vantexan

Yes, you are living on a quick Google search, and that's the problem. You don't even know how to do that correctly.
Due to the Osborne effect, Tesla quickly downplayed the capability of the battery. If people knew how much better the next generation was, they wouldn't buy the current generation.

Companies have gone broke in the past by having the next generation too much better than the previous one. So, the million mile+ claims are done by independent researchers all done when the battery came out.

After that, it was downplayed. Welcome to business.
Yeah, yeah, yeah but you have insider information about what's really.going on. Uh-huh. If there's one thing I'm adept at it's Google searches. Plenty of recent articles talking about million mile+ batteries in labs and questioning whether Tesla will ever bring a million mile battery to market. If Tesla is saying 300,000-500,000 miles then I'm certainly not going to take your word they're really good for over a million. If independent researchers were proving the latest batteries have that kind of longevity then the word would be out and Tesla, as you said, couldn't sell the current generation. 300,000+ is plenty long enough. One just has to decide if the overall package is worth the price. And they may very well do a million miles someday. And there may be a few approaching that many miles now. But overall you're exaggerating because you're a fanboy. Fanboy.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
It doesnt, and I never said it did.
Because the average gas car doesn't have 38 gallons of gas. How dishonest are you?

The average full-tank EV will heat the cabin just as long as the average full-tank gas car.
That's all that was said, and it is thoroughly proven.

And then you bring in 38 gallons of gas out of freakin' nowhere, because you're dishonest or dumb.
The average ev isn't fully charged. bad argument by the way.