Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

And not feasible because there isn't enough of the minerals/metals needed to produce all those millions of electric vehicles. And it might cost 10 cents a mile for the ride but there's no way the companies investing in these very expensive vehicles are only going to charge 10 cents a mile. They have to recoup their costs and make a tidy profit. In the end you'll have the wealthy with their own EV's and the rest of us crowded onto electric buses or riding electric bikes or taking electric taxis if they can afford it. A mix of options at best. You aren't making allowances with your plan for rush hour when a large amount of people are going to/from work and dropping off/picking up kids from school. If you're going to have a fleet big enough to handle that then you might as well have individual ownership. Not certain at all.
You don't understand how good these things are, and will be.
These vehicles will last millions of miles with minimal maintenance. Tires and wipers, and rinse and repeat for millions of miles.

They will absolutely be cheaper to use as a taxi than to own yourself. Makers will make massive profits at a dime a mile.

The fleet will easily be big enough to accommodate any of those needs, because the number of cars on the road won't change. I literally mean some companies will redirect their entire production and not sell any cars to individuals at all. Imagine the entire productive capacity of Toyota, and no individual sales. 100% going to taxis.

If many cars only work a few hours a day because that's where demand is centered, it matters none at all. They'll put them on the road. It costs so little that they still make more.
Take the current number of taxis. We are talking about 5,000x more taxis than that. And all that can be built in a few years with redirected production.

You better hope your silly minerals thesis holds water. Because this is going to happen.

Thebrownblob

No, it's degradation of society and death to America. I think I've been clear that it's very bad.

But it's inevitable.
It’s a planed implosion of society. Even the term build back better infers that you have to tear something down, and then create a new way of life. One that benefits only the few of course.

vantexan

You don't understand how good these things are, and will be.
These vehicles will last millions of miles with minimal maintenance. Tires and wipers, and rinse and repeat for millions of miles.

They will absolutely be cheaper to use as a taxi than to own yourself. Makers will make massive profits at a dime a mile.

The fleet will easily be big enough to accommodate any of those needs, because the number of cars on the road won't change. I literally mean some companies will redirect their entire production and not sell any cars to individuals at all. Imagine the entire productive capacity of Toyota, and no individual sales. 100% going to taxis.

If many cars only work a few hours a day because that's where demand is centered, it matters none at all. They'll put them on the road. It costs so little that they still make more.
Take the current number of taxis. We are talking about 5,000x more taxis than that. And all that can be built in a few years with redirected production.

You better hope your silly minerals thesis holds water. Because this is going to happen.
I'm not coming up with a silly thesis because I don't want this to happen. I'm looking at the reality which you seem in denial about. And please explain how a company makes big profits at 10 cents a mile? If a vehicle covers 10 miles an hour that's a dollar an hour, 24 dollars a day. How long to recoup an investment and make any profit? Will the vehicle still be operable by then? Please don't tell me these vehicles will last forever with no issues. And you still have to have enough minerals/metals to build them all. Did you watch the video I posted?

Thebrownblob

I'm not coming up with a silly thesis because I don't want this to happen. I'm looking at the reality which you seem in denial about. And please explain how a company makes big profits at 10 cents a mile? If a vehicle covers 10 miles an hour that's a dollar an hour, 24 dollars a day. How long to recoup an investment and make any profit? Will the vehicle still be operable by then? Please don't tell me these vehicles will last forever with no issues. And you still have to have enough minerals/metals to build them all. Did you watch the video I posted?
E.S.G. gets rid of the idea that companies care about only profitability or customer service, their customer is the government. Comply or be out of business.

wilberforce15

They basically will last forever with no issues.

These robotaxis will be run from the econoboxes that are next in Tesla's plan. Production price will be 20-25k. All investment will be recouped in 1-3 years on each car, and the car can run forever. Recoup the cost in 5 years if you want. make it 10 cents. It doesn't matter. You're not following that any and all versions of the math make it profitable. It's that much better.

They wouldn't sell any to people, because each car is worth six figures in income over the life of the car.

And if they charge 20 cents or 30 cents a mile, nothing changes. It's still cheaper than your gas car, and it will still win by just as much.

wilberforce15

Your only hope is us running out of resources to do it.

I tend to bet on things that have trillions of dollars and all the world's governments betting on them. It will happen.

vantexan

Your only hope is us running out of resources to do it.

I tend to bet on things that have trillions of dollars and all the world's governments betting on them. It will happen.
And why characterize it as hope? It's reality. Not to mention for most car owners their car is an expression of their personality. The world you describe is people acting like mindless drones who just want a ride somewhere.

Thebrownblob

And why characterize it as hope? It's reality. Not to mention for most car owners their car is an expression of their personality. The world you describe is people acting like mindless drones who just want a ride somewhere.
Most young people don’t want to drive anymore. You were thinking like a guy who is our age that thinking fading away. I don’t think it’s good but that’s what’s happening..

vantexan

lol.

Is this even a serious question?
It certainly is. You think governments are going to throw trillions at this? How? No more pressing needs? They still use human powered rickshaws in India but you think they're going to have expensive electric cars running around everywhere.

wilberforce15

Yes, most people are just mindless drones who want a ride somewhere. Especially if that ride involves video games and beds and no steering wheels at all, with the same commute time and convenience as owning.

Secondly, human drivers kill 30-40,000 people per year. It is very easy to simply say that they aren't allowed to buy or drive new cars any more as a public safety measure. Robotaxis are safer than any human could ever hope to be. It would be the end of large scale road deaths, effectively.
Then, costs can be manipulated to create incentives. This isn't hard. They will make it all happen.

wilberforce15

It certainly is. You think governments are going to throw trillions at this? How? No more pressing needs? They still use human powered rickshaws in India but you think they're going to have expensive electric cars running around everywhere.
I'm not talking about India. Poor people get nice things last. That's why they don't have EVs for poor people now.

It starts with rich people and rich countries.

Trillions is the size of the market opportunity, not for government printers. And they don't mind firing those up, anyway.

And no, these morons don't think they have higher priorities. Using autonomous electric vehicles is an article of faith to save the planet. Nothing ranks higher.

Thebrownblob

I'm not talking about India. Poor people get nice things last. That's why they don't have EVs for poor people now.

It starts with rich people and rich countries.

Trillions is the size of the market opportunity, not for government printers. And they don't mind firing those up, anyway.

And no, these morons don't think they have higher priorities. Using autonomous electric vehicles is an article of faith to save the planet. Nothing ranks higher.
It’s a religion

vantexan

Most young people don’t want to drive anymore. You were thinking like a guy who is our age that thinking fading away. I don’t think it’s good but that’s what’s happening..
Most young people become older people. I've seen the world where most people don't own cars. It's an economic reality. We may very well be near the tipping point of many not owning cars here because with crap paying jobs they just can't afford them. But those who can will own their own car for the most part. It would be an economic disaster to force everyone out of car ownership.

wilberforce15

Most young people become older people. I've seen the world where most people don't own cars. It's an economic reality. We may very well be near the tipping point of many not owning cars here because with crap paying jobs they just can't afford them. But those who can will own their own car for the most part. It would be an economic disaster to force everyone out of car ownership.
You haven't seen the world where people don't own cars. You've seen the world where they can't own cars. It's nothing at all alike.
You haven't seen a world where taxis are cheaper and just as convenient as owning. That's what's coming. Owning a car would increase your headache and costs, not give you convenience.