Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Thebrownblob

This is also why it has been an item of controversy whether Elon should open up his network to all vehicles. Which has been done some places..

It is bad for Tesla shareholders, but good for his mission of expanding the electric vehicle market and saving the planet or whatever. It would all of a sudden make everybody else's cars more desirable. And Tesla wouldn't even be making money off the increase business, or at least not very much money.
So you can’t charge a non-Tesla, EV at a Tesla charging station? I didn’t know that, What a weird situation that is. It would be like a certain cars to get gas at Shell or Exxon

wilberforce15

I hadn't considered that in order to sell EV's a company needs to sell the public on the idea there's an infrastructure in place to charge them. But that's also likely another reason why Teslas cost so much. The cost of doing all that is built into the price. No different than FedEx providing you with an envelope to send documents without charging you for it. The cost is built into the cost of the service.
In the context of the cost of the car, I don't think it's actually that big. I think their network runs at a loss, but not a big one. It is more profitable for Tesla to compete in higher price ranges. It costs a lot to make an electric car, but it doesn't cost a lot to make it a really great electric car. So you can add a lot of price, without much more work. That is why the electric econo box is going to take so long. There is a huge market for it, but not much money to be made. That's why it will come last, and probably after self-driving has already been fully solved.

wilberforce15

So you can’t charge a non-Tesla, EV at a Tesla charging station? I didn’t know that What a weird situation that is. It would be like a certain cars to get gas at Shell or Exxon
Varies by place. But it is complicated and cumbersome for most. That's why you don't see it much. Tesla could make it easier, but they don't really want to so far.

qdg2

Varies by place. But it is complicated and cumbersome for most. That's why you don't see it much. Tesla could make it easier, but they don't really want to so far.
Doesn't that pretty much sum up EV's?

Say, Where do the folks that don't have access to electricity in apts, work (just about anywhere).....and don't have hours to charge on the way to work or home.....just about everyone....

I expect your answer will be another long narrative of how this and that and how a complicated vehicle never needs maintenance(hell, a hammer needs some maintenance).....how people are begging to overpay for something with virtually no utility...

If I were to need another vehicle.....It's hard to even imagine a Tesla...

And when elect. becomes unaffordable and restricted(ie CA) and no gas alt. whoo eee.....

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
A Circle of Honor guy might make it 1-3 million miles between accidents. That's a career, depending on package or feeder.

Tesla's AI accident rate is in hundreds of millions of miles.

50 circle of honor careers in a row without accidents.
That is a lie. We have already gone through the accident rate for a mile for self driving..

wilberforce15

Doesn't that pretty much sum up EV's?

Say, Where do the folks that don't have access to electricity in apts, work (just about anywhere).....and don't have hours to charge on the way to work or home.....just about everyone....

I expect your answer will be another long narrative of how this and that and how a complicated vehicle never needs maintenance(hell, a hammer needs some maintenance).....how people are begging to overpay for something with virtually no utility...

If I were to need another vehicle.....It's hard to even imagine a Tesla...

And when elect. becomes unaffordable and restricted(ie CA) and no gas alt. whoo eee.....
Most people have electricity accessible at home. This isn't hard. I'm not going to address every weird circumstance. I haven't visited a mechanic in two years for any reason. I don't have an errand to fill up with gas or use a charger. An EV saves time for most people. Apartments are not a majority.

These things are insanely popular and have a very long waiting line because they are so convenient and high performance.

No charges take hours. Or even an hour. You're way behind the times and clearly don't understand the current market or cars.

The average user would need a public charger once a week for 20-30 minutes, even if they do not have electricity at home that is accessible. That would give 150 to 250 mi of range, which is what the average car in America drives per week.

You keep saying it has no utility. It has more utility for the average person. It is literally a better car for most purposes, even if you get rid of the environmentalism

Last edited:

trickpony1

The average user would need a public charger once a week for 20-30 minutes, even if they do not have electricity at home that is accessible. That would give 150 to 250 mi of range, which is what the average car in America drives per week.
Take a statistics class.
You'll find the arithmetic "average" can be affected by several things.

Example:
1 + 9 = 10.....average is 5
5 + 5 = 10.....average is 5

I know it's confusing.

Arithmetically helping.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Most people have electricity accessible at home. This isn't hard. I'm not going to address every weird circumstance. I haven't visited a mechanic in two years for any reason. I don't have an errand to fill up with gas or use a charger. An EV saves time for most people. Apartments are not a majority.

These things are insanely popular and have a very long waiting line because they are so convenient and high performance.

No charges take hours. Or even an hour. You're way behind the times and clearly don't understand the current market or cars.

You keep saying it has no utility. It has more utility for the average person. It is literally a better car for most purposes, even if you get rid of the environmentalism
1in 6 Americans live in an apartment.

wilberforce15

Take a statistics class.
You'll find the arithmetic "average" can be affected by several things.

Example:
1 + 9 = 10.....average is 5
5 + 5 = 10.....average is 5

I know it's confusing.

Arithmetically helping.
Median and average are very close in this case.

The vast majority of people put fewer miles on a car per week than the range of the lowest Tesla.

vantexan

Median and average are very close in this case.

The vast majority of people put fewer miles on a car per week than the range of the lowest Tesla.
Exactly. So why not have plug in hybrids that can handle the vast majority of trips on just electric with a much, much smaller battery rather than deplete our natural resources building cars with huge batteries that aren't needed? Isn't the goal to greatly reduce emissions? Isn't that possible with much more affordable cars? Who cares if the Tesla has performance like a race car when it's illegal to drive that fast anyways? The point is for mom to get to work and back on electric power.

wilberforce15

Exactly. So why not have plug in hybrids that can handle the vast majority of trips on just electric with a much, much smaller battery rather than deplete our natural resources building cars with huge batteries that aren't needed? Isn't the goal to greatly reduce emissions? Isn't that possible with much more affordable cars? Who cares if the Tesla has performance like a race car when it's illegal to drive that fast anyways? The point is for mom to get to work and back on electric power.
Hybrids are cheaper, and get the job done. That's a fine solution.

My goal is not to reduce emissions. Everybody has a different goal in what car they purchase.

But hybrids require more maintenance than a pure EV, and will not last as long, and give lower performance. Especially as time goes on. These are facts that aren't in dispute by anyone who knows the engineering.

You have repeatedly argued that you only care about getting from A to B. That's cool. Get a hybrid. The world isn't made up of people like you.

wilberforce15

I have never argued that electric vehicles are a better solution as a society, or that we should pursue them.

I have only argued that they are superior machines at the tasks that most people need. And that they are going to own the market, because this is what the global hegemony has it already decided.

They may have won on merit. They are better, but better things don't always win.

But they're definitely going to win on politics

vantexan

Hybrids are cheaper, and get the job done. That's a fine solution.

My goal is not to reduce emissions. Everybody has a different goal in what car they purchase.

But hybrids require more maintenance than a pure EV, and will not last as long, and give lower performance. Especially as time goes on. These are facts that aren't in dispute by anyone who knows the engineering.

You have repeatedly argued that you only care about getting from A to B. That's cool. Get a hybrid. The world isn't made up of people like you.
EV's i.e. Tesla have issues too yet over and over Toyota is rated the highest when it comes to reliability. But that's not the point. If the goal is driving with very low emissions then why not have the technology that accomplishes that at a much lower cost to the environment? Those huge batteries come at a much higher cost both to the buyer and to the environment. The latest Prius gets 220 horsepower. That's plenty enough performance. You say your goal isn't to reduce emissions but that's the stated goal of just about everyone that we must switch to electric to save the planet. I guess the world isn't made up of people like you either.

wilberforce15

EV's i.e. Tesla have issues too yet over and over Toyota is rated the highest when it comes to reliability. But that's not the point. If the goal is driving with very low emissions then why not have the technology that accomplishes that at a much lower cost to the environment? Those huge batteries come at a much higher cost both to the buyer and to the environment. The latest Prius gets 220 horsepower. That's plenty enough performance. You say your goal isn't to reduce emissions but that's the stated goal of just about everyone that we must switch to electric to save the planet. I guess the world isn't made up of people like you either.
Toyota is rated highest in reliability, because you are abandoning your own framework. I thought it was about getting A to B. Tesla is the most reliable at getting from A to B.

The so-called reliability rating is based on how many times people go for cosmetic or issues or body work or ill-fitting door handles or whatever. If you care about getting A to B, an electric motor is unbeatable.

The electric motor has been recognized as superior in reliability at any task it can handle for forever. If an electric can do the job, it is always preferred in every engineering sense over a combustion engine.

The only time an engineer would ever consider using a combustion engine is if the electrical motor can't do the job..

wilberforce15

For any given engineering task that an electrical motor can do, an electric motor is preferred over combustion in 100% of cases, across all disciplines and across all history.

Combustion engines literally only exist to tackle things that can't physically be handled by electrics