Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

rickyb

You never talk about the disadvantages of public transportation. If I did live in a big city, and I've driven in every major city in the U.S., except San Francisco, including at rush hour for many of them, I'd still pick driving a car over taking a bus or subway, which I've also done, as long as I could afford a car. I did without a car in Seattle and could take their bus system anywhere in the county. You just have to have patience and give yourself plenty of time. But I'd rather take a car there and even with heavy traffic go from point to point a lot faster. No waiting in the cold rain for the next bus. No walking blocks in the rain to get to your destination after getting off the bus. No trying to figure out which bus to take after sitting on a bus for 40 minutes and you're in a crowded terminal with a lot of buses coming and going. You can make it work, but it takes time, patience, and putting up with weather. And it's a fantasy to think we have the money to build trains everywhere or even have the kind of bus system Seattle has. The topography of some cities, like Seattle, wouldn't make trains feasible anyways.
Private cars dont work period. its too inefficient

Best bet is to get the best public trsnsport system you can get. its not a lot of money to just cover bus stops, put in good seats

vantexan

Best bet is to get the best public trsnsport system you can get. its not a lot of money to just cover bus stops, put in good seats
It's still incredibly inefficient. Cars take you directly from your location to your destination. Public transportation is primarily the means to transport those who can't afford cars. I'm all for helping the poor. I'm trying to decide between living in a town of 14,000 and getting a Corolla hybrid for trips to bigger places on occasion or living in a bigger city of 100,000 that has a bus system that meets my needs. The bigger place costs more but the car in the smaller town will more than make up the difference. But you're just independent with a car.

oldngray

nowhere special

How far do many people have to go to get to a bus stop? Might be several miles if you live in the suburbs. Or even farther for more rural areas.

Park and ride only makes sense if you work downtown where there is little parking available.

vantexan

How far do many people have to go to get to a bus stop? Might be several miles if you live in the suburbs. Or even farther for more rural areas.

Park and ride only makes sense if you work downtown where there is little parking available.
Seattle has bus stops all over, even in the suburbs. But that still may mean walking a couple of blocks in bad weather and depending on time of day up to a half hour for the next bus. What I liked in 1990 was paying $24 a month for unlimited riding. Buses typically ran from 4 a.m. until 1 a.m. the next morning.

rickyb

It's still incredibly inefficient. Cars take you directly from your location to your destination. Public transportation is primarily the means to transport those who can't afford cars. I'm all for helping the poor. I'm trying to decide between living in a town of 14,000 and getting a Corolla hybrid for trips to bigger places on occasion or living in a bigger city of 100,000 that has a bus system that meets my needs. The bigger place costs more but the car in the smaller town will more than make up the difference. But you're just independent with a car.
Public transport is not about transportimg the poor lol

Why dont you live somewhere fun with cheap housing like vegas or nearby

Cars pollute way too much and driving and rush hour is wack

rickyb

Then make it more convenient

vantexan

Public transport is not about transportimg the poor lol

Why dont you live somewhere fun with cheap housing like vegas or nearby

Cars pollute way too much and driving and rush hour is wack
You think Las Vegas is cheap? And public transportation in the U.S. is primarily about providing transportation for the poor. The exception being New York City.

Where I'll most likely be living is in a RV park in that town of 14,000. That's $375 a month for the space but it includes cable, wifi, water, trash, and sewer. Just pay electric used. I could get by with an ebike there no problem but would want a car. In the bigger town can use local bus system, RV park is $450 a month. Can rent a car if ever needed. Town has everything needed or wanted. City 40 miles away has good airport.

Or I could buy a pickup, put a camper on it, camp in state parks for $225 a year. Parks have restrooms with showers, potable water, trash, spaces with electric for $4 a night if you have the $225 annual pass. Can primitive camp for free. Parks are nice, well kept, many are open all year.

Or I could pay half my SS on a crappy apartment somewhere, most of my SS in your fun places, get food stamps, vegetate in front of off air tv. Fun, fun, fun.

Last edited:

vantexan

Then make it more convenient
What you want is to force everyone on to public transportation. Meanwhile other countries aren't doing that. If we're going to mandate anything, make hybrid technology required. A lot less fuel used, a lot less emissions. Plug in hybrids can make most daily trips on battery only. We'll never achieve zero emissions, but look at what happened during the pandemic. A lot less driving, air cleaned up. Same thing would happen using plug in hybrids. No need to force everyone into all electric or onto very inconvenient buses.

rickyb

What you want is to force everyone on to public transportation. Meanwhile other countries aren't doing that. If we're going to mandate anything, make hybrid technology required. A lot less fuel used, a lot less emissions. Plug in hybrids can make most daily trips on battery only. We'll never achieve zero emissions, but look at what happened during the pandemic. A lot less driving, air cleaned up. Same thing would happen using plug in hybrids. No need to force everyone into all electric or onto very inconvenient buses.
europe does have better public transportation

saying well never achieve zero emissions is like saying you give up on fighting satan.

maybe electric would have a chance at competing against public transport if the cars werent so excessively big and wasteful. if it was an electric bike which is covered from the rain then it might be reasonable.

rickyb

You think Las Vegas is cheap? And public transportation in the U.S. is primarily about providing transportation for the poor. The exception being New York City.

Where I'll most likely be living is in a RV park in that town of 14,000. That's $375 a month for the space but it includes cable, wifi, water, trash, and sewer. Just pay electric used. I could get by with an ebike there no problem but would want a car. In the bigger town can use local bus system, RV park is $450 a month. Can rent a car if ever needed. Town has everything needed or wanted. City 40 miles away has good airport.

Or I could buy a pickup, put a camper on it, camp in state parks for $225 a year. Parks have restrooms with showers, potable water, trash, spaces with electric for $4 a night if you have the $225 annual pass. Can primitive camp for free. Parks are nice, well kept, many are open all year.

Or I could pay half my SS on a crappy apartment somewhere, most of my SS in your fun places, get food stamps, vegetate in front of off air tv. Fun, fun, fun.
henderson nv is cheap. its 1/4 of the price of toronto and the wages are considerably higher.

you could just live in a stealth van and park it at apartments and pay zero rent. then you could afford to get offline, unplug from the matrix, and do crazy stuff before you die.

vantexan

henderson nv is cheap. its 1/4 of the price of toronto and the wages are considerably higher.

you could just live in a stealth van and park it at apartments and pay zero rent. then you could afford to get offline, unplug from the matrix, and do crazy stuff before you die.
I just checked on Numbeo. Rent in Henderson is 4% lower than in Toronto and groceries in Henderson are 12% higher. I have no clue where you got such a stat from but you won't find any city in the U.S. only 25% of the cost of living of Toronto.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

IMG_2103.gif