OSHA Heat Rule-making Progress Being Made

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
How is this relevant to UPS requirements in following the law relevant to the proposed OSHA Heat Rule?

Are you suggesting that it is ok for UPS to blame the workers and have the ones who are not able to figure this out to suffer and to absolve the corrupt, dishonest, and disgrace management culture of UPS from having to fulfill their responsibilities under the law?

Are you or were you management at UPS?

I was management and hourly at UPS.
I drove package car for 30 years. Didn't need OSHA or management to tell me when and how to stay hydrated. Filled up my own water jug when needed. When it was hot I walked through a sprinkler or went swimming on my lunch and/or breaks. Prima donnas want everything handed to them today. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Union talks for us.

Be prepared, stop relying on others for your own well being, recipe for disaster.
Not on point.

Open to discuss those points. You know little about me.

I was a long time steward with a great relationship with a powerhouse E. board. I still had to file a couple of formal OSHA Complaints during my employment with UPS.

Back in point friend:

Do you reject the notion of corporate responsibility as per UPS responsibility to supply water to drivers in the manner described in the OSHA Proposed Heat Rule?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not on point.

Open to discuss those points. You know little about me.

I was a long time steward with a great relationship with a powerhouse E. board. I still had to file a couple of formal OSHA Complaints during my employment with UPS.

Back in point friend:

Do you reject the notion of corporate responsibility as per UPS responsibility to supply water to drivers in the manner described in the OSHA Proposed Heat Rule?
Merica' was built by self reliant folk that that enough sense to drink when thirsty. Are we that far gone?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I drove package car for 30 years. Didn't need OSHA or management to tell me when and how to stay hydrated. Filled up my own water jug when needed. When it was hot I walked through a sprinkler or went swimming on my lunch and/or breaks. Prima donnas want everything handed to them today. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
I get it . This is nothing about Primma donnas, actually corrupt, greedy, disgraceful corporations act like the Primma donnas, at least as I see it.

I strongly believe in personal responsibility, our views on this may be different.

Based upon the proposed OSHA Heat rule, pertaining to drinking water of 1 quart per hour on “Heat days” as described in the rule I would say that 3 gallons of suitably cool water is the amount of water UPS will be required to provide each driver on his truck.

You may hate the proposed rule, you may hate OSHA, but can we at least agree this is what the proposed rule is saying.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Merica' was built by self reliant folk that that enough sense to drink when thirsty. Are we that far gone?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I get it . This is nothing about Primma donnas, actually corrupt, greedy, disgraceful corporations act like the Primma donnas, at least as I see it.

I strongly believe in personal responsibility, our views on this may be different.

Based upon the proposed OSHA Heat rule, pertaining to drinking water of 1 quart per hour on “Heat days” as described in the rule I would say that 3 gallons of suitably cool water is the amount of water UPS will be required to provide each driver on his truck.

You may hate the proposed rule, you may hate OSHA, but can we at least agree this is what the proposed rule is saying.
I don't need a government agency to tell me how to stay hydrated or how to fill my water jug. We need less government and more personal responsibility.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't need a government agency to tell me how to stay hydrated or how to fill my water jug. We need less government and more personal responsibility.
That may be true but that is not relevant to the question, the question was:

Thebrownblob

No it is not. Only when I see in a persons response the possibility that this is the case. I have experienced and observed many company suck ups over the years.

I only ask this question to see if that is how you view yourself if you are offended by the term please forgive me.

I do not sympathize very much with the UPS management system and culture that is corrupt, dishonest, oppressive, greedy, lacking integrity in most things.

My view is UPS can spare a couple of billion in net income per year to spend on their employees and still be doing just fine.
You seem to just want to penalize evil UPS more than you’re interested in making sure people are actually hydrated.

I explained to you the logistics and some of the problems with your one size fits all government regulation solution of ice and 5 gallons of water on a package car.

It would not even close to the way you think. Not to mention that drivers won’t wait in line to fill up their 5 gallon barrel of water with ice and water when we can’t even get them to take a half hour lunch. Would you like the company to discipline those people?

Also, don’t forget that UPS will get that money back in future negotiations with smaller pensions, smaller raises. That is a fact.

I’ve worked here a long time. I’ve never once heard management tell an hourly that they could not stop and get water when it’s hot. I’ve been involved in many incidents Were the employee who was overheated was instructed to go sit in the air conditioning for as long as it took.
Calling fellow brothers and sisters kiss Ups if they have different perspective then you is unbecoming of you.

Thebrownblob

I don’t even see a question.

No one hates the proposed rule.

Most realized the logistics don’t really work in a package car.

The one size fits all rule creates just as many problems as it solves.

Pullman Brown

No it is not. Only when I see in a persons response the possibility that this is the case. I have experienced and observed many company suck ups over the years.

I only ask this question to see if that is how you view yourself if you are offended by the term please forgive me.

I do not sympathize very much with the UPS management system and culture that is corrupt, dishonest, oppressive, greedy, lacking integrity in most things.

My view is UPS can spare a couple of billion in net income per year to spend on their employees and still be doing just fine.
Multiple facts can be happening at the same time.

1. Irresponsible, greedy, corrupt, miscreant management decision makers being forced to do what they should have done years ago with the heat in back of the truck.

2. Irresponsible, effeminate, weak, UPS drivers not taking responsibility for their health

3. A society forming and producing and encouraging this type of person in number 2.

So when number 3 happens then number 2 is not built to handle number 1.

Last edited:

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

You don’t know what thirst is.
You guys are really pathetic that you expect someone else to provide you with water. Need a nipple too?

Integrity

Binge Poster
You seem to just want to penalize evil UPS more than you’re interested in making sure people are actually hydrated. I don’t want to punish anyone ever. Sorry it seems that way. I will try to adjust my words to reflect this

I explained to you the logistics and some of the problems with your one size fits all government regulation solution of ice and 5 gallons of water on a package car. The regulations are clear. How a company complies is the responsibility of the company. Companies with a lot of money should have an easier time with this.

It would not even close to the way you think. Not to mention that drivers won’t wait in line to fill up their 5 gallon barrel of water with ice and water when we can’t even get them to take a half hour lunch. Would you like the company to discipline those people?I never want to see any employee getting disciplined, my EBoard’s position and mine( as steward) has always been to encourage the rank and file to do the job exactly as trainedi and if any management person tries to direct them to work in conflict with company training then to notify me immediately and we will get the Board on it.

Also, don’t forget that UPS will get that money back in future negotiations with smaller pensions, smaller raises. That is a fact.I cannot predict the future or allow guessing as to what will or will not happen to determine my actions of righteousness today

I’ve worked here a long time. I’ve never once heard management tell an hourly that they could not stop and get water when it’s hot. I’ve been involved in many incidents Were the employee who was overheated was instructed to go sit in the air conditioning for as long as it took.
Did you watch the Heat Video in the Union Issues Forum?
Calling fellow brothers and sisters kiss Ups if they have different perspective then you is unbecoming of you. I didn’t actually call them that, I just asked them if they were. I will adjust this wording to not appear to be name calling, which I was not. Sorry.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don’t even see a question.Sorry, is UPS responsibility clear to you even if in your opinion the logistics of fulfilling said responsibility is in question?

No one hates the proposed rule. It seems some do.

Most realized the logistics don’t really work in a package car.Where there is a will there is a way.

The one size fits all rule creates just as many problems as it solves.It is easy peasy the way I see it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Multiple facts can be happening at the same time.

1. Irresponsible, greedy, corrupt, miscreant management decision makers being forced to do what they should have done years ago with the heat in back of the truck.

2. Irresponsible, effeminate, weak, UPS drivers not taking responsibility for their health

3. A society forming and producing and encouraging this type of person in number 2.

So when number 3 happens then number 2 is not built to handle number 1.
Where do you fit in?

Pullman Brown

Where do you fit in?
Do you think these are all the facts and descriptive categories? Multiple facts can be happening at the same time without UPS employees falling into any of the categories I described above, while simultaneously wanting the facts to be changed as much as is possible as they work in this culture at work and in society!

Last edited:

I have a 22qt ice chest in my pc. I have two 1-gallon jugs that I fill with ups water daily, and keep it cold using ice ups gives me. What else should they have to do? I drink two gallons a day and it's as hot here as anywhere in the country. I've never even come close to a heat injury. I also take care of myself and ensure my readiness for work. It's my responsibility. 10/10 heat injuries are caused by the person experiencing the heat injury.

Thebrownblob

I have a 22qt ice chest in my pc. I have two 1-gallon jugs that I fill with ups water daily, and keep it cold using ice ups gives me. What else should they have to do? I drink two gallons a day and it's as hot here as anywhere in the country. I've never even come close to a heat injury. I also take care of myself and ensure my readiness for work. It's my responsibility. 10/10 heat injuries are caused by the person experiencing the heat injury.
Are you a company kiss ass?