Possible suspensions of Response beginning in a few weeks

bbsam

Staff member
That problem is directly proportional to how poorly FedEx regards it's Ground ISP's, and that's how the ISP's often treat their couriers.

Nobody should be surprised that is the result.

Treat otherwise good people like crap, eventually get crap people in return. Every time.

The old saying that "you can beat a good dog into bad" is very apropos to what ails Ground.
Well said! The only ISPs that I know who are somewhat satisfied are the ones who can simply afford to walk away whenever they want. I think we’re getting very close to completely ignoring service and base all decisions strictly on profitability. 70 stops and 160 miles? Let it sit for a day. Not worth it.

!Retired!

Most express stations are going to move into new ground buildings. Ground will be taking up to 50% of express freight by this coming peak.
Response will be canceled due to lack of volume. Too difficult to get pilots for flights now also.
Some express stations near ramps will be FO only. Large stations will be cut into smaller ones. Employees will be moved to new stations.
Within next couple years everything will be different as to how we operate now.
I'm no legal expert, but I would think doing that possibly opens up losing the RLA status.

Star B

White Lightening
I'm no legal expert, but I would think doing that possibly opens up losing the RLA status.
I would love to think so, but I don't see this happening. Considering Amazon treats their drivers like employees worse than Ground does -- until labor friendly government gets installed, nothing is going to change.

Also, to quote Continental CEO Gordon Bethune while making the turnaround for the airline:

''You can make a pizza so cheap, nobody will buy it."

''Have you ever seen a successful company that doesn't have a good product and where people don't like coming to work every day?''

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I would love to think so, but I don't see this happening. Considering Amazon treats their drivers like employees worse than Ground does -- until labor friendly government gets installed, nothing is going to change.

Also, to quote Continental CEO Gordon Bethune while making the turnaround for the airline:

''You can make a pizza so cheap, nobody will buy it."

''Have you ever seen a successful company that doesn't have a good product and where people don't like coming to work every day?''
You're comparing apples to oranges. There is specific language in the FedEx RLA exemption in regards to the freight that is handled by Express. They have been pushing those boundaries for awhile now but the scenario of Ground taking all of our deferred freight that is flown will set off major lawsuits.

Star B

White Lightening
You're comparing apples to oranges. There is specific language in the FedEx RLA exemption in regards to the freight that is handled by Express. They have been pushing those boundaries for awhile now but the scenario of Ground taking all of our deferred freight that is flown will set off major lawsuits.
You talking about the Express Carrier act of 2003?

Star B

White Lightening
No, FedEx has an exemption to include all of its Express employees to be covered under the RLA. Regardless of job classification.
Are you sure it's an exemption? If it is, can you please reference it? I've worked for companies under companies that were under the RLA and they weren't "exceptions"... it was just part of the RLA standard.

MAKAVELI

Are you sure it's an exemption? If it is, can you please reference it? I've worked for companies under companies that were under the RLA and they weren't "exceptions"... it was just part of the RLA standard.
Hall argues that, in 1996, FedEx successfully lobbied for a provision in the FAA bill that gave them the union organizing legal status they have today.

“They were granted a special exemption in 1996, and we’re trying to level the playing field,” Hall said.

But legislative history suggests the story is a bit more complicated.

In 1995, Congress abolished the Interstate Commerce Commission and, with it, FedEx’s legal justification for tougher unionizing rules. But the next year, lawmakers from both parties, citing the new law’s intent, said FedEx had been mistakenly stripped of its status and voted to restore it.

Aquaman

I think there is some weight to this, where im located recently a local express station closed up and moved into a new ground facility with a few other ground facilities being under construction nearby.
Just like Response this is another train wreck idea from upper managment. It’s not rocket science… you do NOT want company employees with benefits, pensions, and better vacation & pay, working alongside contractors who have none of that… in the same building. It’s one of the worst ideas I’ve heard in my 15 years here.

10-27

We were told that too. Making way and reassigning response drivers to the next nightmare. ESTAR that's supposed to start mid March.

MassWineGuy

What the heck is ESTAR?

Oh. I guess it’s an electric truck. We still have many 2012 vans that aren’t being replaced any time soon.

McFeely

Huge Member
Estar is the "new" "dra" routing system on steroids, turn by turn
Routing as well as sequencing that we're supposed to follow so customers know what time of day to expect their deliveries.

Should work out great when I get oncall pups on the other side of town that close early.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Routing as well as sequencing that we're supposed to follow so customers know what time of day to expect their deliveries.

Should work out great when I get oncall pups on the other side of town that close early.
Since company standards have been mostly abandoned, late PUPs should be immaterial.

Or, WAD and get more hours.

McFeely

Huge Member
Since company standards have been mostly abandoned, late PUPs should be immaterial.

We actually had an official full service disruption recently and our management was adamant the we run ONLY P1s first. Zero standalone P2 stops until we were done with all P1 deliveries.

Only exceptions were those with extended 12:00 and 16:30 P1 areas.

For some reason all the rolled freight daily didn’t mean anything but a stand-alone P2 on a snow day was an issue 🥸

Nolimitz

We actually had an official full service disruption recently and our management was adamant the we run ONLY P1s first. Zero standalone P2 stops until we were done with all P1 deliveries.

Only exceptions were those with extended 12:00 and 16:30 P1 areas.

For some reason all the rolled freight daily didn’t mean anything but a stand-alone P2 on a snow day was an issue 🥸
It's Feb. any standalone in an AA area is verboten. I forget what Mar brings?