PVD's and loss of overtime

Yeahhh

Have any locals had success with Article 32 grievances or other grievances to get the right to requested overtime back? I came in under 8 hours (still took code 6) 6 out of the past 10 days.

DOK

Think they’re saying there’s no overtime guarantee and also that it’s peak, that’s what I’m hearing here anyway. Go into feeders where ot is unlimited.

Yeahhh

Not a guarantee, but Article 32 does state that "The employer may not subcontract work in any classification for the purpose of avoiding overtime." Which IS happening if the center does have drivers not on the 9.5 list.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Not a guarantee, but Article 32 does state that "The employer may not subcontract work in any classification for the purpose of avoiding overtime." Which IS happening if the center does have drivers not on the 9.5 list.
9.5 list does not apply November thru 2nd week in January.

Yeahhh

Correct, 9.5 is non-binding on the company during that period. 9.5 list would still serve as documented interest in not working over 40 hours though. That could serve as a defense to farming out extra to PVD's. (Hiring enough PVD's to keep those particular drivers at 8 hours a day.)

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
More like loss of 8 hours rather than overtime. Everyone here is coded at 05 and only getting 6 maybe 7 hours a day.

Yeahhh

Weird. I started as a seasonal on our night sort and was paid $10.35/hour due to being an "independent contractor" during peak 2018.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Around my parts we’ve renamed “peak season” to “weak season”. The reduction in our paid days is alarming to put it mildly.

Clearly the company has prioritized offshoring our work to PVD’s over having us work any overtime. I spoke with our Regional Operations Manager about the wages they’re paying helpers ($23) and PVD’s ($38.74), and how that blows away our new 22.4’s ($21.50) and she just responded that we need to pay them a competitive wage.

Well that pretty much sums it up, our own employees are of no concern but gotta make sure Joe PVD makes his $40 an hour.

scooby0048

Around my parts we’ve renamed “peak season” to “weak season”. The reduction in our paid days is alarming to put it mildly.

Clearly the company has prioritized offshoring our work to PVD’s over having us work any overtime. I spoke with our Regional Operations Manager about the wages they’re paying helpers ($23) and PVD’s ($38.74), and how that blows away our new 22.4’s ($21.50) and she just responded that we need to pay them a competitive wage.

Well that pretty much sums it up, our own employees are of no concern but gotta make sure Joe PVD makes his $40 an hour.
Are they really paying PVDs full rate? My SIL is doing it in WA and she said they were paying $29 and I said BS you must have heard wrong.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Are they really paying PVDs full rate? My SIL is doing it in WA and she said they were paying $29 and I said BS you must have heard wrong.
Yes, we were paying them Top-Scale throughout the summer up till November. We fully expected they’d go back down to the contractual rate but they did not. They also get 54¢ a mile plus $5 a day for their phones. On average they’re getting about $45 an hour after everything is combined.

I get that health and welfare adds up but that’s more than double the $21.50 our 22.4’s are making. Just crazy!

scooby0048

Different seasonal wages across the country. We're paying PVDs $21plus mileage. Some areas are paying top rate plus mileage.

Yes, we were paying them Top-Scale throughout the summer up till November. We fully expected they’d go back down to the contractual rate but they did not. They also get 54¢ a mile plus $5 a day for their phones. On average they’re getting about $45 an hour after everything is combined.

I get that health and welfare adds up but that’s more than double the $21.50 our 22.4’s are making. Just crazy!
Wow, that's what I get for thinking the pay for PVDs was the same all across the country like our pay is. Guess I'll be sending my SIL a better Xmas gift this year instead of admitting I was wrong...

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I can actually thank a PVD for some OT yesterday. For weeks I've been coming in under 8 hours everyday, & I'm no runner. They took off my drop boxes, UPS Store and some other pick ups, to other drivers added to area. Sometimes it's a fight just to get your guaranteed 8 or be paid correctly.

I was heading back in, content with my 8 hours when sup called to have me bail out the PVD. Sure, though having to take a break sucked. But got some weekday OT for the first time this peak. If they're paying that guy top rate plus extras, that sucks too.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wow, that's what I get for thinking the pay for PVDs was the same all across the country like our pay is. Guess I'll be sending my SIL a better Xmas gift this year instead of admitting I was wrong...

Top rate isn't the same across the country, though I don't think it varies all that much.

MethodsMan

The whole PVD thing is a joke. Especially if they’re making top rate. How proficient is it when Suzy the homemaker pulls up in her Toyota Corolla stuffed to the brim. Drives back and forth to the storage unit to get parcels every 15 or so stops.

Next contract this PVD stuff needs to be put to an end. I’m sure the union loves those dues rolling in though.