PVD's and loss of overtime

oldngray

nowhere special
Pretty sure the unions stance is that they are considered seasonal employees. Only difference between them and a seasonal driver is that they’ve agreed to use their own vehicle as opposed to a company vehicle.
Do they pay union dues? If not just call them scabs.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
im going to express an unpopular opinion.

THIS PARTICULAR YEAR ONLY, i have no problem with the complete lack of OT. there are a LOT of people who lost jobs and had to permanently close businesses. so the incredible amount of seasonals taking our OT is fine by me. its allowi g famimies to make it through a very difficult year, and give them time to adjust and come up with a more perminent solution. that type of thing. So, let them work Saturdays, let them stay out till 10pm, im home eating dinner everynight with my family. for the first real time all the drivers in our building know and understand, that 6th punch is voluntary.
now, moving forward, something HAS TO BE DONE about pvds and the like. i agree.
but, just this year, take the easy peak.

Next year? well thats a different story.

R1wonder

Lots of over time at my building . We had guys with a last stop at 1:40 am . Obviously that isn’t legal but that’s how we’re dispatched . Feel free to come help lol

Attachments

• 7FE95195-C2C5-48BC-A8FC-2DC6508C2E61.jpeg
    7FE95195-C2C5-48BC-A8FC-2DC6508C2E61.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 137

Yeahhh

IF they're paying union dues, I don't see a problem with them as a solution to centers that roll stops daily. In most cases, the company is abusing them to avoid overtime though. I think the company needs the opposite of the 9.5 list for the drivers that want it though.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am averaging the same hours I was prior to PVDs being hired.

These threads amuse me. I still remember peak seasons pre-2014 where many of us would start the day with bricked out trucks and clock out between 2200 and 2230 every night. Our center manager would be standing at the gas pumps so he could force people off the clock and would have local sort of fuel and park our trucks. That was before UPS started convincing the government to extend available hours to 70. Now we have drivers complaining about not getting enough overtime. LMFAO

Personally, I like the way things are now. Keeping drivers out past 2100 was never a good idea. Some of the old-timers were staying out well past midnight as recently as the mid 1990s. It’s dangerous and the overtime isn’t really worth the hassle once taxes come in to play. We’ve had a few late nights here and there since 2014 but I can count on one hand how many times I’ve clocked out past 2100.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Think they’re saying there’s no overtime guarantee and also that it’s peak, that’s what I’m hearing here anyway. Go into feeders where ot is unlimited.
We need pvd feeder drivers. They can code 5 all night.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Pretty sure the unions stance is that they are considered seasonal employees. Only difference between them and a seasonal driver is that they’ve agreed to use their own vehicle as opposed to a company vehicle.

Yep.

Some people might think that the company should buy more vehicles, or invest in more infrastructure that would not be

utilized for the majority of the year. The Union's instance on something like that.... puts company's out of business.

Wally

Yea, then they can't fit any larger packages. So we get the call to do it.

Zowert

Last night they tried to send a PVD to come take stops off me. I said no, if you want to send a RPCD (or 22.4) fine, otherwise I’m going to continue my route. Never heard anything back. Got done at 10, punched out with 13.75 hours.

I get that PVDs are seasonal employees and they’re paying union dues. I still don’t like them taking work from full time drivers. Anyway, it’s funny how many of them show up in compact cars. Drive off with thirty pieces and take six hours to deliver them.

Last edited:

Wally

Last night they tried to send a PVD to come take stops off me. I said no, if you want to send a RPCD (or 22.4) fine, otherwise I’m going to continue my route. Never heard anything back. Got done at 10, punched out with 13.75 hours.
Didn't know you can refuse management work orders?