Question

vantexan

You are complaining about something that happened 18 years ago. Really? 18 years ago.
No, the subject is on whether there still is a 35 hrs guarantee or is a mgr lying that it's been taken away. I had experience with something similar, even said I don't know if they can still enter that an employee waived it, and you turned it into a complaint. You may have been with the company longer, but I've worked with a lot more mgrs than you, and many of them have a bad moral compass. At any rate I or anyone else should be able to contribute to a thread without you attacking us for anything you perceive as criticism of the company. You want to challenge flat out lies, have at it. But you challenge everything as if the company does no wrong and we're just ingrate whiners.

Oldfart

No, the subject is on whether there still is a 35 hrs guarantee or is a mgr lying that it's been taken away. I had experience with something similar, even said I don't know if they can still enter that an employee waived it, and you turned it into a complaint. You may have been with the company longer, but I've worked with a lot more mgrs than you, and many of them have a bad moral compass. At any rate I or anyone else should be able to contribute to a thread without you attacking us for anything you perceive as criticism of the company. You want to challenge flat out lies, have at it. But you challenge everything as if the company does no wrong and we're just ingrate whiners.

You posted that your guarantee was cancelled once in 1999. That was 18 years ago. Lets hold a.grudge for 18 years why dont we.

vantexan

You posted that your guarantee was cancelled once in 1999. That was 18 years ago. Lets hold a.grudge for 18 years why dont we.
So we can never draw from our experience to illustrate a point that might have some bearing on a discussion? Really? Why do you feel the need to attack anyone who is critical of the company? Do you feel they're above reproach?

vantexan

And it wasn't cancelled once. And was the tip of the iceberg with that mgr. He ultimately was told by the company to take the mgr's buyout or be fired. Put quite a few of us through the wringer before that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Of course I never saw that manager today. BUT one of our HR people was in our building so I asked her. She was very informative and explained it well. The 35 hour minimum is NOT gone. What is happening is that management is being held to scheduling people for 35 or 17.5 to make sure they get their hours. If not, we still get our minimum. I told her that that is not the way it was explained by the mgr. We shall see what happens.

Another issue I asked her about, a FT PM courier was told when they arrived at work Friday afternoon that they had to work 11 hours that day, even though it would push them to working til midnight. HR lady said, nope they can't do that. Needless to say, I will have her contact info available from here on out.

vantexan

Of course I never saw that manager today. BUT one of our HR people was in our building so I asked her. She was very informative and explained it well. The 35 hour minimum is NOT gone. What is happening is that management is being held to scheduling people for 35 or 17.5 to make sure they get their hours. If not, we still get our minimum. I told her that that is not the way it was explained by the mgr. We shall see what happens.

Another issue I asked her about, a FT PM courier was told when they arrived at work Friday afternoon that they had to work 11 hours that day, even though it would push them to working til midnight. HR lady said, nope they can't do that. Needless to say, I will have her contact info available from here on out.
So the PMer was told they'd have to work 11 hrs to get their guarantee? And if so and the courier says no they then can cancel the guarantee? Sounds like rather than do their job better they want to put everything on the couriers. Amazing that they would even try it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So the PMer was told they'd have to work 11 hrs to get their guarantee? And if so and the courier says no they then can cancel the guarantee? Sounds like rather than do their job better they want to put everything on the couriers. Amazing that they would even try it.
Yep. The courier will be informed tonight that mgmt can't do that. The HR rep said they are now under the spotlight with scheduling.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Part of me is wondering if their trying to keep this quiet prior to SFA

This was regional... some people (ops mgr, seniors, or even MDs and RVPs) would introduce something unpopular leading up to the SFA and scores would tank. They eventually realized that they shouldn't do that and started doing the unpopular stuff after the SFA.

The people taking the SFA caught on and started giving bad scores again on the (usually correct) assumption that an unpopular rule or policy change would be implemented soon after the SFA. It was pretty funny.

!Retired!

This was regional... some people (ops mgr, seniors, or even MDs and RVPs) would introduce something unpopular leading up to the SFA and scores would tank. They eventually realized that they shouldn't do that and started doing the unpopular stuff after the SFA.

The people taking the SFA caught on and started giving bad scores again on the (usually correct) assumption that an unpopular rule or policy change would be implemented soon after the SFA. It was pretty funny.
'Management keeps me informed'

59 Dano

So, you'll hammer your manager for something that's out of his control?

I would depending on the circumstances.

FYI, the best way to hammer your manager? Give him a perfect score on the first questions that related directly to him and give the worst score to everything else on the survey. The perception is that he takes credit for anything you like you and throws the rest of the company under the bus for anything you don't like.

Or... Some people think you should answer every question with the 'strongly disagree' option. The downside of that is that it'll show up as one or two people going negative and can be explained away. Unless a bunch of people do it, that is. A mix of answers between 'strongly disagree' and 'neither agree nor disagree' will send a message that's much harder to explain away.

Oldfart

OK, No point trying to have a discussion with you. When your maturity matches your age let us know.
18 years ago my wife made scrambled eggs instead of fried eggs. I guess I need to do like you and whine and cry about that even though it happened in 1999

Star B

White Lightening
The 35 hour minimum is NOT gone. What is happening is that management is being held to scheduling people for 35 or 17.5 to make sure they get their hours. If not, we still get our minimum. I told her that that is not the way it was explained by the mgr. We shall see what happens.
So... it sounds like more LWOP being offered for normal CRRs and the swings pick up the slack.

59 Dano

Another issue I asked her about, a FT PM courier was told when they arrived at work Friday afternoon that they had to work 11 hours that day, even though it would push them to working til midnight.

I would say that the manager (or senior, if that's the case) who did this shouldn't even raise the issue with the courier. Take the lump for having to pay out the minimum and save yourself the goodwill with your underling. However, the person who did this has probably --I'm speculating based on my own observations-- made a habit out of not adjusting staffing to the work when he was able to do so. Now he's under the gun.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They offer LWOP at our station during the slow vacation times.

CSA's at my station stay until about 10:00-10:30 PM. Don't ask me what they do until then......I'm in bed.
I was offered LWOP last week for the first time in many years.

CSA's are imaging Genesis, scanning the cage, updating traces, etc.