Random Facts

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The fact she was in the top 1000 is nuts.
I assume this list and votes were done prior to October.
Nevermind ... One does not have to do good things to be on the list.
Bashar Assad, President of Syria
Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran

Were on the list too.

As my memory was jostled, I believe HItler was named Person of the Year too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Happy Birthday, Megan.

AAB4511-8x12-300dpi-L.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
The crossword puzzle is poised to turn 100 years old............New York World published the first "word cross" on Dec. 21, 1913. It was created by journalist, Arthur Wynne in the Sunday Fun Section.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A & E already knew the Robertsons are a gun-totin', bible thumpin', southern family. Why would they kow-tow to the LGBT community when the Duck Dynasty is clearly not aimed at the LGBT community. ?
Phil is entitled to his opinion. His opinion wasn't even given on A&E. His opinion was most of America's opinion a few years back.

I've written twice to A&E this morning to let them know the first amendment gives Phil the right to his opinion.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most other A&E shows do cater to the more liberal/gay community. I wasn't surprised by their actions against Robertson, only surprised that they ever aired a show about him in the first place. I think A&E's idea was to humiliate a family of backwoods gun totin' rednecks but to their surprise the show took off and many people liked the Robertsons. Possibly the show's success embarrassed A&E and they saw this as a good excuse to cancel the show.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've written twice to A&E this morning to let them know the first amendment gives Phil the right to his opinion.

No it does not ... at least as related to this issue.
Neither the 1st Amendment nor the 14th Amendment cover anything outside the relationship and punitive actions against an individual citizen by any level of governments.

The first amendment protects citizens from the government from taking any action against them due to what the citizens says ... in particular, if they say something against the government.
Citizens can say anything they want as long as they do not fall within the following:
  • Burning draft cards to protest draft — prohibited because of superior governmental interest.
  • Words likely to incite imminent violence, termed “fighting words.”
  • Words immediately jeopardizing national security.
  • Newspaper publishing false and defamatory material — libel.

Adams passed the Sedition Acts back in 1798 and were so unpopular that Jefferson was elected and these laws expired in 1802.
Lincoln suspended the 1st amendment rights to some extent

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'd like to see the Robertson family sit down and let A&E ratings drop to where they were before this show. The only thing I ever watched on A&E was Dog re-runs from 7-9 in the mornings. I don't care what the right is called or what # it is, if you don't like gays, you can say so.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'd like to see the Robertson family sit down and let A&E ratings drop to where they were before this show. The only thing I ever watched on A&E was Dog re-runs from 7-9 in the mornings. I don't care what the right is called or what # it is, if you don't like gays, you can say so.
Dog had his own run-ins with political correctness off camera yet he remains.

Necropostophiliac

A FUN Fact most do not know!

Phil Robertson net worth: Phil Robertson is an American hunting enthusiast, businessman and reality television star who has a net worth of $15 million.

Phil Robertson is the patriarch of the Robertson family which owns and operates a multi-million dollar hunting accessory company called Duck Commander.

Phil Robertson attended Louisiana Tech on a football scholarship where he was the starting quarterback and star of the football team.

He actually started ahead of future NFL hall of famer Terry Bradshaw.

Upon graduation Phil had the option to play football professionally but declined because he didn't want to miss duck hunting season.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/phil-robertson-net-worth/

texan

I have very many 100 watt bulbs I bought by cases before the cutoff.

Sylvania, not GE, payed no taxes, Obama lover / supporter bulbs.

Call me a hoarder.