Random Facts

DS

Fenderbender
A random fact is, that I'm not a bad "dandelion" as some people may think on this site.
:)
Klein,I really meant no harm with my dandelion comment.
You seem to have a way of getting under peoples skin.
And like a dandelion,they cut you down and the next day you're back!
You seem to have a knack for making money,maybe it is your effervescent personality
that presents the possibilities that open in your world.Either way,your opinions are welcome and
try not to be too sensitive when people seem mean.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I ordered a book from Amazon for a friend. I had it sent directly to him. In tracing it (USPS-SA) it said out for delivry in his town. Days passed and it wasn't like my friend not to mention that he received a gift from me......so I had to e-mail and ask.

He said he received nothing.

I e-mailed Amazon. Their attention was super fast. They re-created the shipment, only this time it was next day by UPS. I let the Amazon folks know that they should've used UPS in the first place.....and thanked them for their quick action.

The actual purpose for which I sent the book had passed during the mess up....but, oh well, he will still like it.

texan

My big old one speed tank Schwinn that I later delivered newpapers with.

Put all types of cards and moms wood clothes pins on to make noise.

1967-schwinn-speedster-deluxe.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
We Americans have dreamed up some of the best foods on earth......
Born in the USA:

Corn Dogs ...... Portland OR.
Fried Clams ..... Massachusetts
Granola .......... created during the civil war
Cobb Salad ........ Brown Derby in Hollywood
California Dip ....... onion dip in Southern Clifornia
Ice Cream Cone .... St. Louis fairgrounds (1904)
Whoopie Pies ........ Roxbury, Mass. 1927
Hamburgers ........ Erie County Fair.....1885 Western N.Y.
Chili Dogs .... ...1920 Northern N.J.
Saltwater Tafy ....... early 1880's Atlantic City, N.J.
Muffulettas ...... 1906 New Orleans
Chimichangas ........ Mid 20th century, Tucson

Are we great, or what ? !!!

DS

Fenderbender
We Americans have dreamed up some of the best foods on earth......
Born in the USA:

Corn Dogs ...... Portland OR. YUCK!
Fried Clams ..... Massachusetts YUCK!
Granola .......... created during the civil war OK
Cobb Salad ........ Brown Derby in Hollywood ?
California Dip ....... onion dip in Southern Clifornia OK
Ice Cream Cone .... St. Louis fairgrounds (1904) NICE!
Whoopie Pies ........ Roxbury, Mass. 1927 ?
Hamburgers ........ Erie County Fair.....1885 Western N.Y. THANK YOU!
Chili Dogs .... ...1920 Northern N.J. NICE!
Saltwater Tafy ....... early 1880's Atlantic City, N.J. OK
Muffulettas ...... 1906 New Orleans ?
Chimichangas ........ Mid 20th century, Tucson ?

Are we great, or what ? !!!

klein

Für Meno :)
I would claim the US modified the hamburger, it originally did come from Germany , same as the hotdog (from "Frankfurters")

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would claim the US modified the hamburger, it originally did come from Germany , same as the hotdog (from "Frankfurters")

The Menches brothers ran out of pork patties at their sandwich stand at 1885 Errie County Fai...they substituted beef.

It is said also that Charlie Nagreen decided to flatten a meatball and put it on bread at another fair that same year.

Fletcher Davis is said to have made a splash at the St Louis World Fair of 1904 by serving ground beef on bread.

The explanation we like best - because you can still go there and taste it - revolves around what is now a brick shack in New Haven, Conn. called Louis' Lunch. Back in 1900, food vendor Louis Lassen made use of leftover steak trimmings by forming them into beef patties which he then cooked and put between slices of toast.
From Parade Magazine.

1885 - Charlie Nagreen of Seymour, Wisconsin, at the age of 15, sold hamburgers from his ox-drawn food stand at the Outagamie County Fair. He went to the Outagamie County Fair and set up a stand selling meatballs. Business wasn't good and he quickly realized that it was because meatballs were too difficult to eat while strolling around the fair. In a flash of innovation, he flattened the meatballs, placed them between two slices of bread and called his new creation a hamburger. He was known to many as "Hamburger Charlie." He returned to sell hamburgers at the fair every year until his death in 1951, and he would entertain people with guitar and mouth organ and his jingle:
Hamburgers, hamburgers, hamburgers hot; onions in the middle, pickle on top. Makes your lips go flippity flop.
The town of Seymour, Wisconsin is so certain about this claim that they even have a Hamburger Hall of Fame that they built as a tribute to Charlie Nagreen and the legacy he left behind. The town claims to be "Home of the Hamburger" and holds an annual Burger Festival on the first Saturday of August each year. Events include a ketchup slide, bun toss, and hamburger-eating contest, as well as the "world's largest hamburger parade." On May 9, 2007, members of the Wisconsin legislature declared Seymour, Wisconsin, as the home of the hamburger:
Whereas, Seymour, Wisconsin, is the right home of the hamburger; and,
Whereas, other accounts of the origination of the hamburger trace back only so far as the 1880s, while Seymour’s claim can be traced to 1885; and,
Whereas, Charles Nagreen, also known as Hamburger Charlie, of Seymour, Wisconsin, began calling ground beef patties in a bun “hamburgers” in 1885; and,
Whereas, Hamburger Charlie first sold his world-famous hamburgers at age 15 at the first Seymour Fair in 1885, and later at the Brown and Outagamie county fairs; and,
Whereas, Hamburger Charlie employed as many as eight people at his famous hamburger tent, selling 150 pounds of hamburgers on some days; and,
Whereas, the hamburger has since become an American classic, enjoyed by families and backyard grills alike; now, therefore, be it
Resolved by the assembly, the senate concurring, That the members of the Wisconsin legislature declare Seymour, Wisconsin, the Original Home of the Hamburger.

Where's your story?

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Credit for putting the hot dog into a warm bun and topping it with various condiments goes to Harry Magely, catering director of New York City's Polo Grounds, who reportedly instructed his vendors to cry out, "Red hots! Get your red hots!" '

Also credited for the idea of warm buns is Charles Feltman, of Feltman's Gardens in Coney Island amusement park.

In 1906, cartoonist Ted Dorgan couldn’t spell dachshund, so he simply named his drawing of a dog on a bun covered in mustard a hot dog, and it’s been called that ever since.
That’s why a wiener on a bun called a “hot dog”.

"The idea of a hot dog on a bun is ascribed to the wife of a German named Antonoine Feuchtwanger, who sold hot dogs on the streets of St. Louis, Missouri, United States, in 1880, because his customers kept taking the white gloves handed to them for eating without burning their hands.[SUP][7[/SUP]

klein

Für Meno :)
Where's your story?

Hamburg Steak

In the late eighteenth century, the largest ports in Europe were in Germany. Sailors who had visited the ports of Hamburg, Germany and New York, brought this food and term "Hamburg Steak" into popular usage. To attract German sailors, eating stands along the New York city harbor offered "steak cooked in the Hamburg style."

Immigrants to the United States from German-speaking countries brought with them some of their favorite foods. One of them was Hamburg Steak. The Germans simply flavored shredded low-grade beef with regional spices, and both cooked and raw it became a standard meal among the poorer classes. In the seaport town of Hamburg, it acquired the name Hamburg steak. Today, this hamburger patty is no longer called Hamburg Steak in Germany but rather "Frikadelle," "Frikandelle" or "Bulette," orginally Italian and French words.

According to Theodora Fitzgibbon in her book The Food of the Western World - An Encyclopedia of food from North American and Europe:
The originated on the German Hamburg-Amerika line boats, which brought emigrants to America in the 1850s. There was at that time a famous Hamburg beef which was salted and sometimes slightly smoked, and therefore ideal for keeping on a long sea voyage. As it was hard, it was minced and sometimes stretched with soaked breadcrumbs and chopped onion. It was popular with the Jewish emigrants, who continued to make Hamburg steaks, as the patties were then called, with fresh meat when they settled in the U.S.

The Origin of Hamburgers and Ketchup, by Prof. Giovanni Ballarini:
The origin of the hamburger is not very clear, but the prevailing version is that at the end of 1800' s, European emigrants reached America on the ships of the Hamburg Lines and were served meat patties quickly cooked on the grill and placed between two pieces of bread.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hamburg Steak

In the late eighteenth century, the largest ports in Europe were in Germany. Sailors who had visited the ports of Hamburg, Germany and New York, brought this food and term "Hamburg Steak" into popular usage. To attract German sailors, eating stands along the New York city harbor offered "steak cooked in the Hamburg style."

Immigrants to the United States from German-speaking countries brought with them some of their favorite foods. One of them was Hamburg Steak. The Germans simply flavored shredded low-grade beef with regional spices, and both cooked and raw it became a standard meal among the poorer classes. In the seaport town of Hamburg, it acquired the name Hamburg steak. Today, this hamburger patty is no longer called Hamburg Steak in Germany but rather "Frikadelle," "Frikandelle" or "Bulette," orginally Italian and French words.

According to Theodora Fitzgibbon in her book The Food of the Western World - An Encyclopedia of food from North American and Europe:
The originated on the German Hamburg-Amerika line boats, which brought emigrants to America in the 1850s. There was at that time a famous Hamburg beef which was salted and sometimes slightly smoked, and therefore ideal for keeping on a long sea voyage. As it was hard, it was minced and sometimes stretched with soaked breadcrumbs and chopped onion. It was popular with the Jewish emigrants, who continued to make Hamburg steaks, as the patties were then called, with fresh meat when they settled in the U.S.

The Origin of Hamburgers and Ketchup, by Prof. Giovanni Ballarini:
The origin of the hamburger is not very clear, but the prevailing version is that at the end of 1800' s, European emigrants reached America on the ships of the Hamburg Lines and were served meat patties quickly cooked on the grill and placed between two pieces of bread.

The discussion was about hamburgers. Hamburgers have bread. The hamburg steak may be part of it but it is NOT the whole HAMBUGER.

moreluck

golden ticket member
March 21st was a really good day !!!

Originally Posted by UpstateNYUPSer This will be my last post on Brown Cafe. Dave.

moreluck, you need to get a life. You are the primary reason I will no longer be a member here. You are dominating a forum to the detriment of the forum. You need to back off and let others participate. Dave.

Hoke, don't ever lose your sarcastic wit.

texan

Americans consumed 20 billion hot dogs in 2000. The 7 billion eaten just during the summer months are enough
to stretch from Chicago (the hot dog capital of the universe) to Frankfurt, Germany (where it all began) 125 times.