Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King

El Correcto

god is dead
Burning more Notre Dame...

James Curry, president of the American Humanist Association, said in 1969, "Humanism is a polite term for atheism." Corliss Lamont wrote, "Humanism believes in a naturalistic metaphysics that considers all forms of supernaturalism a myth. Humanism is the viewpoint that men have but one life to live and that human happiness is its own justification and needs no sanction or support from supernatural sources: that, in any case: the supernatural does not exist (The Philosophy of Humanism).

Since @Box Ox , @It will be fine , @BrownArmy , @MrFedEx (no one knows what @DriveInDriveOut believes) believe there is no God, they would have to agree the following is true:
The Humanist Manifesto states: "Religion humanists regard the universe as self-existing and not created. Humanism believes that man is a part of nature and that he has emerged as the result of a continuous process. Holding an organic view of life, humanists find that the traditional dualism of mind and body must be rejected."

All this proves is it's impossible to separate one's concept of origin and destiny from a concept of duty and morality.

"We affirm that moral values derive their source from human experience. Ethics is autonomous and situational, needing no theological or ideological sanction. Ethics stems from human need and interest. To deny this distorts the whole basis of life. Human life has meaning because we create and develop our futures * Happiness and creative realization of human needs and desires, individually and in shared enjoyment, are continuous themes of humanism. We strive for the good life, here and now" (Humanist Manifesto II).

If there is no standard of right or wrong there can be moral absolutes. Every moral judgment is subjective.
Think about it. If moral truth is individual and subjective, rather than objective, how can one be wrong about anything?

Humanism says, "If there is no morality laid up in heaven, by what yardstick will we measure earthly moralities? The answer, of course, is that we should use the same yardstick we use to evaluate any other human artifact: satisfaction of our needs" (Humanist Ethics, p. 138).

No doubt a clear contrast between Christianity and humanism. One system is based upon belief in God who has revealed the principles by which man is to conduct himself for a successful life here and eternal life hereafter. The other system is subjective, intuitive, hedonistic, and allows every man to become a law unto himself.
Besides scripture and the laws of the universe and nature, I think the the argument of morality is hard to get past in believing there is not a God.
62DCD993-261F-43F6-8DE3-42FA14A5E9A3.jpeg

Evolution of morality - Wikipedia

BrownArmy

Which part and why?
What's yours?
So. Nobody is addressing anything that they are in disagreement with. You can't answer it.

That's it? Best personal attack. Doesn't sound like the other thread.
I'll go with you being you is attack, run your mouth, then run.

Why is it so important for you to define the nature of my non-belief?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Why is it so important for you to define the nature of my non-belief?
Nothing about you is "so"important to me.
The nature of your non belief has been defined .
It is full of holes and doesn't hold up. It brings you to conclusions that you either don't want to accept or cannot defend or both.
For me, if I believe something, there are facts, logic, and reason behind it so I can back my position or know something that is not possible.
But , thats just me. Obviously, not you.

BrownArmy

Nothing about you is "so"important to me.
The nature of your non belief has been defined .
It is full of holes and doesn't hold up. It brings you to conclusions that you either don't want to accept or cannot defend or both.
For me, if I believe something, there are facts, logic, and reason behind it so I can back my position or know something that is not possible.
But , thats just me. Obviously, not you.

Wrong, lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.