Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Okay. Galileo ran afoul of the church because he made fun of the church. Not because of his views on heliocentrism. One of his better friends till their falling out was the pope.

His dialogue had the guy arguing the churches position as “Simplicio”.
You call them simpletons, they’re gonna get mad.

He made it personal, so they hit back.
He proposed that church doctrine was wrong on this issue and he was correct.
Should someone be jailed for making fun of a church?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
He proposed that church doctrine was wrong on this issue and he was correct.
Should someone be jailed for making fun of a church?
Have you read his dialogue concerning the two chief world systems?

I have. Went through some of his geometric proofs, too. Man was a genius. Very clever proofs.
That said, he was absolutely a jerk towards the church about it. Made them sound like complete idiots, and was not at all fair in the dialogue. Again, he made it personal.

Should he have been jailed for it?
No. But people in positions of authority sometimes abuse that power.

You're just deflecting. You were making it sound like he was jailed for proposing heliocentrism, and that is just blatantly false.
He was jailed because he tried to make the officials within the church look like idiots.

newfie

as it should be

1671974043054.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
IMO Leftism is not a church. It is defined as the political views or policies of the left.

It's a civil religion that is espoused by people on the left. One definition of the word church is a body of believers. So leftists are literally a church, but you can also take what was said figuratively and accept that leftism is like a church in many ways.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's a civil religion that is espoused by people on the left. One definition of the word church is a body of believers. So leftists are literally a church, but you can also take what was said figuratively and accept that leftism is like a church in many ways.
IMO The terms leftist and leftism are political terms not religious terms. I don’t believe I have ever heard of a leftist or leftism based institutional religion or church.

Status
Not open for further replies.