Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost in the Darkness

Actually many want to keep a standard/moral code that has been in place for years. Its the liberal rot that wants immorality and let the filth become commonplace. Its not what we were made for. We were all born with a conscience. You ignore it long enough you become deaf to its warning. The devil knows his number of days are short. Wide is the gate, and many choose to stay and be on the wrong side of history that ends with a face to face judgement from God.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Actually many want to keep a standard/moral code that has been in place for years. Its the liberal rot that wants immorality and let the filth become commonplace. Its not what we were made for. We were all born with a conscience. You ignore it long enough you become deaf to its warning. The devil knows his number of days are short. Wide is the gate, and many choose to stay and be on the wrong side of history that ends with a face to face judgement from God.
You sound like some lunatic ranting on a street corner.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I seriously don’t get why non-believers have such a problem with people who believe in a God. Why does it offend them so?
Couldn’t agree more ... they are worse than Jehovah Witnesses trying to impose their beliefs on others.
Ones relationship with their Higher Power is no one else’s business IMO.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
My problem is when Christians want to impose their religion on everyone through legislation. I don't care if you have an imaginary friend, but he doesn't get to dictate access to healthcare.
Or vice versa when the secular government tries to impose its ‘immorality’ on it’s citizens.
That is probably the worse thing about the Dims & the Repugs.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
since religion has failed you miserably in the sense that you dont actually do anything besides talk about it, and also likely failed to understand the metaphors, you should take the message from other myths like star wars or lord of the rings and then take action
I thought Star Wars had a very uplifting and righteous mythology.
Christianity’s mythology is very compelling if you don’t take it as literal truth (after 1750 or so).
It was fine as literal until modern science came along.

rickyb

I thought Star Wars had a very uplifting and righteous mythology.
Christianity’s mythology is very compelling if you don’t take it as literal truth (after 1750 or so).
It was fine as literal until modern science came along.
joe campbell said we need to update our myths. so i think star wars and at least the first matrix did that (i think the myth in all 3 is good).

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I seriously don't get why "believers" have such a persecution complex. Why do they think everyone is out to get them?
they're jealous because they believe in nothing.
I think it is more complex than that.
Intolerance is a huge factor.
Another aspect is that spiritual/ religious people have many of their troubles off their backs and they are not stressed like atheists. They learn through their teachings to turn over things beyond their control to their Higher Power.

They learn to forget about the past and to no longer fear the future, instead living in the present as much as possible.
This was central to the teachings of Buddha and Jesus.

Just some thoughts on your posts.

It will be fine

Another aspect is that spiritual/ religious people have many of their troubles off their backs and they are not stressed like atheists. They learn through their teachings to turn over things beyond their control to their Higher Power.

They learn to forget about the past and to no longer fear the future, instead living in the present as much as possible.

The Buddha taught that through discipline and meditation. Christ just demands worship. I consider myself neither spiritual nor religious but practice meditation which provides similar results to what you describe, no higher power needed.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Just a personal observation.

I try my very best not to be intolerant.

I am not a spiritual/religious person, nor am I truly an atheist.

The only true stress I have now is caring for a dying person in my home, and worrying some about my sons and grandchildren (just the normal concerns].

I remember the past, and try to learn from it. I do not fear the future.

I think I'd make a pretty good Buddhist.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It’s a good question. Nobody passes laws where people MUST have abortions or MUST commit suicide.
Atheists have exactly zero power to pass laws in this country. Every law on the books, whether state or federal was written by a christian controlled legislature, signed by a christian chief executive, and ruled on by a christian controlled judiciary. The notion that atheists have the ability to force anyone to follow their beliefs (or lack there of) is laughable.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The Buddha taught that through discipline and meditation. Christ just demands worship. I consider myself neither spiritual nor religious but practice meditation which provides similar results to what you describe, no higher power needed.
The only thing I would question is your assessment Christ.
That is religious dogma not a personal relationship.

vantexan

The funny thing about today's rejection of Jesus is that many on the Left don't realize that his teachings are often in line with their world view. Remember "turn the other cheek?" Often characterized as letting someone run over you. But saw a Catholic theologian explain it this way on tv. Romans would strike those they felt beneath them with their left hand. By turning the other cheek towards the one striking you they would be forced to use their right hand, an acknowledgement of equals.

There's other things too. The early church gave up their possessions and held things in common. We aren't told to do the same but it's interesting how things started out. Sounds like a philosophy we're all familiar with. Jesus said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter into heaven. Camel caravans were kept outside of city walls at night when gates were closed. The "eye of the needle" was a small door in the gate that a man could pass through but a camel couldn't.

Jesus's teachings were a direct challenge to the brutality of the times in the Roman empire. As Christianity spread it eventually got accepted by rulers who made it the state religion. It got co-opted by those in power, including the church hierarchy, as a way to control the masses and to amass wealth. What started as a beautiful movement, a pacifist rebellion against an evil empire, had itself become a symbol of tyranny and corruption by those who tend to rebel against such things.

The core message is still the best message on Earth. To love God and keep his commandments. The best life possible is found in doing that. Not forcing that on anyone, just pointing out if you want a good life don't lie, cheat, or steal. Don't murder. Don't abuse. Love your neighbor as yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Give, don't take. And as humans we fail, but can seek forgiveness and move on, trying harder.

I believe Jesus is the Son of God. Not because I was there to see his miracles. I didn't see him rise from the dead. But I see perfection in his teachings. And hope that those who rage against the machine will see that perfection too and find peace.

vantexan

Like some Muslims in the US?
No, Muslims in the U.S. aren't imprisoned for sharing their beliefs like Christians are in many Muslim countries. They have the right to build mosques and freely worship. A Christian in the U.S. who converts to Islam is free to do so. A Muslim who converts to Christianity in most Muslim countries can be executed for it and many have been. Not just by extreme fanatics like ISIS but as a matter of legal recourse in those countries. Not all Muslim countries are that strict, but there's really no comparison between the U.S. and Muslim countries when it comes to how people of different faiths are treated.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
No, Muslims in the U.S. aren't imprisoned for sharing their beliefs like Christians are in many Muslim countries. They have the right to build mosques and freely worship. A Christian in the U.S. who converts to Islam is free to do so. A Muslim who converts to Christianity in most Muslim countries can be executed for it and many have been. Not just by extreme fanatics like ISIS but as a matter of legal recourse in those countries. Not all Muslim countries are that strict, but there's really no comparison between the U.S. and Muslim countries when it comes to how people of different faiths are treated.
I guess the Sikh temple shootings and burning/bombing of Mosque's in the US are not persecution to you?

Hypocrite!

vantexan

I guess the Sikh temple shootings and burning/bombing of Mosque's in the US are not persecution to you?

Hypocrite!
Sikhs aren't Muslims, you mentioned Muslims. And of course any persecution is wrong. But you're trying to equate the random few acts of terror with state sponsored persecution of minority religions. Absolutely no comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.