Retired employees working as casuals.

I know they have some type. I have never used it. I believe they made changes where you can roll unused money to the next year.
I was just listening to something on the radio about that a little while back. It sure would be nice if you could save a little over the years, tax free and use it in retirement

Too late for us old. friend*

vantexan

I don't feel like income is the problem for people with 25 years of traditional and 12 or so in portable. The retiree insurance is the problem. If a person retired at 55, he is looking at 10 years of very high monthly premiums.
But very few are in your situation. 55 year olds have their traditional pension reduced by 15%, more if they take another option like guaranteed percentage for their spouse after they die. Pretty difficult to live on 1800 a month or less unless their spouse has a good job.

Oldfart

But very few are in your situation. 55 year olds have their traditional pension reduced by 15%, more if they take another option like guaranteed percentage for their spouse after they die. Pretty difficult to live on 1800 a month or less unless their spouse has a good job.
Who thinks they can live on their pension?. My 401k is the basis of my retirement. My pension is I believe 55% of my salary 13 years ago. It will supplement my 401k. Start young, make sacrifices and your 401k can grow into some large numbers.

vantexan

Who thinks they can live on their pension?. My 401k is the basis of my retirement. My pension is I believe 55% of my salary 13 years ago. It will supplement my 401k. Start young, make sacrifices and your 401k can grow into some large numbers.
Certainly. Helps if you get paid enough to contribute.

Oldfart

You would cry complain and whine no matter what they paid you and still only contribute a SMALL amount. If a person can't contribute $100 a month when he is just starting out and increase his contribution as time goes on, he needs to revisit his finances.

bacha29

You would cry complain and whine no matter what they paid you and still only contribute a SMALL amount. If a person can't contribute $100 a month when he is just starting out and increase his contribution as time goes on, he needs to revisit his finances.
You're point is well taken but you're missing an important historical event.You and I lived during a time of historically HIGH interest rates. We came to respect if not fear those interest rates. If you were on the saving side of the equation you did great but if you were on the other side God help you. That interest rate just ate you up. Today with interest rates and savings rates at historic LOWS the younger generation who want it all right now don't fear the power of compound interest anywhere close to the extent you and I do . As a result they seem quite willing to roll the dice and trade off the need to begin yesterday to save for retirement for the things they want now. If they're confidant they they will have both the health to work to "full" retirement age of what will likely be age 70 and the job skills to prosper in the economy of 2047 then stop worrying about them.

vantexan

Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby you're the best

vantexan

MassWineGuy

I just noticed this was a FedEx sub forum. Is FedEx as bad as ups as far as to how they mistreat their employees? If it is I would rather go down on satin then return after I retire.

It's Satan, btw. No. In general, I think FedEx treats people much better than UPS does. The presence of the union creates antagonism between management and drivers.

BootsOnTarmac

I advise those young and starting out to contribute into the 401k until it hurts. The tax advantage, matching contribution and "Time value of money" will eventually beat all but the most severe of market downfalls.

The 401K is YOUR money and the match is also yours after being vested.

You have many options for investment, loan capability, hardship, and removal for a new home.