Strike 2023

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So if the company calculates that holding out can mean long term benefits, they could break the union. How many guys are living paycheck to paycheck?

We wouldn't have to outlast the company, which wouldn't take long anyway, just outlast the stock drop and the board of directors being replaced or them replacing management.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Back during the '97 strike, there was a church about 1/4 mile down the street from our building. They were sympathetic to our cause, and allowed strikers to park on their parking lot, which pissed the company off. The road my old building is on has no shoulders, and steep ditches. Members would use their own vehicles to shuttle folks back and forth to the picket line. The area across the street from the building entrance was a vacant lot, but had weeds about 5-6' tall. Members would go over there to relieve themselves. UPS didn't own the lot, but offered to mow it for free, just to make it harder for us. An automotive supervisor brought his tractor up there and mowed it. The union brought in port a potties and put them on the right of way next to the road. UPS called the police and said they were a sight hazard to scabs leaving our building, so we had to relocate them. Customers came by constantly, bringing food, water, ice and other goods. I'll be up there supporting the members in any way I can.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
We wouldn't have to outlast the company, which wouldn't take long anyway, just outlast the stock drop and the board of directors being replaced or them replacing management.
I don't know, if the board were to put out a detailed plan to shareholders - like "we intend to do everything in our power to break the union, which will result in a 6-12 month period of reduced returns. But doing so will long-term slash our operation costs by (insert large percentage) through wage and benefit reduction. Therefore in 18 months or so out returns will far exceed any previously paid out. " Smart investors would have little problem with this as smart investors buy and hold large cap stocks. Now perhaps if large funds(like say a teacher union etc) is invested heavily they would push back on it.
That's one thing about being in our positions as labor, we think we know how things work, but the truth is we don't see the information, the projections and all that type of data that drives decisions at high levels. It is fun to debate about it though.

I don't know, if the board were to put out a detailed plan to shareholders - like "we intend to do everything in our power to break the union, which will result in a 6-12 month period of reduced returns. But doing so will long-term slash our operation costs by (insert large percentage) through wage and benefit reduction. Therefore in 18 months or so out returns will far exceed any previously paid out. " Smart investors would have little problem with this as smart investors buy and hold large cap stocks. Now perhaps if large funds(like say a teacher union etc) is invested heavily they would push back on it.
That's one thing about being in our positions as labor, we think we know how things work, but the truth is we don't see the information, the projections and all that type of data that drives decisions at high levels. It is fun to debate about it though.
I think the company hung themselves by raising their dividend is high they did

kforte36

I think the company hung themselves by raising their dividend is high they did
That's a fair point. The company won't willingly give drivers higher wages without a strike. O'Brien may advocate for us but can only do so much. Especially with inflation and a potential recession in the near future, it is pretty much impossible for us to get hogher wages. This past Saturday in the building I am in the there were center managers and almost all on road supervisors were working as drivers to reduce overtime on Monday and gave drivers who came in last minute $50 gift cards.

kforte36

That's a fair point. The company won't willingly give drivers higher wages without a strike. O'Brien may advocate for us but can only do so much. Especially with inflation and a potential recession in the near future, it is pretty much impossible for us to get hogher wages. This past Saturday in the building I am in the there were center managers and almost all on road supervisors were working as drivers to reduce overtime on Monday and gave drivers who came in last minute $50 gift cards.
Higher* not hogher

File
Get lots of extra free cash in your paycheck