Strike in August, what say you?

35years

Gravy route
I could see the Company letting us walk. This could be that backbreaker to officially break the Union. If you look at all the technology they have since 1997, it sure looks like they have tuned up the Brown Machine just in case. Our industry leading wages could also put members in a bind if we were locked out for a week. I could see a lot of full-time employees not being able to sit out more than one week. We'll have to wait and see, but I don't exactly have the faith I had in 1997 in my Union brothers and sisters. This is a different workforce altogether.
Company can't afford a strike as much as it could in 1997 either.

Now we are a pubic company and the stock would dive and not recover fully for years...Not true in 1997.

We have real country wide competition now in Fed-Ex that offers all of our services...Not true in 1997.

A strike is too costly for UPS...Billions. I could see them trying to replace us in 1997 (if they had been prepared) but in today's reality they can't disappoint Wall Street.

There is no waiting out a 3 week strike anymore. The competition would absolutely gobble up our best accounts since they now offer everything UPS does. It is all or nothing...permanent replacements or no strike at all.

UPS1982

Say a strike does occur in August, what percent of the union workforce would be permanently laid off once the strike was over? I would think between 40 and 60 percent depending on how quick the competition could absorb the volume.

35years

Gravy route
Say a strike does occur in August, what percent of the union workforce would be permanently laid off once the strike was over? I would think between 40 and 60 percent depending on how quick the competition could absorb the volume.
None permanently (full timers). But it would probably take years for us to fully recover the lost volume. Full timers would have to bump in to the building and displace 2 part timers. The laid off part timers would likely find other work outside of UPS.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Maybe other parts of the country should be in the West also. Starting with states that are already in.

The last pension presentation we had at our local, they mentioned they were expanding like this. Might talk to your locals about trying to get the western penion trust to take over your pensions. I have no idea what the process is, but it has happened/is happening.

brown_trousers

The last pension presentation we had at our local, they mentioned they were expanding like this. Might talk to your locals about trying to get the western penion trust to take over your pensions. I have no idea what the process is, but it has happened/is happening.

I dont think we want to take over your pension... sorry

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I dont think we want to take over your pension... sorry

I'm in the western conference. I don't remember what area they were taking on, or even if it was UPS specifically, maybe a different company, but I want to say it was from some area in the south east. The presenter mentioned they were entertaining other applications, and they have certain critera new applicants must meet in order for the trust to be willing to take them on.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Back to the actual thread topic:

I reach top scale in August, after over a decade with the company. It would be just my luck that we strike, and the company succeeds at busting the union and we're all out on our :censored3:.

Though I could easily whether a 6 month strike if needed. To all who don't have one, you need to build up an emergency fund. Take control.

Brown Down

I fully agree on building a strike fund. We've been saving up and even put most of our tax return back for it. Better safe than sorry.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Back to the actual thread topic:

I reach top scale in August, after over a decade with the company. It would be just my luck that we strike, and the company succeeds at busting the union and we're all out on our :censored3:.

It just ain't going to happen...One thing UPS will not want to become is poster child to America of a corporation who went bad. Not after Trump being elected running on a populist working man campaign, winning and then given Corporate America a nice Tax gift. Add that to Bernie's legion of liberals getting involved with their message of corporate greed and elitist executives entitlement packages.

If it happens it will be the biggest news event of the year, most of you who were around during the l997 (two week) one can remember we were on the news everyday and that was over twenty years ago. Mass Media will have a field day with this one.

Also if replacement workers were to be used the feds would start snooping around corporate's (the Business of doing Business) and start finding all kinds of skeletons on the closets. Let alone UPS and America is not the same as it was in l997, it was unthinkable to try to replace us in l997, it would be destroy the company if it did it now. The Teamsters will still be there if that event happens and take apart every asset that can be taken from those who made the decision.

So..Chose Wisely..

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

Company can't afford a strike as much as it could in 1997 either.

Now we are a pubic company and the stock would dive and not recover fully for years...Not true in 1997.

We have real country wide competition now in Fed-Ex that offers all of our services...Not true in 1997.

A strike is too costly for UPS...Billions. I could see them trying to replace us in 1997 (if they had been prepared) but in today's reality they can't disappoint Wall Street.

There is no waiting out a 3 week strike anymore. The competition would absolutely gobble up our best accounts since they now offer everything UPS does. It is all or nothing...permanent replacements or no strike at all.
The customers remember. The company will not recover. You are spot on. Watch the pensions drain even faster if a strike occurs. I wonder how many in Central States are bailing before 07-31-18.

I'm in the western conference. I don't remember what area they were taking on, or even if it was UPS specifically, maybe a different company, but I want to say it was from some area in the south east. The presenter mentioned they were entertaining other applications, and they have certain critera new applicants must meet in order for the trust to be willing to take them on.
Maybe it’s time to extend transfers to those new 15 or so states in the plan.

PT Car Washer

The customers remember. The company will not recover. You are spot on. Watch the pensions drain even faster if a strike occurs. I wonder how many in Central States are bailing before 07-31-18.
None that I know of. Some of us are sticking around just to vote no and see what happens. Worse case scenario, I just retire and make the same money or more.

rudy5150

That’s exactly what they would do

What type of raise? The current part timers will vote no if new hires start at $15 and the current part timers dont get an immediate $3-4 raise. The truth is nobody really cares what the new hires start at, but i do believe they should jump in pay say up to $16-18 an hour after a few years of service.

OrionsBitch

Not...
LOL....greed is what ruins Unions...ppl who bitch about not making enough and the work environment need to suck it up. There is t anything worth striking over.

Average salary for Bachelor's degree is 61k
Average salary for Masters degree is 78k
Average Salary for UPS driver is 80k

Plus we have good benefits and in general get a ton! A TON more paid days off.

Not to mention, it's difficult to lose your job and the job itself is simple.

We get 1hr breaks. And weekends off.

Everyone j know who works office jobs works late too. And they often get called in on weekends etc. Plus they are salary.

Yeah, I have some stuff I bitch about too but it isn't anything I would strike about.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
LOL....greed is what ruins Unions...ppl who bitch about not making enough and the work environment need to suck it up. There is t anything worth striking over.

Everyone j know who works office jobs works late too. And they often get called in on weekends etc. Plus they are salary.

Yeah, I have some stuff I bitch about too but it isn't anything I would strike about.

Weekends off is on the chopping block. I don't care much about that, but I will vote no on split days off.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

P*

How many professionals. Carry a 140 pound package up 20 steps in the snow?