Strike in August, what say you?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If you guys do strike, it's gonna be one big clusterf*** at both FedEx Ground and Express. Neither one will hire any extra help and there will be plenty of undelivered packages every day. The Ground drivers on straight salary who don't make any overtime aren't gonna bust their asses anymore than they do now. And would you blame them? Contractors better suit up in uniform.

Could be interesting. Glad I'm retired and away from all that crap.

F

Frankie's Friend

LOL....greed is what ruins Unions...ppl who bitch about not making enough and the work environment need to suck it up. There is t anything worth striking over.

Average salary for Bachelor's degree is 61k
Average salary for Masters degree is 78k
Average time to work up to a full time driving job at ups has been 5-10 yrs with the first yr (if you work 40 hrs a wk every week for the whole year = $39,000.00.
You are talking salary only.

Now refigure your math dude.

F

Frankie's Friend

Not to mention, it's difficult to lose your job and the job itself is simple.
Uh, thats why so many drivers (and other hourly) are out of service plus if the job was "simple" as you describe it then why cant supes drive a PC or feeder tractor and do the job using the "methods" they preach.
You sure youre not anyone elses B besides orion dude?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
this thread is a lot of paranoia

without getting into too many details let’s just say the company has adopted a strategic direction this year that IMO is pretty dumb

they handed the reins off to not-IE, contrary to popular opinion on this site, this is not a good idea

Box Ox

without getting into too many details let’s just say the company has adopted a strategic direction this year that IMO is pretty dumb

they handed the reins off to not-IE, contrary to popular opinion on this site, this is not a good idea

Step 1: BCers let the Union know the Company has IE on the run. We’ve got an IE informant.

Step 2: Union negotiators tell the Company it knows IE is on the run and nothing will save it from itself but a good contract.

Step 3: Strike averted

rod

Retired 23 years
I cut an quarter page size help wanted ad out of the Minneapolis paper today. The CN Rail Road (yes the Canadian National RR has many miles of track in the US) is begging for help. $48.20 an hour with a $10,000 signing bonus--hired on the spot. Paid training. If I was a young pup looking to improve my lot I would be checking that out. See --- UPS isn't the only game in town

35years

Gravy route
My cousin worked for the Railroad.
Long since retired...young.
I heard they have a great pension and you roll your accumulated Social Security into the Railroad parallel plan.

Anyways, I know he made far more than me and has a sweet pension.

For me all that matters is what happens to my pension. But I tell you I will gladly strike to get better conditions for the up and coming drivers. Especially controlling hours.

Last edited:

YUOVER95

3-6 drivers are going home? Come to my Center, we’re hurting for drivers because management never replaced the drivers that went to Feeders now we’re in vacation season. Now they’re forcing 6 day work weeks on Tuesday through Saturday drivers (that solves all the problems). Last driver that gained Senority was back in September.

35years

Gravy route
When they short staff it is time to get 3/4 of the Center on the 9.5 list.
We did it and they were forced to hire 15 permanent drivers.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I fully agree on building a strike fund. We've been saving up and even put most of our tax return back for it. Better safe than sorry.

I believe that we do have a strike fund with the International. I do remember a raise of union dues to reinforce the fund many moons ago. What it pays out full time or part time I do not know, back in "97" it was about 47 dollars a week plus all the bread you can eat from the local. What would be interesting to see is how much the average part timer would receive compared to their take home pay, it could affect their vote.

Any info on this from the learned base on this site would be informative?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Please start speaking (unionese) on this subject, I give up what is a (IMO) and IE has been a non-factor for decades. You are making my head hurt with those three letter phrases that the company eats up. Keep it simple get the package, transport the package safely and deliver the package to the right person, easy as pie.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Please start speaking (unionese) on this subject, I give up what is a (IMO) and IE has been a non-factor for decades. You are making my head hurt with those three letter phrases that the company eats up. Keep it simple get the package, transport the package safely and deliver the package to the right person, easy as pie.
In My Opinion

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
LOL....greed is what ruins Unions...ppl who bitch about not making enough and the work environment need to suck it up. There is t anything worth striking over.

Average salary for Bachelor's degree is 61k
Average salary for Masters degree is 78k
Average Salary for UPS driver is 80k

Plus we have good benefits and in general get a ton! A TON more paid days off.

Not to mention, it's difficult to lose your job and the job itself is simple.

We get 1hr breaks. And weekends off.

Everyone j know who works office jobs works late too. And they often get called in on weekends etc. Plus they are salary.

Yeah, I have some stuff I bitch about too but it isn't anything I would strike about.
I make 100k a year and I’d have no issue with a strike. If you want to eat what they give you, that’s your pill to swallow. But the benifits that you see today are a systemic result of past strikes or threats of.