Tentative Agreement

Inthegame

If the Teamsters control the health care thru UPS contribuitons, Will freeloaders who want union benefits but not union dues be denied the benefit of teamster health care? I hope so. They still have the right to work for UPS and get a " no dues.. no benefits for you"
Freeloaders will be covered by the union plan. Maybe that will show them the error of their ways.

UPS Preloader

Us Part timers need to unite and vote this TA down. Because truth be told, the way UPS and the union has this contract written up will divide the votes being YES from the drivers and NO from the FEW Ptimers that has been here for some time and will vote.

It'd be nice if as a *UNION* , the drivers and Part timers vote this down together as *brothers* until we are *ALL* satisfied but the sad reality is, drivers are happy and so screw what the ptimers want. So we have to stick together ptimers!.

NO to lower General Wage DECREASES from years before AFTER RECORD breaking PROFITS 2012, and 1st qtr 2013 and higher prospective earnings from online sales in the future.

No to a FOUR (4) year driving progression!!! After many of us have already been waiting over 5 years to even SNIFF a driving gig once we go to integrad we have to drive FOUR YEARS to get the same benefits the drivers of today only had to drive 2 and 3 years to get? NO NO NO!!!!

I'm fortunate to be in a building where most of the part timers have been there for years and most, if not all vote. How do you propose getting the younger, short term part timers to vote. I know we can ask all the part timers on this forum to spread the word, but getting the votes is another story. Not that we can guarantee anything, but if they're asked to vote no in an attempt to get them more money maybe some of them would vote.

browned out

Freeloaders will be covered by the union plan. Maybe that will show them the error of their ways.

I don't know about that. If you are not forced to join the teamsters who now provide the benefits but you still have the "right to work" for UPS; You will not be a member of the union and therefore not be entitled to the benefits. Maybe????

HubBub

I'm fortunate to be in a building where most of the part timers have been there for years and most, if not all vote. How do you propose getting the younger, short term part timers to vote. I know we can ask all the part timers on this forum to spread the word, but getting the votes is another story. Not that we can guarantee anything, but if they're asked to vote no in an attempt to get them more money maybe some of them would vote.

Just tell them the offer isn't good, so if we reject it the company has to come up with something better. Mention possibly getting bigger/better raises. Pretty simple. You might have to nag some people and keep track of who has and hasn't voted. In my building, newer guys tend to listen to older guys, so they shouldn't be hard to sway. They aren't worried about losing business or striking so a "no" vote isn't a big deal to them.

tiredofhelping

People can say what they want but really I'm voting no for part timers. Starting pay had to be increased more.

Biggest thing though is 4 year progression. I don't think most current full timers understand the longer we let progression go out to the bigger the target on drivers backs that make full scale.[/QUOTE]

That makes two of us.

Moneythehardway

Some may be weary of simply taking our 'word' for it on what to vote for and why. So we will need to print out a facts sheet pointing out the discretions towards us part timer who've exhausted our normal wage progression and most definitely point out the lengthier driving progression that we will suffer if this passes.

Hand these out to Ptimers -outside- of UPS property and quickly explain why us part timers have to vote NO for a better contract for US and why there will be resistence from full timers (because they made out pretty good and we didnt) so they'll already know what to expect.

We're not asking for much, we just want our fair share of the pie and as a union our 'big brothers' should understand us and stand behind us.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
For your information, those are cherry pastry flakes sprinkled with Starbucks coffee.
That's just here on Brown Cafe.
The Rank and File are mostly sheeple who vote however their steward and BA say to vote.

BA - "This is a good contract and everyone should vote for it!"
Driver - "Oh, OK." as he wipes the donut crumbs from his lips.

DiligentUPSer

From the date the tentative agreement was reached until today when the details were released, I stood on the fence waiting for the details of the contract and health insurance to come out in full before leaning toward a "yes" or "no" decision. I did not want to jump to any conclusions without all the details. Now that I've seen both, this has to be a NO for me. I did not care much for the contract when I read it Tuesday afternoon. UPS had their way in these negotiations and appear to have been better prepared. Even the bragging points for the union all turn out being cost effective for UPS. As a nearly 9 year part-timer, and even considering the 4 year progression and all these other small concessions, I would have been a borderline yes on the contract IF the health insurance was identical to what we currently have -- it isn't.

Now I read the health care plan, and while it's somewhat close to our current health insurance, it has even more concessions:
- Increasing deductibles every year of the contract compared to never having any deductibles previously
- Only 80% covered on diagnostics, compared to 90% in the current contract and 100% in the contract before that.
- much higher prescription costs
- Co-payments on eye exams and what appears to be reduced overall coverage on the vision plan

The overall compensation package is fine for now compared to other jobs, but what does the future look like if we keep giving out concessions every contract? Once you give them out, you don't get them back. This doesn't bode well for UPSers in the distant future.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
From the date the tentative agreement was reached until today when the details were released, I stood on the fence waiting for the details of the contract and health insurance to come out in full before leaning toward a "yes" or "no" decision. I did not want to jump to any conclusions without all the details. Now that I've seen both, this has to be a NO for me. I did not care much for the contract when I read it Tuesday afternoon. UPS had their way in these negotiations and appear to have been better prepared. Even the bragging points for the union all turn out being cost effective for UPS. As a nearly 9 year part-timer, and even considering the 4 year progression and all these other small concessions, I would have been a borderline yes on the contract IF the health insurance was identical to what we currently have -- it isn't.

Now I read the health care plan, and while it's somewhat close to our current health insurance, it has even more concessions:
- Increasing deductibles every year of the contract compared to never having any deductibles previously
- Only 80% covered on diagnostics, compared to 90% in the current contract and 100% in the contract before that.
- much higher prescription costs
- Co-payments on eye exams and what appears to be reduced overall coverage on the vision plan

The overall compensation package is fine for now compared to other jobs, but what does the future look like if we keep giving out concessions every contract? Once you give them out, you don't get them back. This doesn't bode well for UPSers in the distant future.

This is only the begining. The changes to the health care plan have NOTHING to do with the affordable health care act and everything to do with a deal cut by Hoffa/Hall with UPS. We as employees of UPS and employers of the international brotherhood of teamsters should be outraged over this ridiculous offer.

The Teamsters work for us!

Clearly, this contract is loaded with concessions in almost every article. The Memorandums are just as weak and support the company's positions and not the employees.

The difference in health care plans is going to be whether you get "front loaded" or "backloaded" with costs. Front loading is paying upfront for the policy each week or month. Back loading is when no upfront costs are asked, and higher deductibles, co pays, participation percentages and money is taken out of our pockets and placed back into the pockets of UPS.

I have read some of the other threads where "some" on this board are taking the language lightly. They say, "oh dont worry about that", "it doesnt mean anything", but really, there is a reason certain sentences are in the contract.

Sentences DONT appear for no reason. Those are called Caveats.

These little qualifiers make the difference in meanings.

EVERY sentence has a purpose in the contract and when you read in the MOA on health and welfare , that the Teamsters Health care board can CHANGE benefits "AT WILL", you best believe thats what they are going to do. That sentence is structured that way for a reason.

Once this contract is ratified in this form NONE OF YOU will have the right to complain when things dont work out and youre paying 500 bucks a month for coverage for you and your family.

Peace

TOS

oldupsman

No matter how you cut it, no matter how big a raise you're getting, those with the UPS health care plan will now be paying
more because the Teamster plan is not as good. Even if you're still working and paying nothing per week you're still
getting less in way of coverage that will cost you more. Your kid falls down and breaks an arm, it will cost you more. You have a kid, it will cost
you more. No matter how you look at it there is a simple equation. Less coverage cost you more. UPS made 4 billion last year.
​Why should anything cost you more?

Inthegame

​Why should anything cost you more?
UPS asks the same question every contract. The answer is they want to make 5Bl next year and they'd prefer to keep much more of it than this contract will allow.
The RX, Dental and Vision coverage is marginally more expensive with the C-6 plan. But without co-premiums, which UPS was not moving away from, this is a less expensive plan overall.

oldupsman

Quite honestly, I would have rather kept my UPS plan at $495 a month than go into this Teamster plan at
$300 a month. I know that the UPS plan would have remained the same the next 5 years. Don't have the same
confidence in the Teamster plan. Now the Teamsters can do whatever they want whenever they want too. And they will.

The more I read, the more I investigate what was said at the rallies, the more I connect the dots....the more I am convinced we were all bamboozled into this union run healthcare. The plans for us all to go into a union plan was in motion long before hall supposedly walked away from the negotiation table.

They (UPS AND THE UNION) knew from the get go they would have a hard time selling the rank and file on the Union running the healthcare. They (UPS AND UNION) came up with a plan to scare everyone into thinking that WE could end up paying 30/60/90. Get everyone fired up and angry. This was to lighten the blow of a Union run healthcare plan. Then come back and say "we made progress, UPS has come down to 20/40/60 but that isn't good enough". Then come out with the "we have a great contract". Trying to give the impression that they fought a good fight and got us a great contract. All the while they got a lot of the rank and file to accept the healthcare issue as a "well, at least we aren't paying 30/60/90"

It was a plan, and not a well executed one at that!! They can blow me.
That pretty much sums it up for how I feel too,except the blow me part. You know,since I am a girl and all.

Inthegame

Quite honestly, I would have rather kept my UPS plan at $495 a month than go into this Teamster plan at
$300 a month. I know that the UPS plan would have remained the same the next 5 years. Don't have the same
confidence in the Teamster plan. Now the Teamsters can do whatever they want whenever they want too. And they will.
You must be refering to retiree coverage. Word was retiree coverage IF UPS kept the insurance would be very close to what was agreed. UPS is a for profit organization that cares nothing for retirees. When you leave, they forget you. You're a number, a costly number that they'd prefer to not sustain. The Teamsters are a not for profit organization that stays relevant by how they provide for all members, active or retired. Being a Teamster has allowed your standard of living to be above non-union or even other non-Teamsters as an active and will continue providing those bennys as a retiree.