Tentative Agreement

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Considering I've seen like 2 people say this is a good contract and they will vote yes. Compared to the 30 or more no's I've heard. I wouldn't say most bought it.

On here, yes.

Most of the drivers I work with are elated that they'll be earning nearly $100K in five years, alongside no-cost insurance.

Most of the Preloaders I work with... well, they'd rather talk about LeBron James & the upcoming football season -- they don't give two hoots about the contract, wouldn't bother to vote even if they could (most are RightToFreeLoad) but will still @*!$ and moan about their paycheck.

Interestingly, most of the recently hired Preloaders -- you know, the ones making $8.50 an hour (although everybody here starts at $9.50) -- are ecstatic about getting health insurance and think people are crazy to even complain about the possibility of paying $90/wk. Meanwhile, people on here will @U~! and moan about going from a Company to Teamster plan, even if it doesn't affect anything else.

Although note that 100% of our raise can be diverted into health care...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Considering I've seen like 2 people say this is a good contract and they will vote yes. Compared to the 30 or more no's I've heard. I wouldn't say most bought it.

That's just here on Brown Cafe.
The Rank and File are mostly sheeple who vote however their steward and BA say to vote.

BA - "This is a good contract and everyone should vote for it!"
Driver - "Oh, OK." as he wipes the donut crumbs from his lips.

UPS Preloader

So the "significant" increase in starting pay amounts to $0.50 increase without the 90 day raise. $0.63 increase over 4 years. Not quite significant. People hired this September will be making $12.50 in 2017.

I'm not really worried about the small part-time increases, but the 4 year driver progression is a killer. If you're not gonna make it better short term, at least help me out in the long term.

From a part-timers point of view I am not impressed with it. From what I see, a 4 year employee will only be making 63 cents more as compared to a 4 year employee from the last contract. In-addition, a 4 year employee will be making 5 cent LESS than I did at my 4 year mark, so in the long run this supposed substantial $1.50 increase not only results in the employee making less in the long run, but actually save UPS money on employees that stay there. If someone could verify my number’s I would appreciate it.

My Hire Date
Hire Date
8/2007
7/2/2008
7/2/2013
4 Year
4 Year
Progression
Progression
Raise
Wage
Rate
Rate
Starting Pay
N/A
$9.50
$9.50
$11.00
After 90 Days
$1.00
$10.50
$10.50
$11.00
End Year 1
$0.70
$11.20
$11.00
$11.50
End Year 2
$0.75
$11.95
$11.50
$12.00
End Year 3
$0.75
$12.70
$12.00
$13.00
End Year 4
$0.85
$13.55
$12.87
$13.50

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's just here on Brown Cafe.
The Rank and File are mostly sheeple who vote however their steward and BA say to vote.

BA - "This is a good contract and everyone should vote for it!"
Driver - "Oh, OK." as he wipes the donut crumbs from his lips.

How many of these types actually vote though?

The most frustrating part for me is exactly as you say. People will vote how they are told to vote. Read the contract and form an opinion people.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
From a part-timers point of view I am not impressed with it. From what I see, a 4 year employee will only be making 63 cents more as compared to a 4 year employee from the last contract. In-addition, a 4 year employee will be making 5 cent LESS than I did at my 4 year mark, so in the long run this supposed substantial $1.50 increase not only results in the employee making less in the long run, but actually save UPS money on employees that stay there. If someone could verify my number’s I would appreciate it.

The deceitful part is that you hired in shortly before the contract, and therefore received the general wage increases, which triumphed the progression wage increases.

But I agree that the new wage structure isn't impressive -- but a new hire will still be earning 50c more per hour than their counterparts did during the first two years of their employment a dollar during the third year & 63 cents in the fourth. How many PTers last much longer than that anyway?

Meanwhile, McD's & Walmart are still hiring at minimum wage in most places ($7.20), including New York City and Los Angeles, and FedEx Ground still tops out at $14 -- NO benefits -- after four years.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

The most frustrating part for me is exactly as you say. People will vote how they are told to vote. Read the contract and form an opinion people.

From a driver's perspective, what would you have liked to have seen in the contract? If I were FT, I'd eagerly vote yes -- it's much better than anything I would've hoped for previously.

SWORDFISH

I have to chime in again. Anyone read the language on excessive hours and harassment? I have to give a big thumbs down on that part also.

From a driver's perspective, what would you have liked to have seen in the contract? If I were FT, I'd eagerly vote yes -- it's much better than anything I would've hoped for previously.
MORE FULL TIME JOBS!! and not the 2000 article 22 crap jobs" they are giving us!"I guess we will all get a good tan in August.

UPS Preloader

But I agree that the new wage structure isn't impressive -- but a new hire will still be earning 50c more per hour than their counterparts did during the first two years of their employment a dollar during the third year & 63 cents in the fourth.

So a "Substantial" $1.50 raise nets a new hire $0.50-$.063. That's a joke!

Brownslave688

I would like a little more of a raise. I know been thru this 100 times. Was t really a deal breaker for me though.

Moving healthcare to the union is a deal breaker for me. Since I see either benefits decreasing or co pays increasing because the union "failed to see healthcare rising this much"

People can say what they want but really I'm voting no for part timers. Starting pay had to be increased more.

Biggest thing though is 4 year progression. I don't think most current full timers understand the longer we let progression go out to the bigger the target on drivers backs that make full scale.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I can understand why the PT employees are less than thrilled with the contract,and I hope they can see why the more senior drivers will be very happy with it.

If there are any Fulltime Employees unhappy with it, PLEASE show these details to employees of Delta Airlines,Kia,Walmart,USPS,FEDEX etc and see how they respond. I'll venture that these people would say our FT employees would be INSANE to reject it.

UPS_Brown

So as a Driver in Progression, I will Have 2 years in September, I will be getting screwed!! OK, I might get an extra 25 cents from year 2 to 3, but after 3 I go to $25 instead of top rate? That's BS!! I bust my ass just as hard as the rest, and know all but 4 routes in my center. With OT that's almost $16K a year! I vote NO!!!

Brownslave688

So as a Driver in Progression, I will Have 2 years in September, I will be getting screwed!! OK, I might get an extra 25 cents from year 2 to 3, but after 3 I go to $25 instead of top rate? That's BS!! I bust my ass just as hard as the rest, and know all but 4 routes in my center. With OT that's almost $16K a year! I vote NO!!!

Seriously?

You were hired under the current contact so that's your progression.

SWORDFISH

I can understand why the PT employees are less than thrilled with the contract,and I hope they can see why the more senior drivers will be very happy with it.

If there are any Fulltime Employees unhappy with it, PLEASE show these details to employees of Delta Airlines,Kia,Walmart,USPS,FEDEX etc and see how they respond. I'll venture that these people would say our FT employees would be INSANE to reject it.

Well I think we should then show Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant the same contract and see how they respond. Would they say the opposite of what you said? ;)