Tentative Agreement

For every one that is wondering about health care. The members that were under a company plan are going into CS expect local 177,California,washington,oregon,arizona,(not sure after this but I think I heard these states at the meeting new Mexico,Utah and Nevada). I could be wrong with those and I might be missing a state to, not sure. They will have till November 1st to look for a union plan for all 30,000 give or take members or if can't find one they will go into CS. All the members that are going into these plans do not have to pay any thing. Now for the retired. If you retire before jan 1st 2013 you have to pay $50 single and $100 family. After that and before jan 1st 2014 you will pay $100 single and $200 family. After that and before jan 1st 2015 you will pay $150 single and $300 family. For the already retired do not know that yet but I will found out and keep you posted. Hope I helped.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So a "Substantial" $1.50 raise nets a new hire $0.50-$.063. That's a joke!

#1) It's really a 50c pay hike, since the additional dollar is negated by the loss of the 90-day raise.

#2) The pay hike is $1.50 for 90-days, 50c for the balance of the first year as well as the second, $1 for the third year, 63c for the fourth year. Based on a PTer working 20-hours per week:
- It's an extra $760 in the first year of employment, on wages of $10,920
- It's an extra $520 in the second year of employment, on wages of $11,440
- It's an extra $1040 in the third year of employment, on wages of $12,480
- It's an extra $655 in the third year of employment, on wages of $13,136
- It's nearly an extra $3000, on wages of nearly $48,000

So I'd disagree it's a joke, and say it's pretty significant. Of course, it's pocket change to the $10,000+ raise the average driver will earn in just the final year.

#3) I suspect the changes in the progression scale are being done to a) make UPS much more attractive to short-term employees and b) align/stay ahead of minimum wage

Remember, a third-year employee will be banking $12/hour alongside full no-cost benefits. 10-year employees at our nation's largest employer don't earn much more than $10/hour and they certainly don't get benefits. And FedEx Ground tops out at $14/hour -- without benefits -- after four years. So while I'm maintain the pay is pathetic for a union shop, it still makes UPS stand out to menial workers.

Could you imagine Scott Davis if UPS had a FedEX Ground-type work environment, in which PT topped out at $14/hour (no benefits, other than tuition reimbursement) after four years and had no hope for any non-management FT job? Uh-oh... clean up on aisle 4. And bring the HazMat crew.

UPS Preloader

#1) It's really a 50c pay hike, since the additional dollar is negated by the loss of the 90-day raise.

#2) The pay hike is $1.50 for 90-days, 50c for the balance of the first year as well as the second, $1 for the third year, 63c for the fourth year. Based on a PTer working 20-hours per week:
- It's an extra $760 in the first year of employment, on wages of $10,920
- It's an extra $520 in the second year of employment, on wages of $11,440
- It's an extra $1040 in the third year of employment, on wages of $12,480
- It's an extra $655 in the third year of employment, on wages of $13,136
- It's nearly an extra $3000, on wages of nearly $48,000

So I'd disagree it's a joke, and say it's pretty significant.

#3) I suspect the changes in the progression scale are being done to a) make UPS much more attractive to short-term employees and b) align/stay ahead of minimum wage

Remember, a third-year employee will be banking $12/hour alongside full no-cost benefits. 10-year employees at our nation's largest employer don't earn much more than $10/hour and they certainly don't get benefits. And FedEx Ground tops out at $14/hour -- without benefits -- after four years. So while I'm maintain the pay is pathetic for a union shop, it still makes UPS stand out to menial workers.

Could you imagine Scott Davis if UPS had a FedEX Ground-type work environment, in which PT topped out at $14/hour (no benefits, other than tuition reimbursement) after four years and had no hope for any non-management FT job? Uh-oh... clean up on aisle 4. And bring the HazMat crew.

I agree that $3,000 is nice but it is over 4 years and it is certainly Not the $1.50 increase that was implied.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I agree that $3,000 is nice but it is over 4 years and it is certainly Not the $1.50 increase that was implied.

It was never implied. The union delivered exactly what it promoted -- a $1.50 bump in the starting wage. Of course, further details aren't promoted because ... well, what good politician would do so?

Nonetheless, when I graduated high school in 2001, Kroger -- also a union shop -- was hiring at $10/hour, and offering a $1 premium for hours worked between 4PM & 8PM. Today -- nearly 12 years later (wow, am I really that old?) -- Kroger is hiring at $7.25/hour with no shift premium. That's a $2.75 drop. Meanwhile, UPS was hiring at $8.50 -- no additional raises until after one year. Today, it's been upped to $10/hour.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I say vote no on 1st proposal. Commonsense tells us their 1st proposal is going to be their worst. Let them jerkoffs know were tired of playing their idiotic game. The drivers are the ones who make them their money and we are the ones who have to clean up their screwups every,every single day.

quamba 638

The more I read, the more I investigate what was said at the rallies, the more I connect the dots....the more I am convinced we were all bamboozled into this union run healthcare. The plans for us all to go into a union plan was in motion long before hall supposedly walked away from the negotiation table.

They (UPS AND THE UNION) knew from the get go they would have a hard time selling the rank and file on the Union running the healthcare. They (UPS AND UNION) came up with a plan to scare everyone into thinking that WE could end up paying 30/60/90. Get everyone fired up and angry. This was to lighten the blow of a Union run healthcare plan. Then come back and say "we made progress, UPS has come down to 20/40/60 but that isn't good enough". Then come out with the "we have a great contract". Trying to give the impression that they fought a good fight and got us a great contract. All the while they got a lot of the rank and file to accept the healthcare issue as a "well, at least we aren't paying 30/60/90"

It was a plan, and not a well executed one at that!! They can blow me.

This was exactly what I thought. Sounded like a win/win for UPS and the union.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I say vote no on 1st proposal. Commonsense tells us their 1st proposal is going to be their worst. Let them jerkoffs know were tired of playing their idiotic game. The drivers are the ones who make them their money and we are the ones who have to clean up their screwups every,every single day.

It's a contract that will push the average FTer to about $100,000 annually, making them among the top 5% of all wage earners -- and by far the highest paid menial workers -- in the country, in addition to no-cost benefits & the retention of an actual pension.

If you're FT, quite honestly, I don't know what you expected. $50/hour and a maximum of 100 stops/250 packages (whichever was higher) per day? Might as well hope for Kate Upton to come to each center and perform lap dances ...

Quite honestly, I doubt UPS had any interest in giving a $3.90 raise in addition to absorbing all future health care increases -- most likely the threat of its largest consumers walking played its hand. I think if the Teamsters pushed harder, UPS would play hard ball. You probably got their best contract without striking, which would have devastating effects on the company and our union (hello, Eastern Airlines ... well, not that bad...)

UPS Preloader

It was never implied. The union delivered exactly what it promoted -- a $1.50 bump in the starting wage. Of course, further details aren't promoted because ... well, what good politician would do so?

Nonetheless, when I graduated high school in 2001, Kroger -- also a union shop -- was hiring at $10/hour, and offering a $1 premium for hours worked between 4PM & 8PM. Today -- nearly 12 years later (wow, am I really that old?) -- Kroger is hiring at $7.25/hour with no shift premium. That's a $2.75 drop. Meanwhile, UPS was hiring at $8.50 -- no additional raises until after one year. Today, it's been upped to $10/hour.

$1.50 minus $1.00 does not equal a $1.50 bump in the starting pay. I don't consider 90 day bump a raise. I respect your point of view, but I'll be voting no for numerous reasons.

UPS Preloader

Bagels, you previously stated the part time pay rate was "For a union shop, it's absolutely pathetic." I don't see how you can be defending/promoting the proposed part time increase. A 50 cent net increase in the starting pay is not a substantial increase.

Moneythehardway

Us Part timers need to unite and vote this TA down. Because truth be told, the way UPS and the union has this contract written up will divide the votes being YES from the drivers and NO from the FEW Ptimers that has been here for some time and will vote.

It'd be nice if as a *UNION* , the drivers and Part timers vote this down together as *brothers* until we are *ALL* satisfied but the sad reality is, drivers are happy and so screw what the ptimers want. So we have to stick together ptimers!.

NO to lower General Wage DECREASES from years before AFTER RECORD breaking PROFITS 2012, and 1st qtr 2013 and higher prospective earnings from online sales in the future.

No to a FOUR (4) year driving progression!!! After many of us have already been waiting over 5 years to even SNIFF a driving gig once we go to integrad we have to drive FOUR YEARS to get the same benefits the drivers of today only had to drive 2 and 3 years to get? NO NO NO!!!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels, you previously stated the part time pay rate was "For a union shop, it's absolutely pathetic." I don't see how you can be defending/promoting the proposed part time increase. A 50 cent net increase in the starting pay is not a substantial increase.

I do think that. But I also recognize that a) there's only so much money to go around; b) the drivers - once again - got most of it; and c) PT compensation far exceeds that of other comparable menial jobs.

UPS Preloader

I do think that. But I also recognize that a) there's only so much money to go around; b) the drivers - once again - got most of it; and c) PT compensation far exceeds that of other comparable menial jobs.

I can accept that, but it's still a NO vote for me.

browned out

The more I read, the more I investigate what was said at the rallies, the more I connect the dots....the more I am convinced we were all bamboozled into this union run healthcare. The plans for us all to go into a union plan was in motion long before hall supposedly walked away from the negotiation table.

They (UPS AND THE UNION) knew from the get go they would have a hard time selling the rank and file on the Union running the healthcare. They (UPS AND UNION) came up with a plan to scare everyone into thinking that WE could end up paying 30/60/90. Get everyone fired up and angry. This was to lighten the blow of a Union run healthcare plan. Then come back and say "we made progress, UPS has come down to 20/40/60 but that isn't good enough". Then come out with the "we have a great contract". Trying to give the impression that they fought a good fight and got us a great contract. All the while they got a lot of the rank and file to accept the healthcare issue as a "well, at least we aren't paying 30/60/90"

It was a plan, and not a well executed one at that!! They can blow me.

If the Teamsters control the health care thru UPS contribuitons, Will freeloaders who want union benefits but not union dues be denied the benefit of teamster health care? I hope so. They still have the right to work for UPS and get a " no dues.. no benefits for you"