The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not a matter of loving them. If I were 22, had a wife and baby in Honduras, had no hope of getting a job that allowed me to support them decently, and the U.S. government is rolling out the red carpet, I'd go too. And I'm 100% for a wall to keep them out. Even the biggest ships can sink taking on too much weight. But despise them, call all of them vermin? Maybe consider how fortunate you are that an ancestor decided to come to the U.S.
When previous immigrants came here they had to be totally self supporting. No government lodging, food, etc.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Not a matter of loving them. If I were 22, had a wife and baby in Honduras, had no hope of getting a job that allowed me to support them decently, and the U.S. government is rolling out the red carpet, I'd go too. And I'm 100% for a wall to keep them out. Even the biggest ships can sink taking on too much weight. But despise them, call all of them vermin? Maybe consider how fortunate you are that an ancestor decided to come to the U.S.
My ancestors didn’t come here illegally. They came thru Ellis Island where they would have been quarantined if they were sick, sent back if they had no sponsor. They had no hand outs. The scum that is coming here now, no matter how well intentioned or misinformed, have no skills, no education or background checks of any kind, the taxpayer is supporting them. Like sewer rats. And before you play the race card, I’m Italian ancestry my family along with my Irish friends family faced a lot of discrimination.

vantexan

When previous immigrants came here they had to be totally self supporting. No government lodging, food, etc.
And highly likely the ones coming now, most of them, wouldn't be here if they weren't encouraged and enabled by our government. Most immigrants in the early days came at a time when there was always work in a growing economy. Most of the ones who are coming now only know stories about the Land of Milk and Honey. They have no clue that the U.S. Isn't what it once was and that they're being used as pawns.

vantexan

My ancestors didn’t come here illegally. They came thru Ellis Island where they would have been quarantined if they were sick, sent back if they had no sponsor. They had no hand outs. The scum that is coming here now, no matter how well intentioned or misinformed, have no skills, no education or background checks of any kind, the taxpayer is supporting them. Like sewer rats. And before you play the race card, I’m Italian ancestry my family along with my Irish friends family faced a lot of discrimination.
So? You think my Irish and Scots-Irish and Native American ancestors didn't face discrimination? I in no way am encouraging anyone to come here illegally. I'm pointing out most of these people are humans, not scum, not vermin. Your anger should be directed at the people in Washington who are enabling this. The companies who want cheap labor. The politicians who want to game our system for future votes.

UnionStrong

So? You think my Irish and Scots-Irish and Native American ancestors didn't face discrimination? I in no way am encouraging anyone to come here illegally. I'm pointing out most of these people are humans, not scum, not vermin. Your anger should be directed at the people in Washington who are enabling this. The companies who want cheap labor. The politicians who want to game our system for future votes.
Vermin. And I also hate the scum in Washington, but they’re not the ones committing the crime and draining our resources. They won’t be the ones robbing and raping you and your daughter.
I’m not going to debate this with you so let it go.

vantexan

Vermin. And I also hate the scum in Washington, but they’re not the ones committing the crime and draining our resources. They won’t be the ones robbing and raping you and your daughter.
I’m not going to debate this with you so let it go.
I can say it until I'm blue in the face that I want total border security, want the criminal element arrested and punished. But if I don't want to call them all something less than human then I support rape and theft. As if they're all rapists and thieves and who knows what else. They aren't scum for wanting a better life. If our government tells them it's ok, come on over, they aren't scum for taking advantage of the opportunity. Military aged young men? Are you suggesting this is all a plot to take over the country? What difference does their age make? The ones who are strong enough to make the journey and work the fields or whatever hard work they find themselves in tend to be young and male.

UnionStrong

I can say it until I'm blue in the face that I want total border security, want the criminal element arrested and punished. But if I don't want to call them all something less than human then I support rape and theft. As if they're all rapists and thieves and who knows what else. They aren't scum for wanting a better life. If our government tells them it's ok, come on over, they aren't scum for taking advantage of the opportunity. Military aged young men? Are you suggesting this is all a plot to take over the country? What difference does their age make? The ones who are strong enough to make the journey and work the fields or whatever hard work they find themselves in tend to be young and male.
I don’t care what you call them. And I don’t care about their journey! 🤣. I’m done with you on this.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
And highly likely the ones coming now, most of them, wouldn't be here if they weren't encouraged and enabled by our government. Most immigrants in the early days came at a time when there was always work in a growing economy. Most of the ones who are coming now only know stories about the Land of Milk and Honey. They have no clue that the U.S. Isn't what it once was and that they're being used as pawns.
These people will be an overwhelming drain on government resources for decades, but that's the plan to get them dependent on government insuring the vote to keep Democrats in power.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You're living in the past, Van. You're describing immigrants from your era, not the current one. There IS a difference.

vantexan

These people will be an overwhelming drain on government resources for decades, but that's the plan to get them dependent on government insuring the vote to keep Democrats in power.
Or could be they'll take the place of all the young American adults who'd rather steal than work.

vantexan

You're living in the past, Van. You're describing immigrants from your era, not the current one. There IS a difference.
Y'all should really spend some time overseas. Cancun doesn't count. What I found in many places was a much higher percentage of people with traditional values. Who are very family oriented. Who work hard. That doesn't mean there aren't bad apples coming here. Why wouldn't they, they see easy pickings here. But the majority of them you can't smear with the same broad brush.

UnionStrong

Y'all should really spend some time overseas. Cancun doesn't count. What I found In many places was a much higher percentage of people with traditional values. Who are very family oriented. Who work hard. That doesn't mean there aren't bad apples coming here. Why wouldn't they, they see easy pickings here. But the majority of them you can't smear with the same broad brush.
🤣🤣🤣🤣