The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

vantexan

That's not the subject. I thought we were talking about why there was a civil war?
You said a major reason was the North was preventing the spread of slavery into the territories and that unfairly violated the constitutional rights of Southerners. Sounded to me that you were justifying the continuance of slavery.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
You said a major reason was the North was preventing the spread of slavery into the territories and that unfairly violated the constitutional rights of Southerners. Sounded to me that you were justifying the continuance of slavery.
Better said would be to prevent the spread of a state not having the authority to make those decisions. The moral question of slavery was never a question. The power of the Federal Monster was the issue.

rod

Retired 23 years
Where's Melania? I guess this appearance wasn't contractually obligated.

GCUWtkOb0AA_JfW
someone had to take the picture

vantexan

Better said would be to prevent the spread of a state not having the authority to make those decisions. The moral question of slavery was never a question. The power of the Federal Monster was the issue.
It's a Federal territory until statehood is granted. Utah had to give up polygamy in order to get statehood. Federal Monster? And you specifically said the North was hemming in the South by not allowing the spread of slavery. Violating their rights. Major reason for the war. Ergo you are supporting their right to spread slavery to the territories.

BrownFlush

That's generally what being on the wrong side of history means,
Really now?
that they were wrong in what they were advocating. In this case slavery.
Nope. They were advocating states rights. The north and south could care less about slaves or the morality of it.
About 1 in 75 Confederate soldiers had slaves. Yeah... that's why they went to battle.

Last edited:

BrownFlush

It's a Federal territory until statehood is granted. Utah had to give up polygamy in order to get statehood. Federal Monster? And you specifically said the North was hemming in the South by not allowing the spread of slavery. Violating their rights. Major reason for the war. Ergo you are supporting their right to spread slavery to the territories.
I thought I clarified that for you, but I'll try again.
The territory was going to be future states. Were they also going to be under the thumb of The Federal Monster calling all the shots? Were they going to be controlled by Lincoln? The South had every constitutional right for succession.
Don't you see what they seen long ago today?

vantexan

I thought I clarified that for you, but I'll try again.
The territory was going to be future states. Were they also going to be under the thumb of The Federal Monster calling all the shots? Were they going to be controlled by Lincoln? The South had every constitutional right for succession.
Don't you see what they seen long ago today?
Any territory wanting to become a state had to meet criteria to join. That doesn't mean the Federal government controlled them from there on. 37 states have joined. About the only state that comes close to what you're saying is Nevada.

BrownFlush

Any territory wanting to become a state had to meet criteria to join. That doesn't mean the Federal government controlled them from there on. 37 states have joined. About the only state that comes close to what you're saying is Nevada.
"Was the Republic a unified nation in which the individual states had merged their sovereign rights and identities forever, or was it a federation of sovereign states joined together for specific purposes from which they could withdraw at any time?" -Maury Klein
The invasion from the North settled that question and the answer is satisfactory to you. It's not for me. No biggy.