The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

vantexan

I’m not saying you did push them, I’m saying, give him credit for what he did right, and hold his feet to the fire for what he did wrong and make him a better leader next time. If he’s a true leader, he will welcome that. And not make excuses..
Come on now, you were saying he was wrong at the very start to put any restrictions on. It was the right call to be cautious, and the right call to open Florida back up. It was that leadership that won his re-election by a huge margin. A leader isn't great because he makes all the decisions that prove popular. It's making the tough decisions that many won't like that matters. And yes sometimes it's the wrong call. Most Floridians think he was right.

Thebrownblob

Come on now, you were saying he was wrong at the very start to put any restrictions on. It was the right call to be cautious, and the right call to open Florida back up. It was that leadership that won his re-election by a huge margin. A leader isn't great because he makes all the decisions that prove popular. It's making the tough decisions that many won't like that matters. And yes sometimes it's the wrong call. Most Floridians think he was right.
And I’m still saying he was wrong and so should you, even if you thought he was right then. It was a bad decision and it would’ve been a tough decision for him to not go along with everyone else, but he would’ve been right. That’s what I’m saying so the next time he protects liberty and freedom first, and he will never go wrong no matter what the lying media says who are never going to support him anyway. Stop treating people like a God he’s human. He makes a mistake and we can still support him. Whlie we are chastising him for what he did wrong.

vantexan

And I’m still saying he was wrong and so should you, even if you thought he was right then. It was a bad decision and it would’ve been a tough decision for him to not go along with everyone else, but he would’ve been right. That’s what I’m saying so the next time he protects liberty and freedom first, and he will never go wrong no matter what the lying media says who are never going to support him anyway.
The people of Florida supported him big time. Your experience in your state may vary.

Thebrownblob

The people of Florida supported him big time. Your experience in your state may vary.
When did I say they shouldn’t? I don’t gloss over the things that people do that I support. It only allows them to do those things again.

Remember, the supposed other side are the ones you complain about that stick their heads in the sand, no matter what their leaders do, because they worship them.

vantexan

When did I say they shouldn’t? I don’t gloss over the things that people do that I support. It only allows them to do those things again.

Remember, the other side other ones we complain about his stick their heads in the sand, no matter what their leaders do, because they worship them.
Who is glossing? We support what he did. You're insisting your way is the only correct way. That seems a bit more authoritarian than what DeSantis did.

vantexan

Again, you just admitted viruses mutate big deal every virus does that and those 10,000 people were likely to die one way or the other they just so happen to have a governor who made sure they died quicker in New York.
Again the government made things worse x10
Apparently, you still can’t come to grips with the fact that it was poor choices, and the dereliction of duty by almost every leader at least for a short time, I’m all for giving them credit for what they did right but I will hold their feet to the fire for what they did wrong, so it does not happen again.
How did Cuomo make them die quicker without a virus being responsible?

Thebrownblob

Who is glossing? We support what he did. You're insisting your way is the only correct way. That seems a bit more authoritarian than what DeSantis did.
I’m insisting that his first decision was wrong, and the evidence proves it, that is all.
Just because he changed course a few weeks later does not make him perfect and a real leader would’ve went against taking your personal liberties and freedoms away,I don’t know what so difficult about that. Do the people of Florida think he’s better than the alternative? it seems so, good for them if they do. I would like to think most would hope he would not make the same choice again.

vantexan

I’m insisting that his first decision was wrong, and the evidence proves it, that is all.
Just because he changed course a few weeks later does not make him perfect and a real leader would’ve went against taking your personal liberties and freedoms away,I don’t know what so difficult about that.
Leaders make the tough calls. Those restrictions hurt people financially, but I wasn't restricted from getting food and gas. DeSantis waited for data, and decided on seeing it to ease restrictions. That's the logical course. He didn't do things like shut down churches while leaving liquor stores open. He reopened schools so that kids didn't miss a year of education and have their mental health impacted. There were a lot of things done around the country that DeSantis didn't do. You said he didn't have the constitutional right to do anything. It's why we elect leaders. They have the constitutional authority to make those calls. The Constitution for example doesn't address driving cars. The powers that be for example put requirements in for getting and keeping a license. They tell you what the speed limit is on a road. If they catch you going above they will stop you and fine you. Why? Public safety. Are they impinging on your belief that they don't have the right to tell you how fast you can drive? Or do you believe they have that right? If they do then they certainly have the right for the sake of public safety to tell you to shut down any space where people gather except where it restricts you from getting life sustaining food and medical care. I'm much more concerned about what governors and mayors did that went way beyond anything DeSantis did. A lot of it looked like attacking their political enemies.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Geez man, I've been saying millions died but y'all are saying it was a fake virus and don't believe what you read about all those deaths. Something was killing them. Morgues were overflowing.
Millions died ATTRIBUTED to Covid.

We’ll never know how many ACTUALLY died from Covid.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Just because he changed course a few weeks later does not make him perfect and a real leader would’ve went against taking your personal liberties and freedoms away,I don’t know what so difficult about that. Do the people of Florida think he’s better than the alternative? it seems so, good for them if they do. I would like to think most would hope he would not make the same choice again.
He acted under the powers given to his office. You are insisting that he was wrong, not because a better choice was possible, but because he overreached his authority.

You would be wrong.

“Under our federalist constitutional system, primary public health powers (“police powers”) reside with the states, not the national government. While we are currently witnessing the largest federal quarantine in modern history stemming from evacuations from Wuhan and cruise ships (the last federal quarantine was 50 years ago for a suspected case of smallpox), the federal government has very narrow quarantine powers. There are no broad national quarantine powers like those exercised in China and Italy; the US federal government can only act to prevent the spread of COVID-19 into the US or between states. States have the primary quarantine authority, so any compulsory order would be a state or local decision.”

Thebrownblob

He acted under the powers given to his office. You are insisting that he was wrong, not because a better choice was possible, but because he overreached his authority.

You would be wrong.

“Under our federalist constitutional system, primary public health powers (“police powers”) reside with the states, not the national government. While we are currently witnessing the largest federal quarantine in modern history stemming from evacuations from Wuhan and cruise ships (the last federal quarantine was 50 years ago for a suspected case of smallpox), the federal government has very narrow quarantine powers. There are no broad national quarantine powers like those exercised in China and Italy; the US federal government can only act to prevent the spread of COVID-19 into the US or between states. States have the primary quarantine authority, so any compulsory order would be a state or local decision.”
I’m not wrong, the choice was made and he chose wrong. Because it was convenient and everyone else was doing it It’s not complicated just because you have the power does not mean you should have the authority, nor should you do it. And giving him cover does nothing to persuade him to not make a poor choice next time and pull back.

Lots of tyrants work under that philosophy they have the power to do something because no one can stop them.

vantexan

I’m not wrong, the choice was made and he chose wrong. It’s not complicated just because you have the power does not mean you should have the authority, nor should you do it. And giving him cover does nothing to persuade him to not make a poor choice next time and pull back.

Lots of tyrants work under that philosophy they have the power to do something because no one can stop them.
Well that begs the question, was DeSantis being a tyrant for acting in the public's safety?