The religion of peace strikes again...

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm not endorsing or agreeing with the following because I don't know enough about the situation or the author. Thought it was interesting so I'm just tossing it out there.

Sharpening Contradictions: Why al-Qaeda attacked Satirists in Paris - Juan Cole

The horrific murder of the editor, cartoonists and other staff of the irreverent satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, along with two policemen, by terrorists in Paris was in my view a strategic strike, aiming at polarizing the French and European public.

The problem for a terrorist group like al-Qaeda is that its recruitment pool is Muslims, but most Muslims are not interested in terrorism. Most Muslims are not even interested in politics, much less political Islam. France is a country of 66 million, of which about 5 million is of Muslim heritage. But in polling, only a third, less than 2 million, say that they are interested in religion. French Muslims may be the most secular Muslim-heritage population in the world (ex-Soviet ethnic Muslims often also have low rates of belief and observance). Many Muslim immigrants in the post-war period to France came as laborers and were not literate people, and their grandchildren are rather distant from Middle Eastern fundamentalism, pursuing urban cosmopolitan culture such as rap and rai. In Paris, where Muslims tend to be better educated and more religious, the vast majority reject violence and say they are loyal to France.

Sportello

You would be better informed if you read more Juan Cole, and took me out of the queue ;)

I'm not endorsing or agreeing with the following because I don't know enough about the situation or the author. Thought it was interesting so I'm just tossing it out there.

Sharpening Contradictions: Why al-Qaeda attacked Satirists in Paris - Juan Cole

The horrific murder of the editor, cartoonists and other staff of the irreverent satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, along with two policemen, by terrorists in Paris was in my view a strategic strike, aiming at polarizing the French and European public.

The problem for a terrorist group like al-Qaeda is that its recruitment pool is Muslims, but most Muslims are not interested in terrorism. Most Muslims are not even interested in politics, much less political Islam. France is a country of 66 million, of which about 5 million is of Muslim heritage. But in polling, only a third, less than 2 million, say that they are interested in religion. French Muslims may be the most secular Muslim-heritage population in the world (ex-Soviet ethnic Muslims often also have low rates of belief and observance). Many Muslim immigrants in the post-war period to France came as laborers and were not literate people, and their grandchildren are rather distant from Middle Eastern fundamentalism, pursuing urban cosmopolitan culture such as rap and rai. In Paris, where Muslims tend to be better educated and more religious, the vast majority reject violence and say they are loyal to France.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
g4fh4.jpg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
.....hear. I'm catholic and was an alter server, I was never molested. The priests who did it and those who covered it up were wrong.

It kind of has nothing to do with Muslims killing each other, though
Agreed.
Just pointing out that not all Muslims are radical and I don't condemn them all for the actions of a few.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Agreed.
Just pointing out that not all Muslims are radical and I don't condemn them all for the actions of a few.

The solution is to kill-off radical Islam. Extremely complicated, and probably impossible. I'm sure a FOX pundit will tell us all how it can be accomplished very soon.

trickpony1

I don't know who or what that is pictured in post #2298 but if it is so in favor of the muslim lifestyle why doesn't it move to the middle east?

trickpony1

Not all Muslims live in the Middle East.
Why not relocate all Catholics to Rome?

Debate 101-
I never said all muslims live in the middle east.
The environment does seem a little more hospitable to them though.

If Catholics want to move to Rome then they should. To date I haven't heard of roving bands on Catholics riding jeeps with mounted machine guns in Rome. If you have please post a link.