The religion of peace strikes again...

wkmac

The world we live in surrounded by all it's faiths suggest we've yet to fully grasp those greatest qualities of which they all have to offer.

In the western chrisitian tradition, if I were many of you, I would also be considering the ramifications of Matthew 7:21-23 as well.

African Traditional Religions

"One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."
Yoruba Proverb (Nigeria)

Buddhism

"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
Udana-Varga 5,1
"Comparing oneself to others in such terms as "Just as I am so are they, just as they are so am I," he should neither kill nor cause others to kill."
Sutta Nipata 705

"One should seek for others the happiness one desires for himself"
Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama, c. 563 - c. 483 B.C.)

"The Ariyan disciple thus reflects, Here am I, fond of my life, not wanting to die, fond of pleasure and averse from pain. Suppose someone should rob me of my life... it would not be a thing pleasing and delightful to me. If I, in my turn, should rob of his life one fond of his life, not wanting to die, one fond of pleasure and averse from pain, it would not be a thing pleasing or delightful to him. For a state that is not pleasant or delightful to me must also be to him also; and a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another? As a result of such reflection he himself abstains from taking the life of creatures and he encourages others so to abstain, and speaks in praise of so abstaining."
Samyutta Nikaya v.353

"Never do to other persons what would pain thyself."
Panchatantra (Buddhist Mythology c. 200 B.C.)

Christianity

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets."
Matthew 7:1

"You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Leviticus 19.18

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets"
Matthew 22.36-40

Confucianism

"Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state."
Analects 12:2

"Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself, and you will find that this is the shortest way to benevolence."
Mencius VII.A.4

"Tsekung asked, "Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you.""
Analects 15.23

Hinduism

"This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you."
Mahabharata 5,1517

"One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the essence of morality. All other activities are due to selfish desire."
Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva 113.8

Islam

"No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself."
40 Hadith of an-Nawawi 13

Jainism

"In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self."
"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated."
Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

"One should treat all beings as he himself would be treated."
Agamas Sutrakritanga 1.10.13

Judaism

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary."
Talmud, Shabbat 3id

Sikhism

"As thou deemest thyself, so deem others."

Taoism

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss."
Tai Shang Kan Yin P'ien

Zoroastrianism

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing another whatsoever is not good for itself."
Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5

"Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others."
Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

Other

"Do not do unto others what angers you if done to you by others."
Socrates 436-338 BCE

"We should behave toward friends as we would wish friends to behave toward us."
Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

"He sought for others the good he desired for himself. Let him pass."
Egyptian Book of the Dead (1580-1350 B.C.)

"Do not kill or injure your neighbor, for it is not him that you injure, you injure yourself. But do good to him, therefore add to his days of happiness as you add to your own. Do not wrong or hate your neighbor, for it is not him that you wrong, you wrong yourself. But love him, for Moneto loves him also as he loves you."
Shawnees Indians

moreluck

golden ticket member
All of those may apply in a perfect world.....I would think the Paris people are all for banning Muslims in their city at the moment!! That open arms, welcoming attitude can get you snuffed.
There is a part of town, sharia law prevails and we have no idea what they do there or have shipped in there.

wkmac

All of those may apply in a perfect world.....I would think the Paris people are all for banning Muslims in their city at the moment!! That open arms, welcoming attitude can get you snuffed.
There is a part of town, sharia law prevails and we have no idea what they do there or have shipped in there.

In the case of christianty of which much of western tradition is influenced, I don't recall Jesus making such qualifiers. But then I do remember something to the effect, "ye of little faith...."

The irony is that so many faiths say the same thing and yet so many that follow likely say the same thing you do. Doesn't say much for the strength of faith now does it?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Faith is personal. You can have faith in Obama . You can have faith in Deputy Dawg. Depends what the basis of your faith is......weirdness like scientology ???.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
The solution is to kill-off radical Islam. Extremely complicated, and probably impossible. I'm sure a FOX pundit will tell us all how it can be accomplished very soon.
The patriots will never accept the fact that their beloved commanders in chief, St. Ronnie, Bush 1.0 and Bush 2.0 screwed the pooch with their foreign policy and in turn have done nothing more than create another generation of people who are hell bent on causing destruction.

OPTION3

The patriots will never accept the fact that their beloved commanders in chief, St. Ronnie, Bush 1.0 and Bush 2.0 screwed the pooch with their foreign policy and in turn have done nothing more than create another generation of people who are hell bent on causing destruction.
Newsflash.....those people have been hell bent on causing destruction since the beginning of time

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Newsflash.....those people have been hell bent on causing destruction since the beginning of time
Bingo!
The Sunnis and Shiites have been killing each other for centuries.
What made us think we could invade their country, set up a democracy and have them live together on peace?
Our foreign policy team at the time was clueless.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Bingo!
The Sunnis and Shiites have been killing each other for centuries.
What made us think we could invade their country, set up a democracy and have them live together on peace? and install a puppet government to sell us cheap oil?
Our foreign policy team at the time was clueless.
ftfy

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Pull out all armed forces out then. Close the US embassies in any middle eastern country, and let them all behead each other. They'll be Europes problem. Until they get onto airplanes and come over here, but that would never happen, right?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I agree with one of the retired generals being interviewed this morning....
If we are too politically correct to even identify the enemy, then the enemy wins.

CAIR seems to have caused the pentagon to strikeout the terms that they felt were offensive. Since when does CAIR run this country. Our own president won't even say the words "radical islam". Identify the enemy!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree with one of the retired generals being interviewed this morning....
If we are too politically correct to even identify the enemy, then the enemy wins.

CAIR seems to have caused the pentagon to strikeout the terms that they felt were offensive. Since when does CAIR run this country. Our own president won't even say the words "radical islam". Identify the enemy!!!
CAIR is on the terrorist list for United Arab Emirates.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Identify the enemy!!

158502_600.jpg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as on

John Lennon had it right!!!!!!
There would be alot less war without religion.