The religion of peace strikes again...

10 point

You know so little of Jewish and Persian history. There is a clear friendship with Iran formally caller Persia dating back to 538 BC and the reign of King Cyrus, known as Cyrus the Great, who freed the Judeans from Babylonian captivity and even financed and restored them back to their land. The jews were so grateful that they bestowed a unique title upon Cyrus, they called him in the Hebrew Mashiah meaning anointed one which translates into english, Messiah. The greek Septuagint uses the word Khristos which in english is Christ. You see to jews in Babylon, Cyrus was a messiah, a christ figure in that he brought to them salvation. That legacy among Persians and devoted orthodox jews goes way, way back and there is a deep affection as a result.

You know you might read the bible sometime, specifically the books of Ezra and Nehemiah and get some background on this part of history and then you just might understand the Rabbi's hospitality to President Ahmadinejad has a long and rich tradition that has nothing to do with fear.

BTW: If you listen to the Rabbi speak of Zionism as opposed to Rabbinic Judaism, he's giving you a lesson and a hint of what Zionism is. Go research Theodore Herzl and the early Zionist movement of the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm certain you won't but then your ignorance is on you.
Don't forget Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. But mostly Daniels influence in a pagan kingdom.

They needed Daniel more than the other way around.

And Nehemiah's favor was from Elohim who gave him the strength to persevere.
It was the fulfillment of the promise.
Babylon was just a cat on a chain.

wkmac

Elohim is just one more proof of the very Canaanite paganism of similar fashion found in that pagan Kingdom you spoke of. But then Dr. William Dever blew this door off the hinges back in 1968'.

10 point

The reason Cyrus was as significant to the Hebrews was because they were in captivity for gross disobedience and idol worship.

Without the punishment for disobedience Cyrus would not be a player in their history.

10 point

Elohim is just one more proof of the very Canaanite paganism of similar fashion found in that pagan Kingdom you spoke of. But then Dr. William Dever blew this door off the hinges back in 1968'.

elohim is in the Canaanite language and means "one god".

Elohim, always capitalized, always means "One true God".

Yahweh, Adoni, Elohim, are all descriptions of different attributes of God the Father. Elohim has been referenced as "strong one".

Adoni is understood to be plural and reportedly is attached to the Trinity...from what I read. But all of that is Septuagint up until Jesus.

That's the info I've been given.

wkmac

The reason Cyrus was as significant to the Hebrews was because they were in captivity for gross disobedience and idol worship.

Without the punishment for disobedience Cyrus would not be a player in their history.

That's fine but how does that change the point of how jews view Cyrus? The focus was about the relationship of judaism to Persia. Nobody argued the Babylonian captivity or it's cause, rather the point was on Persia and the actions after the fact. Just so you know. in post 2434 above I did make note that the judeans were in the Babylonian captivity. I left the rest of the details bare so as to offer you an entry point into the conversation.

As to idolatry, Judea even after the captivity may well have been much more a culture of monolatrism than purely monotheistic. In its exoteric sense, yes monotheism seems to dominate but once you begin reading many jewish and gnostic esoteric writings, the monotheistic purity seems to seriously wane. Judaism especially by the 1st century CE was heavily Hellenized and thus why some argue that Jesus mirrors many greek gods moreso than the jewish messiah prophecies. Besides jews were looking for a earthly Davidic king and not a god man from heaven.

10 point

That's fine but how does that change the point of how jews view Cyrus? The focus was about the relationship of judaism to Persia. Nobody argued the Babylonian captivity or it's cause, rather the point was on Persia and the actions after the fact. Just so you know. in post 2434 above I did make note that the judeans were in the Babylonian captivity. I left the rest of the details bare so as to offer you an entry point into the conversation.

As to idolatry, Judea even after the captivity may well have been much more a culture of monolatrism than purely monotheistic. In its exoteric sense, yes monotheism seems to dominate but once you begin reading many jewish and gnostic esoteric writings, the monotheistic purity seems to seriously wane. Judaism especially by the 1st century CE was heavily Hellenized and thus why some argue that Jesus mirrors many greek gods moreso than the jewish messiah prophecies. Besides jews were looking for a earthly Davidic king and not a god man from heaven.
It would seem that I was trivializing you point about Iran but that's not my intent. It's actually interesting to have anyone on B.Cafe so articulated in that arena. Thx for the refresher course.

There's alot more to this story and it's complex to us gentiles who only worry about football scores (yes, a joke).
The disciples missed it although God always surprises us. Instead of the thunder He uses a still, small voice.

Last edited:

wkmac

elohim is in the Canaanite language and means "one god".

Elohim, always capitalized, always means "One true God".

Yahweh, Adoni, Elohim, are all descriptions of different attributes of God the Father. Elohim has been referenced as "strong one".

Adoni is understood to be plural and reportedly is attached to the Trinity...from what I read. But all of that is Septuagint up until Jesus.

That's the info I've been given.

We've read different as Elohim is rooted in the semetic El that is plural. It's the elohim in Genesis that sez, "let US make man in our image, male and female." The EL was El Elyon God Most High and his Asherah the female goddess or we can conclude that god making male and female in "his" image was a hermaphrodite which in some esoteric writing is taught. And that Adam was Hermaphrodite.

Others speak of the Demiurge Yaldabaoth from whom a kind of monotheistic creator god emerged and from which the later Yahweh came from in the form of Yahweh Shabboth or God of the Armies fashioned after the greek god Aries.

But if the other works for ya.

wkmac

It would seem that I was trivializing you point about Iran but that's not my intent. It's actually interesting to have anyone on B.Cafe so articulated in that arena. Thx for the refresher course.

There's alot more to this story and it's complex to us gentiles who only worry about football scores (yes, a joke).
The disciples missed it although God always surprises us. Instead if the thunder He uses a still, small voice.

It is complex but I enjoy it. Religion, comparative religion fascinates me.

10 point

We've read different as Elohim is rooted in the semetic El that is plural. It's the elohim in Genesis that sez, "let US make man in our image, male and female." The EL was El Elyon God Most High and his Asherah the female goddess or we can conclude that god making male and female in "his" image was a hermaphrodite which in some esoteric writing is taught. And that Adam was Hermaphrodite.

Others speak of the Demiurge Yaldabaoth from whom a kind of monotheistic creator god emerged and from which the later Yahweh came from in the form of Yahweh Shabboth or God of the Armies fashioned after the greek god Aries.

But if the other works for ya.
And we can read what some of the Old Testament kings did to the Asherah, priests of Baal and the groves when they were made aware of the punishment from God that was looming because of demonic worship and causing their children to pass thru the fire.

10 point

Reminds me of the album cover of the "Houses of the Holy". Led Zep. Thanks to Jimmy Page.

Man, nothing's truly new in that realm.

wkmac

Look up the hebrew word for groves, trees etc. It's the word Asherah. The fertility goddess, mother nature if you will.

The bible translators/editors are trying to hide the dripping polytheism of the Old Testament.

moreluck

golden ticket member
mospeaks.jpg

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And they get along with which other religion? Go ahead, if you can, and name just 1 religious group that the Muslims live in peace with.
You can win this argument if you can name that religion. But you can't. We all know you can't.

They don't even get along with members of their same religion who are in different "sects"

Shiite's and Sunni's can't even get along with EACH OTHER while believing mostly the same stuff.

You guys can try to make it that we are "pigeon holing" an entire religion based on a "tiny minority". How many people are living in that lovely "crap-i-phate" that isis has created? It;s not a small number of people. You may not worry about them continuing to spread their message of hate, death and destruction, and that's your right. I, however, will be vigilant and prepared to execute any terrorist or terrorist sympathizer who wants to spread his message of jihad and Al uh

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
If no depictions of Mohammed are allowed EVER. Why does our Supreme Court have a depiction of Mohammed amoung others?
Is it allowed or not?
And does the US need to seriously beef up security around the Supreme Court?

wkmac

So who is Yahweh? Who is this monotheistic god of the post exodus peoples called the Israelites? When did this name appear in the historical and archeological record?

Yahweh

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
So who is Yahweh? Who is this monotheistic god of the post exodus peoples called the Israelites? When did this name appear in the historical and archeological record?

Yahweh
It doesn't matter. No one is killing in the name of Yahweh.
You do understand this, don't you troll?