The religion of peace strikes again...

wkmac

Another fictional character. Much like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Spiderman, Gilligan, etc.

That may well be true but even fictional characters in myth can offer a teaching moment. I'm not so much interested in throwing out the baby with the bathwater as much as just throwing out literalism. Odysseus journey was myth but it didn't lack for life lessons either. Fact is I find the similarities of Odysseus to the Jesus in Mark's gospel rather compelling. Might suggest the same stories told over and over again just through different characters and cultural lenses. Now that fascinates me.

10 point

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

I'm not perfect. So I don't judge anyone else.
Does that surprise you coming from the party of family values?
That statement is somewhat a blanket condemnation of the Christian faith. It's immaterial to me how you degrade others beliefs but I'm surprised at how disrespectful comments are written without separating the intent from human shortcomings and failures.

We can all admit that we've done things that, whether recent or past, we wish we could take back or redo.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

I'm not perfect. So I don't judge anyone else.

That statement is somewhat a blanket condemnation of the Christian faith. It's immaterial to me how you degrade others beliefs but I'm surprised at how disrespectful comments are written without separating the intent from human shortcomings and failures.

We can all admit that we've done things that, whether recent or past, we wish we could take back or redo.
I agree we are all responsible for our own actions and should be free to live our lives as we see fit.
The issue I have is when christians try and legislate how I should live mine.
What I do in my bedroom and who I choose to marry is none of their damn business.
What my wife chooses to do regarding birth control or pregnancy is none of their damn business.
In a nutshell, don't legislate your morality onto me or anyone else.

10 point

I agree we are all responsible for our own actions and should be free to live our lives as we see fit.
The issue I have is when christians try and legislate how I should live mine.
What I do in my bedroom and who I choose to marry is none of their damn business.
What my wife chooses to do regarding birth control or pregnancy is none of their damn business.
In a nutshell, don't legislate your morality onto me or anyone else.
I'm not involved in legislating my morality onto anyone if you meant me in the word "your". I presume you didn't but just in case.

You have free will. How I believe (and other Christians) has no bearing on your free will.

If by legislation you mean the courts rendering decisions based on personal convictions, well, I believe that is in the hands of those in those positions and only time will tell what is true and just.
I can only live out my convictions with the sense of responsibility and remember my personal debt to the One that gives me peace in hard times and love for those around me.
I would never disrespect your beliefs or lack of them and I appreciate your honesty.

bbsam

Staff member
Look up the hebrew word for groves, trees etc. It's the word Asherah. The fertility goddess, mother nature if you will.

The bible translators/editors are trying to hide the dripping polytheism of the Old Testament.
Really? I was always taught that the commandment, "Though shalt not have any other gods before me." had the understood implication of polytheism.

bbsam

Staff member
That may well be true but even fictional characters in myth can offer a teaching moment. I'm not so much interested in throwing out the baby with the bathwater as much as just throwing out literalism. Odysseus journey was myth but it didn't lack for life lessons either. Fact is I find the similarities of Odysseus to the Jesus in Mark's gospel rather compelling. Might suggest the same stories told over and over again just through different characters and cultural lenses. Now that fascinates me.
Same stories over and over...as if someone or something is saying, "Hey, stupid! Pay attention!! This is kinda important!!"

wkmac

Really? I was always taught that the commandment, "Though shalt not have any other gods before me." had the understood implication of polytheism.

Me too. But were we taught that Israel was a polytheistic culture, shown the improper translations to understand it or were we taught the idea they believed in one god and therefore we were to accept the idea of just one god too?

Seems to me when one learns the dripping polytheism of the Old Testament, the dogmatic literalism flies out the window and things like the creation story, the Flood story and even the fall of man among other things become myth and nothing more. There may well be a lesson in allegory or metaphor but that's not history, it's just a story.

wkmac

Same stories over and over...as if someone or something is saying, "Hey, stupid! Pay attention!! This is kinda important!!"

That may be true but it's not on a literalist level IMO. In other words, it ain't history. More of an esoteric, wait I have an even better word, it's more of an "OCCULTED" thing going on!

Before you wale and gnash teeth, use "etymology" to discover the meaning here. ;)