The religion of peace strikes again...

MAKAVELI

Banned
I know someone who has 5 degrees......two of them are Master's degrees.

This person has no common sense and doesn't have enough sense to pound sand in a rat hole.

A degree doesn't necessarily mean you're smart. It means you have developed the skills to succeed in the curriculum presented by instructors.
There is a difference between being book smart or street smart. The combination being a rarity. If one has both, look out now.

newfie

Anyone who gets a degree in Chemical Engineering is intelligent. Not an easy subject. And, yes, I think a fixation on religion is a frequent substitute for higher learning. College teaches you critical thinking skills, which have to be abandoned if you decide to believe in a religion (any of them), because all of them depend on faith, not proof.

college teaches you Liberal critical thinking skills.
I don't see the relationship between chemical engineering and critical thinking skills?

you realize your fawnee has a chemical engineering degree while moving cardboard?

wkmac

Actually critical thinking in fact does come from a liberal philosophic tradition so on that charge, you are correct. The word liberal just as the word conservative has become abused as a result of 20th century politics and statism. Prior too, the word liberal meant something else indeed and without "liberals" the ideal of the origins of America if not America itself would not even exist. Because the current ideal has so corrupted badly the word doesn't mean the word itself is valueless and thus in need of abandonment. I consider the ignorance of the user of the term, on both side of it, rather than the unworthiness of the word.

With all forms of engineering, critical thinking does indeed play a role. In my own world of engineering, in the case of a failure, I use root cause analysis which is a form of critical thinking in order to determine the root cause of a failure. Thus we arrive at a preventative measure and can even go so far to arrive at a possible predictive measure. Moving into predictive engineering makes me one of the few people at UPS whose true job is to discover a means to eliminate my own need. I once left a Corp. PE manager speechless who made the mistake of asking me what the purpose of my job was. His own fallacy of built in assumptions left him vulnerable to what I had to say. Never tell them what they want to hear that just re-enforces their assumptions! ;)

I know someone who has 4 degrees including a degree in economics from Ga. Tech and he drives feeder and did so while earning those 4 degrees. Another feeder who has a degree in education and could be a teacher. I also know a Phd who runs and owns his own tree service because he loves the outdoors and trees. He's also a certified arborist who is helping me try and save my young Red Oak as we speak from a fungal attack.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
college teaches you Liberal critical thinking skills.
I don't see the relationship between chemical engineering and critical thinking skills?

you realize your fawnee has a chemical engineering degree while moving cardboard?
Obviously you are not a member of MENSA.

upsgrunt

I have a degree from the 5th best engineering school in the country, I lean Republican, and I'm a Christian. What the hell went wrong?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have a degree from the 5th best engineering school in the country, I lean Republican, and I'm a Christian. What the hell went wrong?

You're an anomaly. The fact that you believe in a flawed document like the Bible (your right to do so) indicates you have poor critical thinking skills. There are countless contradictions in the book.

upsgrunt

You're an anomaly. The fact that you believe in a flawed document like the Bible (your right to do so) indicates you have poor critical thinking skills. There are countless contradictions in the book.

What does your closed minded, race baiting, delusions of superiority, indicate about your critical thinking?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
-
What does your closed minded, race baiting, delusions of superiority, indicate about your critical thinking?

OK, if you say so. When I drive across a bridge, I want it to be designed by someone who deals in fact, not fiction. My feelings are extremely hurt by your microagression (retarded word that ticks-off conservatives) and God complex.

upsgrunt

OK, Socrates
If all Christians have poor critical thinking skills, what does that say about your wife and kids, who are Christians, decision to marry, love, and stay with you? Did they make a mistake?