The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453244/manafort-indictment-no-signs-trump-russia-collusion

It may well be that Manafort and Gates made false statements when they belatedly registered as foreign agents, but it appears that Mueller’s office has turned one offense into two, an abusive prosecutorial tactic that flouts congressional intent. Specifically, Congress considers false statements in the specific context of foreign-agent registration to be a misdemeanor calling for zero to six months’ imprisonment. (See Section 622(a)(2) of Title 22, U.S. Code.) That is the offense Mueller charges in Count Eleven. But then, for good measure, Mueller adds a second false-statement count (Count Twelve) for the same conduct — charged under the penal-code section (Section 1001 of Title 18, U.S. Code) that makes any falsity or material omission in a statement to government officials a felony punishable by up to five years’ imprisonment. Obviously, one cannot make a false statement on the foreign-agent registration form without also making a false statement to the government. Consequently, expect Manafort to argue that Mueller has violated double-jeopardy principles by charging the same exact offense in two separate counts, and that the special counsel is undermining Congress’s intent that the offense of providing false information on a foreign-agent registration form be considered merely a misdemeanor. Finally, the money-laundering conspiracy allegation (Count Two) seems far from slam-dunk. For someone to be guilty of laundering, the money involved has to be the proceeds of criminal activity before the accused starts concealing it by (a) moving it through accounts or changing its form by buying assets, etc., or (b) dodging a reporting requirement under federal law.

Read more at: The Manafort Indictment: Not Much There, and a Boon for Trump

Box Ox

What can be, unburdened by what has been.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453244/manafort-indictment-no-signs-trump-russia-collusion

It may well be that Manafort and Gates made false statements when they belatedly registered as foreign agents, but it appears that Mueller’s office has turned one offense into two, an abusive prosecutorial tactic that flouts congressional intent. Specifically, Congress considers false statements in the specific context of foreign-agent registration to be a misdemeanor calling for zero to six months’ imprisonment. (See Section 622(a)(2) of Title 22, U.S. Code.) That is the offense Mueller charges in Count Eleven. But then, for good measure, Mueller adds a second false-statement count (Count Twelve) for the same conduct — charged under the penal-code section (Section 1001 of Title 18, U.S. Code) that makes any falsity or material omission in a statement to government officials a felony punishable by up to five years’ imprisonment. Obviously, one cannot make a false statement on the foreign-agent registration form without also making a false statement to the government. Consequently, expect Manafort to argue that Mueller has violated double-jeopardy principles by charging the same exact offense in two separate counts, and that the special counsel is undermining Congress’s intent that the offense of providing false information on a foreign-agent registration form be considered merely a misdemeanor. Finally, the money-laundering conspiracy allegation (Count Two) seems far from slam-dunk. For someone to be guilty of laundering, the money involved has to be the proceeds of criminal activity before the accused starts concealing it by (a) moving it through accounts or changing its form by buying assets, etc., or (b) dodging a reporting requirement under federal law.

Well, sounds like Manafort has nothing to worry about. Let's pack it up, boys, nothing to see here! Time to try and fire Mueller if he keeps "witch hunting"! LOL

Conservatives can spin it any way they want, but the Administration is in some deep :censored2:. If Democrats are involved, I hope they're charged too. We need to get this :censored2: out of our government.

It will be fine

Well, sounds like Manafort has nothing to worry about. Let's pack it up, boys, nothing to see here! Time to try and fire Mueller if he keeps "witch hunting"! LOL

Conservatives can spin it any way they want, but the Administration is in some deep :censored2:. If Democrats are involved, I hope they're charged too. We need to get this :censored2: out of our government.
It's going to take some major overhaul of our campaign finance system to help prevent this mess from happening again. Citizens united guaranteed a massive infusion of foreign money into our politics. It's not surprising foreign powers paid people within campaigns to gain influence and properly target their ads.

bbsam

Staff member

I'm sure everyone in the administration is happy they can send their lawyers home now.

rickyb

interesting that ralph nader retweeted:

Public Citizen

Urge Your Senators to Protect Mueller and His Russia Investigation

We deserve answers about Russian interference in our elections. And the clearest path to get them is through Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

Now that Mueller’s work has produced indictments and a guilty plea, it’s in danger of being stopped by President Donald Trump.

You can help protect this investigation by calling your U.S. senators now.

It takes just a minute or two. And don’t worry, you won’t have to debate policy with anybody!

Here’s how easy it is:

1. Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected with one of your senators.

2. Tell the staffer who answers the phone: “We deserve answers about Russian interference in our elections. I am calling to urge [Senator NAME] to protect Robert Mueller’s investigation by co-sponsoring the Special Counsel Integrity Act and the Special Counsel Independence Protection Act (S. 1735 & S. 1741).”

3. Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard again at (202) 224-3121 to be connected with your other U.S. senator and repeat step 2.

Please use the space below to let us know how your calls went.

Box Ox

I'm sure everyone in the administration is happy they can send their lawyers home now.

Think the key is that Mueller knows a lot more than we know he knows. And he's going to unravel this thing and work this case up the tree as deftly and procedurally as is humanly possible.

Because of this, conservatives are going to scream things like "Weak case, it's a witch hunt, fire Mueller!". We cannot let that happen. We couldn't let it happen if it were a Democratic administration being investigated. People need to understand that this should 200% trascend any sort of political loyalty or beliefs.

teamer

Think the key is that Mueller knows a lot more than we know he knows. And he's going to unravel this thing and work this case up the tree as deftly and procedurally as is humanly possible.

so you hope and pray. the problem is someone has to cooperate with a game play everyone knows is being run.

floridays

Have you provided one link to an outside source to back up any of you claims, or to dispute any of the other posters claims?
Despite all your bluster and braggadocio you have yet to cite anything but your own thoughts as proof that you are right. I know you think that you are hot snot on silver platter, but your posts show the truth that you are just a cold booger on a paper plate
Hey I resemble that remark.

floridays

I'm sorry. You just don't seem to be happy with any facts.

Look. The Donald decided he wanted to live in the swamp.

The swamp's a nasty place.
I'll wait for the trial of Donald J Trump, your President and see what the jury deems as fact. And no, I'm not saying, and don't even imply there will be a trial of Donald J Trump your President.
Just had to put the last sentence in because your next question would be, "So you agree he did something and there will be a trial?

bbsam

Staff member
I'll wait for the trial of Donald J Trump, your President and see what the jury deems as fact. And no, I'm not saying, and don't even imply there will be a trial of Donald J Trump your President.
Just had to put the last sentence in because your next question would be, "So you agree he did something and there will be a trial?

I don't know if there will be a trial.

I don't think the investigation is close to finished.

I think the president is very nervous for himself and his family.

I think he should be.

Box Ox

I think he should be.

Yep. No reason to melt down on Twitter over this if you know you and yours are innocent and will ultimately be vindicated.

It will be fine

Yep. No reason to melt down on Twitter over this if you know you and yours are innocent and will ultimately be vindicated.
Idk, I thinks he's melted down on twitter for far less. It doesn't take much to set him off. I'm surprised he heard about it though, wasn't much coverage on Fox.

Box Ox

Idk, I thinks he's melted down on twitter for far less. It doesn't take much to set him off. I'm surprised he heard about it though, wasn't much coverage on Fox.

The late night shows loved to point out that the big story over there was Google getting the cheeseburger emoji wrong (cheese is on the bottom) in its latest Android update. Lol

vantexan

I think he should be.
I find it humorous how many times I've been told that Hillary is old news, we should focus on the current administration, and yet the big indictment was over something done over ten years ago by Trump's campaign manager who was fired from the campaign and wasn't involved with Trump when he allegedly did something wrong all those years ago. And Trump should be nervous? If this thing is one sided, and Mueller doesn't go after Tony Podesta and his brother John, and thus Hillary, then obviously this is nothing but an attempt to bring down Trump.

bbsam

Staff member
I find it humorous how many times I've been told that Hillary is old news, we should focus on the current administration, and yet the big indictment was over something done over ten years ago by Trump's campaign manager who was fired from the campaign and wasn't involved with Trump when he allegedly did something wrong all those years ago. And Trump should be nervous? If this thing is one sided, and Mueller doesn't go after Tony Podesta and his brother John, and thus Hillary, then obviously this is nothing but an attempt to bring down Trump.
Yes. Trump should be nervous.