The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
no I'm saying i don't know if you lose your clearance, that has to be revoked and the Obama administration didn't do it
Gotcha. They don't revoke your clearance without cause, thats why he still had it. If he had been fired for some security related issue then yeah it would have been revoked.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, once they fired him he no longer had access.
Once Trump fired him ... yes.
Not when Clapper dismissed him ...
His clearance was approved twice during the Obama administration.
True per Politifact.
Politifact-true.png

Trump: Obama admin gave Michael Flynn security clearance

Retired military officials can keep their security clearances, with periodic background checks. Flynn’s last two background checks to retain his security clearance took place during the Obama administration, in June 2010 and January 2016, according to the April 7 DIA letter.

It will be fine

True per Politifact.
View attachment 132634

Retired military officials can keep their security clearances, with periodic background checks. Flynn’s last two background checks to retain his security clearance took place during the Obama administration, in June 2010 and January 2016, according to the April 7 DIA letter.
It's common to keep clearance after leaving. This way future administrations can bring experts back if they have experience with certain international situations or people.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
True per Politifact.
View attachment 132634

Having a security clearance isn't the same as having access. Once Clapper dismissed him he no longer had access.

It will be fine

After you fire that person?
I think it's routine not to revoke clearance. They fired him for being a d-bag, not for some security issue. It wasn't until after his retirement that he started working for foreign governments. We don't know what information he had or what relationships he had that may have been beneficial at the time he was terminated. They might have felt he could still be a useful asset if the need arose.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He retired when he left the DIA.
He retired from the military in 2014 after he was fired from DIA.
He was fired by Clapper/Obama from his job as Director of DIA ... "Flynn has said he was pushed out for holding tougher views than Obama about Islamic extremism. Clapper said he was fired for insubordination.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They fired him for being a d-bag, not for some security issue.
They fired him for telling the truth ... Obummer's insistence on not using the term Muslim Jihadist or Muslim Terrorist (which Flynn used) and because Flynn was critical of Obummer's not taking Muslim Jihadists as a serious threat.
You can see how he would have been a natural fit for Trump.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's common to keep clearance after leaving. This way future administrations can bring experts back if they have experience with certain international situations or people.
It's all Flynn's fault ... on that I can agree.
If one is going to disparage Trump then it is only logical to disparage Obama as well.
Each administration is equally lacking and as national security adviser, Flynn required no Senate confirmation vote or extreme vetting of his record.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Depends on what you mean by 'access'.
He was approved to see classified material in the possession of others that had access.
Absolutely not. That's not how it works at all. Having a clearance means that you can get a job which requires that clearance, it's not a blanket authorization to view classified material.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Absolutely not. That's not how it works at all. Having a clearance means that you can get a job which requires that clearance, it's not a blanket authorization to view classified material.
But ... I've seen this in the movies. LOL
I wasn't sure ... I'll investigate more.