Trump's Right to Work legislation. Where does it leave us?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Completely different situation. It is illegal for federal government employees to strike. It is not illegal for you guys to strike. The only union employees at UPS that can be blocked from striking are the pilots, as they fall under the railway labor act.

I think his question was less about the legality and more about whether the govt would put us back to work "in the national interest".

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This isn't Trump as I read it.

The Union better figure ways to freeze out those that don't join.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This isn't Trump as I read it.
A republican congress can write the law but they still need a republican president to sign it. All indications are that Trump will.

The Union better figure ways to freeze out those that don't join.
They are specifically prohibited from doing that by the "right to work" laws, because the real goal of those laws has nothing to do with "right to work" and everything to do with breaking the unions through attrition.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A republican congress can write the law but they still need a republican president to sign it. All indications are that Trump will.

They are specifically prohibited from doing that by the "right to work" laws, because the real goal of those laws has nothing to do with "right to work" and everything to do with breaking the unions through attrition.
You break the union and then the company can do whatever they want. So at that point, where did the freeloading get you?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You break the union and then the company can do whatever they want. So at that point, where did the freeloading get you?
The folks who are writing these laws don't actually care about the freeloaders, they just see them as a tool to bleed the unions. The freeloaders themselves are too shortsighted to see that they are screwing themselves (and all the rest of us) in the long run, all they see is that they can get the same benefits without paying for it. I'm in a rtw state and I see this all the time.

km3

I'd hate for that to happen, but it would be interesting to watch as well. They can't keep people here as it is. Takes less than a year to go full-time, which develops into a 80k-100k job without any education. Free health benefits after a year, which, for all the crap it gets from some employees, is still far and away better than anything you can get from just about any other employer.

If we can't keep people now, wait until UPS can take away 6 weeks of vacation time, annual raises, healthcare, drop driver pay down to $20/hr (if that), etc.. Like I said, it would be interesting to see what happens.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'd hate for that to happen, but it would be interesting to watch as well. They can't keep people here as it is. Takes less than a year to go full-time, which develops into a 80k-100k job without any education. Free health benefits after a year, which, for all the crap it gets from some employees, is still far and away better than anything you can get from just about any other employer.

If we can't keep people now, wait until UPS can take away 6 weeks of vacation time, annual raises, healthcare, drop driver pay down to $20/hr (if that), etc.. Like I said, it would be interesting to see what happens.
You're assuming they would try and keep the same workforce structure in conjunction with all that. Without the union they could actually eliminate most full time jobs and instead have a part time shift in the morning that worked 4-6 hours making deliveries and another part time shift in the afternoon that made all the pickups, stuff like that. With the vastly reduced pay and benefits they wouldn't be under so much pressure for production so they could ease up on the standards and the workers wouldn't feel so harassed, they would probably do more stuff like company picnics and such to keep everyone happy. It would be a lot different company.

Browndriver5

You're assuming they would try and keep the same workforce structure in conjunction with all that. Without the union they could actually eliminate most full time jobs and instead have a part time shift in the morning that worked 4-6 hours making deliveries and another part time shift in the afternoon that made all the pickups, stuff like that. With the vastly reduced pay and benefits they wouldn't be under so much pressure for production so they could ease up on the standards and the workers wouldn't feel so harassed, they would probably do more stuff like company picnics and such to keep everyone happy. It would be a lot different company.

This may have been the funniest thing I've read in my entire life. Ups would still feel the pressure from Amazon and Fed Ex. Ask any fed ex driver how they like working for their :censored2:ty company with no standards. Ups would be a bigger hell hole than it is now....company picnics HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

El Correcto

god is dead
I filed paperwork with my shop steward day one, I was in the union right after making seniority. I don't like to see other employees fail but if they aren't paying dues I'm not hoping they succeed either.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
The union if responsible, would watch costs. Be more competitive.
There’s barely any private sector unionization at all in this country, come on.

RTW shouldn’t exist at all, but so long as it does if you don’t join you should have to negotiate your own compensation and get no representation.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I am against the fact that unions are forced to provide services for non-paying, non-members. But RTW isn't only about unions. Non-RTW states are known as At-Will, that means either the employer or employee can terminate employment for no reason or any reason that is not illegal at any time. My state is At Will, and unions are no more prevalent here than other states. RTW gives employees some protections against being discharged for no reason, and there wouldn't be a need for that protection if unions have been better at organizing. I'm not sure that RTW weakens unions, or if RTW exists because unions have been weak.

PT Car Washer

I am against the fact that unions are forced to provide services for non-paying, non-members. But RTW isn't only about unions. Non-RTW states are known as At-Will, that means either the employer or employee can terminate employment for no reason or any reason that is not illegal at any time. My state is At Will, and unions are no more prevalent here than other states. RTW gives employees some protections against being discharged for no reason, and there wouldn't be a need for that protection if unions have been better at organizing. I'm not sure that RTW weakens unions, or if RTW exists because unions have been weak.
RTW laws are a Republican plan to destroy Unions in this country. Why would anyone pay Union dues when they have the same benefits and protection as dues paying members? I can understand starting PT employees questioning why they should pay dues for a minimum wage PT job with no benefits. Same with 22.4 delivery drivers being paid half the wages with no excessive OT protection as regular delivery drivers.