UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Of course the union would continue talks if the company were to come up with an improved offer next weekend in the event no agreement were to be reached by the 5th. O'Brien knows there's a potential PR downside and loss of leverage if his public announcements and tough posturing crossed the threshold into being unreasonable with 3 weeks and change to go until the current deal expires.

I can remember back in 2002 where there was still no deal in sight at this stage of the process with union rep Tom Keagel employing the same sort of public remarks SOB used just days ago stating back then that the company needed to "get serious". A few days after that, Hoffa entered the negotiating room for the first time and told the company's side of the room that if substantial progress wasn't made by the end of that session, they would face a walkout by the union negotiators with roughly 3 weeks remaining and thus increasing the possibility of customers scrambling towards the competion at an increasingly accelerated rate. With two weeks remaining before August 1st, there was a handshake agreement.

Many of us have been through this before. There might have been one contract after that one that was agreed to well over a year before the expiration of the then-existing deal, but other than that most have always been contentious and often bitter drawn out affairs. The current union leadership made no secret of their intentions while running for the positions they now hold to take a tougher stance toward management than their predecessors had. So far things have unfolded much as they predicted.

The Day after Independence was probably in place already, it would be very fitting if the Company came back with an acceptable agreement.

Also the timetable of presenting the tentative to the locals, them accepting it and then get the ballots out to the 350,000 members.

Providing the proper amount of time for voting (2 weeks) and then have the ballots counted.

Can it all be done by August first ?

We still do not know if those two outstanding supplements were agreed, that could hold up the voting on the Master also.

Really it would be on the Company’s head if all this goes past the deadline. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

O’Brien set the deadline “8 months ago”.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

The Day after Independence was probably in place already, it would be very fitting if the Company came back with an acceptable agreement.

Also the timetable of presenting the tentative to the locals, them accepting it and then get the ballots out to the 350,000 members.

Providing the proper amount of time for voting (2 weeks) and then have the ballots counted.

Can it all be done by August first ?

We still do not know if those two outstanding supplements were agreed, that could hold up the voting on the Master also.

Really it would be on the Company’s head if all this goes past the deadline. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

O’Brien set the deadline “8 months ago”.
Supposedly Nor Cal and Louisville are finished suspiciously without much fanfare.

I believe we will be voting in person

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Supposedly Nor Cal and Louisville are finished suspiciously without much fanfare.

I believe we will be voting in person

The Union could have been testing the “voting in person “ process with the previous strike vote. Trying to remember if that one was done by phone or mail ?

That could save a lot of time and give the Company and the Union the option just in case the rank and file rejects the first tentative.

I am pretty sure that O’Brien will not send a Contract to the members unless his demands are met.

some1else

Banned
. Like I said if any FTer thinks the most important issue is raises you’re doing something wrong. You have too many new toys. I haven’t taken the yearly raise in five years. A week before it kicks in I bump up my 401k to the equivalent. Way more important issues than whether we get $1 or $2 per year. It’d be nice to get big yearly bumps for the life of this contract, but it’s not top of mind IMO. People disagree that’s fine I understand. PTers need to be made right. No inward cameras, no forced sixth day which I thankfully never had to deal with-177. An end to PVD’s, an end to second class 22.4 citizens.
the cheapest one bedroom apartment within an hour of my building is just under 2000$. Same one when I was making 30$ was 700$. It takes 47hr to pay for an apartment when we made 30 it only took me 23hr. I think you guys in the lower cost of living areas that say raises don’t matter do make a good point. We should have a base rate with an adjustment for the local area cost of living. You guys keep telling us you don’t need any money and we believe you.

ManInBrown

the cheapest one bedroom apartment within an hour of my building is just under 2000$. Same one when I was making 30$ was 700$. It takes 47hr to pay for an apartment when we made 30 it only took me 23hr. I think you guys in the lower cost of living areas that say raises don’t matter do make a good point. We should have a base rate with an adjustment for the local area cost of living. You guys keep telling us you don’t need any money and we believe you.
I live in the most expensive state in the country.

Maggot87

Who thinks they are trying to improve progression or shorten it still? I think it is setup horribly, should be higher start and more consistent raises if keeping 4 years. I loved the idea of each year being a percent of top rate, 70% 75% 80% 90% and 100% doubt we get that lucky though

Thebrownblob

I love LA only $450k
812 Record Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90063 | MLS #DW22249729 | Zillow
1688477947700.png

Thebrownblob

Nice article also.
Yep interesting time capsule, Said it was a bad area in 1946 what would they consider it now? I was born, not too far from there in Norwalk California, and we lived in Bell Gardens until I was seven or eight. Drove through there not too long ago when we were visiting California. It was like being in the third world country.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Yep interesting time capsule, Said it was a bad area in 1946 what would they consider it now? I was born, not too far from there in Norwalk California, and we lived in Bell Gardens until I was seven or eight. Drove through there not too long ago when we were visiting California. It was like being in the third world country.
Sad

some1else

Banned
What percent of top drivers monthly pay for a basic apartment do you think is “a fair days pay”? With taxes it’s 30% right now. If you guys get us 90c per year raises it will be close to 2 paychecks for rent. I don’t come here often enough to tell if the people pushing this are paid company shills or what. Every other contract is getting 20-25% and you guys are saying you would be happy with 7-8%

Trash Panda

Who thinks they are trying to improve progression or shorten it still? I think it is setup horribly, should be higher start and more consistent raises if keeping 4 years. I loved the idea of each year being a percent of top rate, 70% 75% 80% 90% and 100% doubt we get that lucky though
They will need to do something with it. If they skyrocket top rate then they can adjust progression but right now in our local feeder progression is stuck at $32. Which is well above year 3 rate. Thats just to keep people in the seats.

Thebrownblob

What percent of top drivers monthly pay for a basic apartment do you think is “a fair days pay”? With taxes it’s 30% right now. If you guys get us 90c per year raises it will be close to 2 paychecks for rent. I don’t come here often enough to tell if the people pushing this are paid company shills or what. Every other contract is getting 20-25% and you guys are saying you would be happy with 7-8%
I have been involved in several contracts negotiations in the last year and you’re correct. Most of them are getting 20 to 30%. But none of them were even close to where we started. and none of them have even close to the amount of pension and insurance that we do. I’m all for getting the biggest raise possible but I’m not gonna live in the fantasy land. I’ve already stated I think 15 to 16% over five years would be very good.

I have been involved in several contracts negotiations in the last year and you’re correct. Most of them are getting 20 to 30%. But none of them were even close to where we started. and none of them have even close to the amount of pension and insurance that we do. I’m all for getting the biggest raise possible but I’m not gonna live in the fantasy land. I’ve already stated I think 15 to 16% over five years would be very good.
We got 15% in 97