What will happen to the express Drivers....

It will be fine

I agree. Raj said employees and contract employees will be working side by side. Is that good for you?
I operate in a major metro market. There is already Express and UPS within a few miles of my station. This change won’t make any difference. I already have to compete with other companies for workers.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I'm having a difficult time understanding how the optimization of routes will be handled once all this is implemented. Will IC's be required to adhere to these AI plotted routes? If so, where does the "independent" come in? It appears that the contractors themselves will be dispensable. There are companies who lease employees to other companies, with fringe benefits, that would address all the negative aspects by placing control of the leased employee under local management, at a lower cost.

Win-win for Federal.

Serf

E star is/was a total failure. But now what was the common consensus of keeping Express employees as coworkers with the majority contractor work force?
And can you depend on a majority contractor/transient labor force?

It will be fine

E star is/was a total failure. But now what was the common consensus of keeping Express employees as coworkers with the majority contractor work force?
And can you depend on a majority contractor/transient labor force?
FedEx Ground has depended on a transient contractor workforce for decades. Somehow we manage to deliver 10 million packages a day.

bacha29

Funny that your speculations="facts"
Stop and think for a moment about this. FDX in it's current form is a holding company. It still reigns supreme over the OPCO's it holds.
Now if the restructuring is on the scale it appears, a lot people are going to lose their job involuntarily.
Let's say a bunch of them get together and file a class action law suit.
They get their day in court. Fat Freddy's little gang shows up and moves for dismissal on the grounds that the company they worked for doesn't exist anymore because it ceased operations at the direction of the parent firm and holding company which they will say they're entitled to do. Strong possibility the judge will see it their way.

Heading down a road they're not too familiar with or what they'll find at the other end it only makes sense that you get your back side covered well enough to limit your exposure to litigation that could cost you many millions as best you can.

Keep in mind the out of court settlement of the multi state class action with contractors over the question of whether they were
contractors or employees just from the cash payment to contractors alone cost them $650 million dollars.

They won't make that same mistake twice.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx Ground has depended on a transient contractor workforce for decades. Somehow we manage to deliver 10 million packages a day.
And forge customer signatures, release critical or high value packages without a second thought, let pickups sit for days so customers can take it out on Express employees. And don’t even get me started on your misdeliveries. You guys are gonna need to change your bad habits real fast.

Lates

Heard a lot of gossip but nothing concrete.
Figures thought about transferring down there but the uncertainty is to much have no interest in being a swing working a split shift with an hour commute. Could see them consolidating some management pretty quickly. Our senior has been useless during this he came down last Friday and hid in an office till we went on road.