When Will You Retire?

Oldfart

Better hope the new insurance plan is better than Obamacare. Any insurance available on the open market is priced out of most people's budget and our retire insurance just had a huge increase. Yep, Obamacare worked out great for everybody didn't it.

bacha29

Better hope the new insurance plan is better than Obamacare. Any insurance available on the open market is priced out of most people's budget and our retire insurance just had a huge increase. Yep, Obamacare worked out great for everybody didn't it.
Three main problems with Obamacare. People enrolled payed the discounted premiums for a few months had the long overdue procedures done then drop out. Two. The Koch brothers had young adults believing that if they paid the penalty they would receive insurance. Three. For the first 4 years of the program the federal government agreed to cover the losses that insurers who participated in the program incurred. As a result many insurers badly under priced their products just to get people to sign up. When the covered losses program ended they could no longer under price their policies. And with or without Obamacare health insurance premiums will continue to rise at a rate higher than inflation. Keep something in mind. One of the components of Obamacare was to help struggling rural hospitals to survive. It's end will mean that things will go back to the way they were before. The only paying patients they had were those with insurance. Coverage will again be denied on the basis of preexisting medical conditions.

vantexan

Three main problems with Obamacare. People enrolled payed the discounted premiums for a few months had the long overdue procedures done then drop out. Two. The Koch brothers had young adults believing that if they paid the penalty they would receive insurance. Three. For the first 4 years of the program the federal government agreed to cover the losses that insurers who participated in the program incurred. As a result many insurers badly under priced their products just to get people to sign up. When the covered losses program ended they could no longer under price their policies. And with or without Obamacare health insurance premiums will continue to rise at a rate higher than inflation. Keep something in mind. One of the components of Obamacare was to help struggling rural hospitals to survive. It's end will mean that things will go back to the way they were before. The only paying patients they had were those with insurance. Coverage will again be denied on the basis of preexisting medical conditions.
Don't worry, according to you we'll all end up in nursing homes. I agree, the Koch brothers told me it's true!! Fake News Alert!!! :runcirclsmiley2::panicsmiley:

bacha29

Don't worry, according to you we'll all end up in nursing homes. I agree, the Koch brothers told me it's true!! Fake News Alert!!! :runcirclsmiley2::panicsmiley:
There were 70 million people born in this country between 1945-1965. In the progressive state where I live the state has the power to take an elderly/disabled person out of the surroundings they are in and that includes private homes and place them some place where they will get the care they need if it's not being provided where they were.Then again, this should be of no concern to you given that you're going to Meckico the retirement paradise.At the same time I don't think that your care givers Maria and Conchita ( wages $ 2 a day) are going to worry too much if you've been laying there in your own :censored2: for a week and your blood sugar is 985.

vantexan

There were 70 million people born in this country between 1945-1965. In the progressive state where I live the state has the power to take an elderly/disabled person out of the surroundings they are in and that includes private homes and place them some place where they will get the care they need if it's not being provided where they were.Then again, this should be of no concern to you given that you're going to Meckico the retirement paradise.At the same time I don't think that your care givers Maria and Conchita ( wages $ 2 a day) are going to worry too much if you've been laying there in your own :censored2: for a week and your blood sugar is 985.
Actually there are firms in Mexico who see the need for affordable assisted living for Americans and are building facilities to fill that void. Considering what's being charged up here and Mexico has become even more affordable don't be surprised to see a steady stream of gringos headed south. I suspect the well trained nurses down there looking for decent wages will care very much. They still respect the elderly in Mexico.

Serf

You sound like my grandfather who was a well driller. Was working in 95 degree heat the day before he died at 82. Nothing wrong with that, he loved what he did.
God willing. And health sustains. Maybe I will change my mind. But as for now, my idea of retirement is unorthodox at best. I see old timers in the mall, just killing time; walking. I see them having coffee in McDonald's, just killing time, talking. Watching Matlock, fake news, and Atlanta Braves baseball on TBS. Nothing wrong with that. Just a foreign concept to me. Back home men work on the piers long past 70 if able. Same goes for merchants, etc. Go to Mexico and consume as much of the beach as possible, go to the mountains. Just live!

BrownInTx

Just paid 200 for my son's glasses with our insurance. I was like Umm lady you sure you used my insurance. Guess it doesn't cover much.

BootsOnTarmac

I once paid $90 for what just turned out to be #1 readers (coated lense, steel frame). I got the full eye exam looking for glaucoma, etc., which was fine. Now I just go for the exam, look at my prescription, yup I need readers both eyes are the same. Off to walgreens for readers. The vision plan kinda sucks for me. The medical will cover the big / bad disease problems for my eyes anyway.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I see old timers in the mall, just killing time; walking. I see them having coffee in McDonald's, just killing time, talking. Watching Matlock
They still watch that? What is it about that show anyway? I've never even seen an episode of Matlock in my life, but I sure hope it's good because as a member of the Boomer generation it appears I'm next in line for viewing. I hope it's a lot like Breaking Bad.

vantexan

They still watch that? What is it about that show anyway? I've never even seen an episode of Matlock in my life, but I sure hope it's good because as a member of the Boomer generation it appears I'm next in line for viewing. I hope it's a lot like Breaking Bad.
It's the G rated version of Breaking Bad!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Would your progressive state by any chance be California, the land of fruits and nuts???
9lf8ldmyt6lx.jpg

Serf

What van said, but yeah. Daytime TV sucks! The only people in the malls midday on Tuesdays are rich soccer moms, strippers, or retirees. Don't fall into the trap!

rod

Retired 23 years
What van said, but yeah. Daytime TV sucks! The only people in the malls midday on Tuesdays are rich soccer moms, strippers, or retirees. Don't fall into the trap!

What's wrong with rich soccer moms and strippers? Are you gay?

Serf

What's wrong with rich soccer moms and strippers? Are you gay?
It was meant to describe people aside from the retiree who spent his or her life working hard as now spending a good portion of his time with people who do not necessarily have a good amount of moral fiber. For example, I worked X amount of years at, so now I can sit on the bench in the mall and see Soccer mom buying shoes, or stripper looking for new outfit. While sipping a Burger King coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars. And in some more time down the road, if my family cannot bear the burden. I will be in a home getting sponge bathes from Honduran nurses. Man, I lived the American dream.

vantexan

It was meant to describe people aside from the retiree who spent his or her life working hard as now spending a good portion of his time with people who do not necessarily have a good amount of moral fiber. For example, I worked X amount of years at, so now I can sit on the bench in the mall and see Soccer mom buying shoes, or stripper looking for new outfit. While sipping a Burger King coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars. And in some more time down the road, if my family cannot bear the burden. I will be in a home getting sponge bathes from Honduran nurses. Man, I lived the American dream.
You bring up a good point. If I stayed in the States I might as well be working because otherwise I'd be too poor to do anything but sit in front of the tv or hang out at the mall. And my wife would still have to work and I'd feel like a scumbag letting her carry that burden. Going to Mexico allows us to have some nice experiences, eat at some nice restaurants, take up some hobbies. Really want to try deep sea fishing.

rod

Retired 23 years
You bring up a good point. If I stayed in the States I might as well be working because otherwise I'd be too poor to do anything but sit in front of the tv or hang out at the mall. And my wife would still have to work and I'd feel like a scumbag letting her carry that burden. Going to Mexico allows us to have some nice experiences, eat at some nice restaurants, take up some hobbies. Really want to try deep sea fishing.

I don't know why people think you are going to be broke after you retire. If you play your cards right and save / invest for the future there isn't any reason to have to scrimp when you retire. If you still have a huge house payment, college loans and lots of credit card debt retirement is going to suck.

Oldfart

I don't know why people think you are going to be broke after you retire. If you play your cards right and save / invest for the future there isn't any reason to have to scrimp when you retire. If you still have a huge house payment, college loans and lots of credit card debt retirement is going to suck.
You make small sacrifices when you work and you can live like a king when you retire.

vantexan

That's fine Rod if you have a great pension and are paid enough to properly fund your 401k. What boggles my mind is when people are doing well they think everyone else is also. Maybe not you but I've known plenty of topped out FedEx couriers who think that way. Some were flat out shocked when told how little we work for and for how long we had been enduring it. Bottom line I could continue to work for a lot less than top pay or I could leave and do something else. I left.

Serf

Don't have a mortgage if you want to retire.:clap:Taxes in the northeast are borderline theft and extortion; well, at least a shakedown. To stay here and maintain a semblance of your normal lifestyle my financial adviser (fancy) says a 500k + portfolio is almost required in retirement.

I'd be too poor to do anything but sit in front of the tv or hang out at the mall.

These poor guys, some of them veterans I am sure. Nothing to do but drink bad coffee and people watch. Gracelessly expiring. All they need is the sun and rocks. Do not fret, some other seniors do this also. I remember being in a former Soviet apartment tower. The elders wearing multiple layers of clothing. Steaming water for extra heat in a 206 square foot apartment, sipping vodka.

Also, on a side note. Some of the best oysters and clams I have ever had in my life in Mexico.