When Will You Retire?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just paid 200 for my son's glasses with our insurance. I was like Umm lady you sure you used my insurance. Guess it doesn't cover much.

That's the basic problem with FedEx insurance. It's expensive coverage that is essentially unusable unless you have a major illness. They throw you a bone with the "freebies", but after that, you're up :censored2: Creek.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know why people think you are going to be broke after you retire. If you play your cards right and save / invest for the future there isn't any reason to have to scrimp when you retire. If you still have a huge house payment, college loans and lots of credit card debt retirement is going to suck.

You have an excellent UPS pension and a much higher wage. Our effective wage is further reduced by expensive benefits that are useless. Most FedEx people have a hard time figuring just how far behind UPS they are.

Employees hired after 2004 get zero pension, a small annuity, and a cheap 401k match. Not much.

Oldfart

You have an excellent UPS pension and a much higher wage. Our effective wage is further reduced by expensive benefits that are useless. Most FedEx people have a hard time figuring just how far behind UPS they are.

Employees hired after 2004 get zero pension, a small annuity, and a cheap 401k match. Not much.
I guess I am lucky. They match my 6% 401k with another 3.5%. That is over 50% match. Must be something only my district does. Bummer.

Maybe our district is the only one to get a 8% put into a second pension that pays 4% interest. We get about 12% added yearly that we can do most anything we want and leave it to most anyone we want we we pass on. I guess MFE works in the wrong district. Nice chunk of change when we retire. Too bad MFE doesn't get those same benefits.

Last edited:

bacha29

I guess I am lucky. They match my 6% 401k with another 3.5%. That is over 50% match. Must be something only my district does. Bummer.

Maybe our district is the only one to get a 8% put into a second pension that pays 4% interest. We get about 12% added yearly that we can do most anything we want and leave it to most anyone we want we we pass on. I guess MFE works in the wrong district. Nice chunk of change when we retire. Too bad MFE doesn't get those same benefits.
MFE is talking about the reduced pay and benefits awaiting the next generation of X employees and must be part of the narrative. You on the other hand talk only about yourself and the above mentioned comments are just another example of it.Pardon me, I forgot to mention the personals attacks you employ whenever somebody has a less than glorious assessment of your beloved company or brings to bear important but unflattering facts about it that you can't refute.But, when it comes to retirement you're only as good as your health is at the time of retirement and it's a job that takes a heavy toll on a person's body over time (especially Ground). X knows this and as a result has gutted it's employee health care plan to the point where it's a health care plan in name only in a obvious attempt to divest itself of as many legacy costs as possible.

Oldfart

MFE is talking about the reduced pay and benefits awaiting the next generation of X employees and must be part of the narrative. You on the other hand talk only about yourself and the above mentioned comments are just another example of it.Pardon me, I forgot to mention the personals attacks you employ whenever somebody has a less than glorious assessment of your beloved company or brings to bear important but unflattering facts about it that you can't refute.But, when it comes to retirement you're only as good as your health is at the time of retirement and it's a job that takes a heavy toll on a person's body over time (especially Ground). X knows this and as a result has gutted it's employee health care plan to the point where it's a health care plan in name only in a obvious attempt to divest itself of as many legacy costs as possible.
It is one thing to express an opinion, it is another thing to tell lies. MFE and others just don't speak the truth when they discuss certain benefits and work programs. There IS a nice 401k match, there IS a pension for new hires, even if MFE doesn't understand what that means. I will always be amazed to why people whine, cry and complain EVERYDAY about their job and say other companies pay more and have better benefits, yet they continue to punch in everyday. I know I have said that over and over, but can anyone explain why people work for companies they hate if they are convinced other companies offer a better opportunity.

vantexan

It is one thing to express an opinion, it is another thing to tell lies. MFE and others just don't speak the truth when they discuss certain benefits and work programs. There IS a nice 401k match, there IS a pension for new hires, even if MFE doesn't understand what that means. I will always be amazed to why people whine, cry and complain EVERYDAY about their job and say other companies pay more and have better benefits, yet they continue to punch in everyday. I know I have said that over and over, but can anyone explain why people work for companies they hate if they are convinced other companies offer a better opportunity.
But when you make much less than top out for 15 years then your contributions to the 401k as well as your portable pension contribution are much less. And at much lower pay it makes it much more difficult to contribute a full 6% while meeting your obligations. And at much lower pay you aren't living it up so don't talk to me about sacrifice. The fact is those of us who hung in there at lower pay sacrificed to work for this company and all we got was a kick in the teeth. If they're so concerned with our well being they would've greatly accelerated those with at least 10 years in to top pay with the new pay system. Instead they're making them work many more years before topping out. Be thankful for what you have. I bet if you went through what we did you'd whistle a different tune too.

Last edited:

Oldfart

But when you make much less than top out for 15 years then your contributions to the 401k as well as your portable pension contribution are much less. And at much lower pay it makes it much more difficult to contribute a full 6% while meeting your obligations. And at much lower pay you aren't living it up so don't talk to me about sacrifice. The fact is those of us who hung in there at lower pay sacrificed to work for this company and all we got was a kick in the teeth. If they're so concerned with our well being they would've greatly accelerated those with at least 10 years in to top pay with the new pay system. Instead they're making them work many more years before topping out. Be thankful for what you have. I bet if you went through what we did you'd whistle a different tune too.
If I hated it as much as many on here and got a hard on for UPS. I would go get another job.

Oldfart

Are you so dense that you can't comprehend the majority of FedEx workers don't have a what you claim to be an excellent retirement plan?
Are you so dense that you continue to work at a job you hate. Go find another job. I dont like eating at McDonalds so I quit eating there.

vantexan

If I hated it as much as many on here and got a hard on for UPS. I would go get another job.
We keep going over this...the economy tanked in 2008. Most of us were stuck with it. FedEx took full advantage. And I was at enough stations to know FedEx was having mgrs tell people that the company was looking at midrange pay, hang in there, better pay is coming, blah blah, blah. We hung in there because the company was at one time a great place with a future. But the only thing that finally caused them to come up with something better was newhire turnover. And now someone off the street can top out in 9 years but a 10 year employee is looking at another 7-8 years. But hey, you got yours so why care if your coworkers have to struggle? Am I lying about all this?

dezguy

Are you so dense that you can't comprehend the majority of FedEx workers don't have a what you claim to be an excellent retirement plan?
Don't bother. He got his, screw the kid doing the same job as him, making $10 less with no prospect of ever seeing the wage he or I have.

There is no point trying to get him to see the big picture because he is the big picture. No one else matters.

It will be fine

We keep going over this...the economy tanked in 2008. Most of us were stuck with it. FedEx took full advantage. And I was at enough stations to know FedEx was having mgrs tell people that the company was looking at midrange pay, hang in there, better pay is coming, blah blah, blah. We hung in there because the company was at one time a great place with a future. But the only thing that finally caused them to come up with something better was newhire turnover. And now someone off the street can top out in 9 years but a 10 year employee is looking at another 7-8 years. But hey, you got yours so why care if your coworkers have to struggle? Am I lying about all this?
I'd say you're lying about new hires topping out in 10 years. It's a 10 step plan, no way they increase everyone a step per year.

vantexan

I'd say you're lying about new hires topping out in 10 years. It's a 10 step plan, no way they increase everyone a step per year.
First off to be lying about it I'd have to have knowledge that what you are saying is true. What I do know is FedEx had to come up with a better plan because they had unacceptable turnover that was threatening their viability. If all this is just another scam they'll go down in flames. You however have a vested interest in Express not providing a better plan than you offer so when it comes down to who's lying I'll put my money on the "independent" contractor.

It will be fine

First off to be lying about it I'd have to have knowledge that what you are saying is true. What I do know is FedEx had to come up with a better plan because they had unacceptable turnover that was threatening their viability. If all this is just another scam they'll go down in flames. You however have a vested interest in Express not providing a better plan than you offer so when it comes down to who's lying I'll put my money on the "independent" contractor.
You of all people believing in promised raises from Fedex is remarkable.

Oldfart

So I guess the answer to my question is yes.

So I guess you are just too ignorant to get another job if you hate the one you have so much. Either that or hating your job gives you more to complain about, and that is your reason for waking up everyday.

MAKAVELI

So I guess you are just too ignorant to get another job if you hate the one you have so much. Either that or hating your job gives you more to complain about, and that is your reason for waking up everyday.
My reason for waking up everyday is to pi ss off people like you.:baseballplayer:

Oldfart

My reason for waking up everyday is to pi ss off people like you.:baseballplayer:
Better find a new hobby. Life is too good on my end to get angry and bitter. Will leave that up to the toxic trash like you and MFE. You wake up angry and go to be bitter.