Why collective bargaining?

Atomic_Smurf

Just earning a living. Got called in early today. Gotta work a little extra to compensate for our new out of pocket healthcare expenses that your guys are punishing working folks with.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

So you have an early start. I bet that was based on seniority. Seniority you know the foundation of a union shop. Did you know Ups was a union job when you got hired in. Did you ups pays you well cause they love you like family

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

So you have an early start. I bet that was based on seniority. Seniority you know the foundation of a union shop. Did you know Ups was a union job when you got hired in. Did you ups pays you well cause they love you like family

Sent using BrownCafe App
UPS loves & cares about my family about as much as the union bosses that are bank rolling the Democrats who are stealing a portion of our earned health insurance through HusseinCare . I'm under no illusion as to who negotiated our pay scale as it seems to be the only union benefit they protect. It stands to reason though. When we get a raise, the union gets a raise. They will submit to losing benefits, poor 9.5 language, sell out retirees, etc to protect the raises. A $200 raise a month = $0 if you're paying out that much more for a lost healthcare benefit.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

So when you opt out of the union in a rtw state, are you allowed to run for union office? Are you allowed to vote on contracts? Are you allowed to vote for official s. How can you reform or change the corruption from the outside. Chsnge the system from within

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Do you think ups would give you anything without negotiations? I didn't vote for the current contract, but I dont give up on the whole idea of collective bargaining, because of a bad contract. Would you rather work at ups without one

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

So when you opt out of the union in a rtw state, are you allowed to run for union office? Are you allowed to vote on contracts? Are you allowed to vote for official s. How can you reform or change the corruption from the outside. Chsnge the system from within

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes. Maybe & maybe. In RTW states most unions still ask to represent non-paying employees as it affords them more strength at the negotiation table & greater rights under federal law. Representing both dues paying & non-dues paying employees can force an employer back to the table or allow the union to file a case with the NLRB claiming the employer has failed to bargain in good faith, for example.

Change is only possible when you starve the beast. Just as in a free-market where people choose where to spend their money, a business wanting to earn that money is willing to change their business practices in order to gain that revenue, so that people will choose their service over the alternative. Contrast that with the accountability of the many govt bureaucracy's where the revenue stream is guaranteed regardless of how they represent us, preform, or provide their intended service.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

Atomic_Smurf

Do you think ups would give you anything without negotiations? I didn't vote for the current contract, but I dont give up on the whole idea of collective bargaining, because of a bad contract. Would you rather work at ups without one

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes they would give enough to keep people showing up to work. In a thriving economy that works fine but in a job market like we have today where there is a record number of people out of the workforce, unemployed & willing to do your job for half price it would be nearly impossible. I haven't given up on collective bargaining either but also realize that unless we put pressure on our leadership, they will continue to misrepresent our interests in favor of divvying up what's good for themselves & their crooked politicians.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Weaken the union beast, the whole the big business monster is licking its lips. You seem like a smart person, take those smarts and get involved with your union

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Or are a person who complains but doesn't what to get involved. Armchair quarterback s who yell about their leadership, but then give up their right to vote?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

In 91 a reform movement started with Ron Carey. Do you think that reform was achieved by opting out of the union? Do you see the contradictions? Your union is as strong as you are, Don't see how you can do that sitting on the sidelines

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Like the revolving door of part-timers? Come on you get what you pay for

Sent using BrownCafe App
Agreed. The union has been just as happy with the revolving door of part timers as the company has. It's why they received very little representation until the expansion of RTW which has forced the hand of negotiators to work toward a better starting wage & sooner insurance sign update. ( I'm thinking it was moved up 6 months?)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Weaken the union beast, the whole the big business monster is licking its lips. You seem like a smart person, take those smarts and get involved with your union

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm very involved. I don't want to weaken our Union I want to strengthen it by making it accountable to its members & by rejecting the lefts politics of division. We can't be united and strong by painting half of our members & a majority of non-union American workers & taxpayers as our enemy. Unions will never regain their strength or popularity until we support what is right for ALL of the working class. We can regain our popularity by showing people the benefits of being in a union instead of creating animosity toward ourselves by supporting legislation that harms our neighbors & then demanding waivers and exemptions from those very laws.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

In 91 a reform movement started with Ron Carey. Do you think that reform was achieved by opting out of the union? Do you see the contradictions? Your union is as strong as you are, Don't see how you can do that sitting on the sidelines

Sent using BrownCafe App
No. I understand it completely. Look at it this way, I think we can agree that it isn't the act of a strike alone that gives us leverage, after all we'd just be standing around not getting paid. It is the threat of a strike or the desire to end one that can force a better deal. In much the same way, it isn't the act of opting out of paying dues that gives members a voice, it is the threat of opting out or the reaction to those that do that can force change or reform from within. No one should want to strike for the purpose of destroying the company, nor opt out of dues to destroy the union but we can use the tools available to us to keep both sides of the bargaining table focused on reaching a fair deal for workers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Seems like a selfish choice. Support a national right to work agenda, because you are unhappy with your leadership. What about the other unions and millions of members

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

You act like unions take your money and put it directly in the pocket of politicians you disagree with. Approximately 3 dollars of your dues go to International. The rest go to to your local. D.R.I.VE. is voluntary, and unions can't legally direct dues to politicians

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Just because your international endorses a candidate, doesn't your money goes in their pocket. Of course they are going to endorse who threatens them less. Just like big business will endorse who best serves their interest. You can still vote for who want as a American citizen.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Seems like a selfish choice. Support a national right to work agenda, because you are unhappy with your leadership. What about the other unions and millions of members

Sent using BrownCafe App
I wouldn't want it just for myself. Other union members can benefit in their contract negotiations as well by supporting RTW in their states.

Sent using BrownCafe App