Why collective bargaining?

Atomic_Smurf

You guys claiming to be defending our union benefits remind me of when our 5 & 6 yr olds used to get up early to make a surprise breakfast for the wife & me. My gosh what a mess. I just had to keep reminding myself that their hearts were in the right place.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brown Spider

Yes. Maybe & maybe. In RTW states most unions still ask to represent non-paying employees as it affords them more strength at the negotiation table & greater rights under federal law. Representing both dues paying & non-dues paying employees can force an employer back to the table or allow the union to file a case with the NLRB claiming the employer has failed to bargain in good faith, for example.

Change is only possible when you starve the beast. Just as in a free-market where people choose where to spend their money, a business wanting to earn that money is willing to change their business practices in order to gain that revenue, so that people will choose their service over the alternative. Contrast that with the accountability of the many govt bureaucracy's where the revenue stream is guaranteed regardless of how they represent us, preform, or provide their intended service.

Sent using BrownCafe App

"Yes. Maybe & maybe."? Your "Yes" was in response to the question, "So when you opt out of the union in a rtw state, are you allowed to run for union office?" "Yes."? That is absolutely absurd! In order to be eligible to run for union office, a candidate must have paid their dues for the 24 consecutive months prior to the election. That rule is a provision of the IBT Constitution and there are no exceptions for non-members...rtw or otherwise! And unions do NOT "ask to represent non-paying employees" they're required by law to provide such representation to all employees within the bargaining unit. You may be okay with your dues and the union's resources being used to represent non-members. I'm not a big fan of the practice, but the law is the law. Large local unions with a lot of money can absorb those costs. It's much tougher on small local unions with limited resources and it's a burden on actual members who are paying for that representation. Of course...when the number of rtw employees begins to grow, a local union may review it's obligation to members who are actually footing the bill and exercise it's own option...that of disclaiming interest in the bargaining unit. Adios right to workers...and good luck getting another union in there!

purplesky

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]

You guys claiming to be defending our union benefits remind me of when our 5 & 6 yr olds used to get up early to make a surprise breakfast for the wife & me. My gosh what a mess. I just had to keep reminding myself that their hearts were in the right place.

Sent using BrownCafe App

So you are telling a group of Teamster Union members who average 95k a year in income,7 weeks of vacation,a good pension,a good 401k,paid for health insurance, and job protections and guidelines in case of a layoff,etc. and you consider this a bad deal for union upsers? Really? Seriously?

Why don't you go over to the FDX ground forum and convince them how lucky they are to have no union representation and how great it is to be a independent contractor?

Atomic_Smurf

"Yes. Maybe & maybe."? Your "Yes" was in response to the question, "So when you opt out of the union in a rtw state, are you allowed to run for union office?" "Yes."? That is absolutely absurd! In order to be eligible to run for union office, a candidate must have paid their dues for the 24 consecutive months prior to the election. That rule is a provision of the IBT Constitution and there are no exceptions for non-members...rtw or otherwise! And unions do NOT "ask to represent non-paying employees" they're required by law to provide such representation to all employees within the bargaining unit. You may be okay with your dues and the union's resources being used to represent non-members. I'm not a big fan of the practice, but the law is the law. Large local unions with a lot of money can absorb those costs. It's much tougher on small local unions with limited resources and it's a burden on actual members who are paying for that representation. Of course...when the number of rtw employees begins to grow, a local union may review it's obligation to members who are actually footing the bill and exercise it's own option...that of disclaiming interest in the bargaining unit. Adios right to workers...and good luck getting another union in there!
He wasn't asking about the IBT specifically, he asked about unions in general. Unions are required to represent all employees in a bargaining unit by law because they lobbied law makers for the ability to represent all employees in a bargaining unit. Crocodile tears.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Sent using BrownCafe App

So you are telling a group of Teamster Union members who average 95k a year in income,7 weeks of vacation,a good pension,a good 401k,paid for health insurance, and job protections and guidelines in case of a layoff,etc. and you consider this a bad deal for union upsers? Really? Seriously?

Why don't you go over to the FDX ground forum and convince them how lucky they are to have no union representation and how great it is to be a independent contractor?

Income is great, what's left after taxes. Vacations are awesome, pension is declining as retires pay more, 401k's are looking good as long as the quantitative easing continues & health insurance has taken quite a hit & will continue to decline as HusseinCare drives premiums up & we are locked into a set allowance for the union to administer. Besides its the IBT that's been telling it members that this contract just brings us "more in line with the industry standard" (FedEx)

I have no desire to destroy our union but unions are destroying themselves with leadership that is dividing its members along party lines & supporting legislation that harms workers & pits American's against each other.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

Brown Spider

He wasn't asking about the IBT specifically, he asked about unions in general. Unions are required to represent all employees in a bargaining unit by law because they lobbied law makers for the ability to represent all employees in a bargaining unit. Crocodile tears.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Unions in general, as well as the IBT, have requirements to hold union office that include membership in that union! Pretty simple, Smurf...your on car sup and your center manager are not eligible to run for office! And unions did NOT lobby lawmakers to represent non-members. That provision was part of Taft-Hartley in 1947.

purplesky

Income is great, what's left after taxes. Vacations are awesome, pension is declining as retires pay more, 401k's are looking good as long as the quantitative easing continues & health insurance has taken quite a hit & will continue to decline as HusseinCare drives premiums up & we are locked into a set allowance for the union to administer. Besides its the IBT that's been telling it members that this contract just brings us "more in line with the industry standard" (FedEx)

I have no desire to destroy our union but unions are destroying themselves with leadership that is dividing its members along party lines & supporting legislation that harms workers & pits American's against each other.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes you are definitely a rightwing troll.

1. Corporate America is making record profits and sitting on trillions of cash and buying back shares.
Not hiring and not giving raises. So WE HAVE A RECORD HIGH STOCK MARKET.
THE MARKETS WILL NOT CRASH WHEN QUANTITATIVE EASING STOPS. :wink2: Its earnings driving the markets.

2. Our overall pay and benefits package is incredible. Without the Teamsters we would not have a pension,we would also be paying out of pocket for health insurance.

3. Obamacare hasn't even been fully implemented so you don't know if its going to work or not?
If Obamacare doesn't work so what? Atleast somebody tried to fix Americas healthcare crisis.
We have Teamcare and now the Teamsters have control.

4. You are the only one dividing people politically with your one sided rightwing politics. MOST AMERICANS ARE MODERATES.

OFCOURSE THE UNIONS ARE GOING TO TELL THEIR MEMBERS TO VOTE FOR LABOR.
President Obama and the Democrats are pro worker.

The Republicans are proud of their anti worker agenda.

:censored2:! I just wasted time typing stuff for a troll. :oops: Time for a beer.

Atomic_Smurf

Unions in general, as well as the IBT, have requirements to hold union office that include membership in that union! Pretty simple, Smurf...your on car sup and your center manager are not eligible to run for office! And unions did NOT lobby lawmakers to represent non-members. That provision was part of Taft-Hartley in 1947.

Union bylaws requiring membership make sense by I was of the thinking it was just a simple nomination. Fair enough.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Yes you are definitely a rightwing troll.

1. Corporate America is making record profits and sitting on trillions of cash and buying back shares.
Not hiring and not giving raises. So WE HAVE A RECORD HIGH STOCK MARKET.
THE MARKETS WILL NOT CRASH WHEN QUANTITATIVE EASING STOPS. :wink2: Its earnings driving the markets.

2. Our overall pay and benefits package is incredible. Without the Teamsters we would not have a pension,we would also be paying out of pocket for health insurance.

3. Obamacare hasn't even been fully implemented so you don't know if its going to work or not?
If Obamacare doesn't work so what? Atleast somebody tried to fix Americas healthcare crisis.
We have Teamcare and now the Teamsters have control.

4. You are the only one dividing people politically with your one sided rightwing politics. MOST AMERICANS ARE MODERATES.

OFCOURSE THE UNIONS ARE GOING TO TELL THEIR MEMBERS TO VOTE FOR LABOR.
President Obama and the Democrats are pro worker.

The Republicans are proud of their anti worker agenda.

:censored2:! I just wasted time typing stuff for a troll. :oops: Time for a beer.

Didn't mean for you to get all emotional. If Obama & the Democrats are pro-worker, they have a funny way of showing it. They've done more to diminish unions & union benefits in the last 5 years than anyone could have imagined. They've ginned up this opposition to RTW to galvanize unions into hating the GOP to allow themselves more opportunities to redistribute our good union wages & benefits. If Democrats were truly "pro-worker" they would protect the benefits that we earn.

Sent using BrownCafe App

purplesky

Didn't mean for you to get all emotional. If Obama & the Democrats are pro-worker, they have a funny way of showing it. They've done more to diminish unions & union benefits in the last 5 years than anyone could have imagined. They've ginned up this opposition to RTW to galvanize unions into hating the GOP to allow themselves more opportunities to redistribute our good union wages & benefits. If Democrats were truly "pro-worker" they would protect the benefits that we earn.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I am not emotional about politics. But you sure are. As a moderate I can see things politically from both sides.
In a perfect world the Republicans would support higher wages for middle-class Americans. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY JUST DONT .

Dude you are just typing Republican talking points crap. Trying to Pushing buttons and not really making any clear points.

I am guessing you are in your 20s?

Last edited:

Atomic_Smurf

Next time you want someone to fix the entire US health care system start with someone that can fix a lawn mower & let them work their way up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

I am not emotional about politics. But you sure are. As a moderate I can see things politically from both sides.
In a perfect world the Republicans would support higher wages for middle-class Americans. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY JUST DONT .

Dude you are just typing Republican talking points crap. Trying to Pushing buttons and not really making any clear points.

I am guessing you are in your 20s?
Republicans do support higher wages for the middle class. Its called repealing the legislation that legalized insurance price gouging.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Atomic_Smurf

Why does Obama hate coal miners unions?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Attachments

• 1406410901302.jpg
    1406410901302.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 105

over10.5

Bottom line if your not a millionaire or bat :censored2: crazy then you should vote democrat. Otherwise your voting against your own interest.

Sent using BrownCafe App