Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you study the “97” Ron Carey did get a strike vote during the talks. Back then you had to go down to the Union Hall and yell “Nay” or “Yea” and raise your hand. You can easily guess what the results where... usually it runs 97 % for a strike...even with mailing it in it is not even close, again around 95 % for.

The last several strike authorization votes were for show only, the Company knew that Hoffa would never allow a work stoppage and acted accordingly.

Here is what could happen ... O’Brien will have the strike authorization vote in his pocket if it comes to that. It doesn’t matter what the percentage is of those who turned one in, usually under 20 % even bother. He has already revealed his intentions...No Extensions...none of this Retro Pay / Bonus:bsbullf:... He will not shake hands before he gets a good deal, he will already by then have the strike authorization vote from the rank and file that voted in his back pocket.
We had several members who got scared as the deadline came closer, having their wife’s calling the Union Hall asking for a vote on the Master. The Company tried their best to have the members put pressure for a final vote..Carey had none of it and we walked.

Go to 9:31 that’s where our boy Dave Murray gives his now famous last best and final offer speech

Thebrownblob

The tentative agreements announced Sunday include the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Division of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters; the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers; and the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers-Mechanical Department.

“The tentative agreements … include a 24% wage increase during the five-year period from 2020 to 2024 — with a 14.1% wage increase effective immediately — and five annual $1,000 lump sum payments

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Go to 9:31 that’s where our boy Dave Murray gives his now famous last best and final offer speech

Great reference material for those who were not around in “97”... particularly those members that weren’t even born then.

If this 2023 strike happens it will many the “97” one look like a walk in the part..

Why:

A. More media coverage, social and the networks. You can count on total support for the strikers whether they be CNN or FOX.

B. We have over 350,000 union members now compared to the 187,000 in “97” and more career minded full timers.

C. The other major or smaller Unions will be involved also..if the Company plays hard ball it will just activate the underlying resentment that the American workers have toward the rich elites who are running these profitable corporations. Everybody better be studying the aftermath of this pandemic, corporate profits are massive and the cost of living is still running over 8 percent.

D. This will be the first contract under the O’Brien and Tome regimes, neither one wants a strike if they can avoid one. There is “Not one central issue now” that would warrant a strike or close shop action. The “97” strike had to do the collapse of the Central States plan and the projected company liabilities, the reason that the Company wanted more part time positions is that do not have to contribute more to most our Union controlled pension plans. When the Union agreed decades ago to have more part time positions over creating full time ones they were cutting their own throats, it really affected the much needed monetary contributions needed to keep the Central afloat. That problem is settled thanks to the federal bail outs, which was heavily lobbied for by both the Company and Union.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Great reference material for those who were not around in “97”... particularly those members that weren’t even born then.

If this 2023 strike happens it will many the “97” one look like a walk in the part..

Why:

A. More media coverage, social and the networks. You can count on total support for the strikers whether they be CNN or FOX.

B. We have over 350,000 union members now compared to the 187,000 in “97” and more career minded full timers.

C. The other major or smaller Unions will be involved also..if the Company plays hard ball it will just activate the underlying resentment that the American workers have toward the rich elites who are running these profitable corporations. Everybody better be studying the aftermath of this pandemic, corporate profits are massive and the cost of living is still running over 8 percent.

D. This will be the first contract under the O’Brien and Tome regimes, neither one wants a strike if they can avoid one. There is “Not one central issue now” that would warrant a strike or close shop action. The “97” strike had to do the collapse of the Central States plan and the projected company liabilities, the reason that the Company wanted more part time positions is that do not have to contribute more to most our Union controlled pension plans. When the Union agreed decades ago to have more part time positions over creating full time ones they were cutting their own throats, it really affected the much needed monetary contributions needed to keep the Central afloat. That problem is settled thanks to the federal bail outs, which was heavily lobbied for by both the Company and Union.

All the fat asses in management.... need to start getting measured for uniforms.

1663097051586.png

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
All the fat asses in management.... need to start getting measured for uniforms.

View attachment 400735

Unfortunately most of the fat asses retires long time ago and living the life of O’Riley on a beach 🏖 in Florida...

During the “97” strike in our building all of the big bone managers stayed in their offices and made the young on roads venture out and test the picket lines.... Really a safe move because we had a couple that were real A-HOLES.

DriverNerd

What pt's are you referring to? At 15 years pt i was several dollars over $20
My wife is at 18 years and makes $24. Considering the last two colas contribute over a dollar of that, that puts her right around $20/hr at 15 years. Either just over or just under. Certainly not several dollars over. If you started right after a contract, you'd be stuck with 50 cent raises for the first couple years and would definitely be under $20.

Shorts365

Why:

I bet you $5 that FOX will be less than fully sympathetic to us Teamsters. Shoot, I doubt any of them will.

Also I’d love for point C to come true.

MostHelpNeeded

I bet you $5 that FOX will be less than fully sympathetic to us Teamsters. Shoot, I doubt any of them will.

Also I’d love for point C to come true.
We're the largest labor union and that largest single employer union in the country. If we can't make point C come true, there is no hope for the middle class. There has never been a better time than now, at least not in my life time.

Shorts365

We're the largest labor union and that largest single employer union in the country. If we can't make point C come true, there is no hope for the middle class. There has never been a better time than now, at least not in my life time.
I guess I'm less optimistic these days. The middle class seems to have no understanding of what solidarity means. To quote Steinbeck, everyone seems be a temporarily embarrassed millionaire. I mean, there's tons of dirtbags on this here forum that think they themselves would be better off without being in a union.

PACNW

I know that as of August the top rate is $40/hour. What are UPS Teamsters unhappy enough about that you might go on strike next year? I’m not dismissing the reasons, I’m just curious.
In addition to the reasons already stated, here are a couple of other things the public doesn't know about what we have to deal with.

For many of us, the top issue is working conditions.
In many areas we were treated horribly during the pandemic. 60 hours per week and we had several weeks that the company was granted an exemption to extend us to 70 hours a week, so 14 hours a day. Discipline for calling in sick and threatened with discharge. They even tried discipline for and challenged people that took time off for funerals.

Many areas of the country are working in buildings that were built to accommodate half of the capacity they are pushing through. We are still using U-Hauls at my facility. Locker and bathroom facilities that are broken and crowded because they are used for company storage.

PT Car Washer

In addition to the reasons already stated, here are a couple of other things the public doesn't know about what we have to deal with.

In many areas we were treated horribly during the pandemic. 60 hours per week and we had several weeks that the company was granted an exemption to extend us to 70 hours a week, so 14 hours a day. Discipline for calling in sick and threatened with discharge. They even tried discipline for and challenged people that took time off for funerals.

Many areas of the country are working in buildings that were built to accommodate half of the capacity they are pushing through. We are still using U-Hauls at my facility. Locker and bathroom facilities that are broken and crowded because they are used for company storage.
All of these issues should be resolved within the current contract.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’ve been forced to work 6 days a week for over three years now. Pretty good reason to strike.
I am so sick of “well we came up heavy today and are understaffed this week so everyone is screwed” we have been under staffed for 2+ years. Hire some people already. I’m ready to strike just for a break at this point.

Volume fluctuations is a real issue too. When you need to run 20% more routes 2 days a week than the rest of the days that’s a problem.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How much of a raise/pension bump would it take for you to forget about the other stuff and vote yes?

Thebrownblob

Damn they pulled the 70 hour rule on you? Crazy that didn’t happen here. I’m surprised it didn’t though.